Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best koi food for growth

Tosai

Best koi food for growth

Hi ibe been researching for koi food for growth, last year i used Zielger and it was good, but always checking to see if anythign else new. I understand that saki or danchi could be better, but its not in my budget to spend $40+ for 5 lbs. i have about 120 6-9 koi this year.

Anyone have any detlails about this food called "thrive koi"

Thank you

Never heard of it, but I Googled "Thrive Koi Flourish" and it ain't cheap ether.

If price is what you want, look into rangen or silver cup. both are made in america and koi food is but a part of their lines. both have been around a long time.

Another Avenue to look into is buying food in bulk. perhaps with other koi keepers, so you can save a few bucks a pound. Some clubs have approached manufacturers and distributors about buying in bigger amounts for better pricing. Just be sure in buying in bulk to break the volumn down into usable packs and see that which is stored is done so properly. feeding old or improperly stored food is no "bargain". For you or your
    Koi.
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by glupo View Post
    Hi ibe been researching for koi food for growth, last year i used Zielger and it was good, but always checking to see if anythign else new. I understand that saki or danchi could be better, but its not in my budget to spend $40+ for 5 lbs. i have about 120 6-9 koi this year.

Anyone have any detlails about this food called "thrive koi"

Thank you

Glupo,

There are many things to consider when choosing a feed. However if you where to only look at growth then you will want a food that has the best "feed conversion ratio"(FCR).
    This is calculated by dividing the # of pounds of feed given over a period of time by the # of pounds of weight change in the koi.

So if 5 pounds where feed over a given period and the weight gain in the koi was 2.5 pounds then the feed conversion ratio (FCR) would be 2. So 2 pounds of feed creates 1 pound of fish.

The highest performing koi foods will have a FCR of about 1.

Sounds technical but it is important because the FCR can hit you right in the wallet. You started the thread with the title "best koi food for growth". If you feed a lower quality food the FCR could be 3 or even worse. So you can take the price you paid per pound and multiply it by 3 and this becomes the cost to grow a pound of koi.

So if you bought a $4 feed and the FCR was 3, the cost to grow a pound of koi is $12.
    But if you bought an $8 feed and the FCR was 1, the cost to grow a pound of koi is $8.

So when you ask for the best and throw the budget in there be careful what you buy.
    Matt Sklar

MCA
    For me the best compromise between quality and cost is Blackwater Creek Gold-N. For top quality look at Kenzen or the Saki Hikari line.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsklar View Post
    Glupo,

There are many things to consider when choosing a feed. However if you where to only look at growth then you will want a food that has the best "feed conversion ratio"(FCR).
    This is calculated by dividing the # of pounds of feed given over a period of time by the # of pounds of weight change in the koi.

So if 5 pounds where feed over a given period and the weight gain in the koi was 2.5 pounds then the feed conversion ratio (FCR) would be 2. So 2 pounds of feed creates 1 pound of fish.

The highest performing koi foods will have a FCR of about 1.

Sounds technical but it is important because the FCR can hit you right in the wallet. You started the thread with the title "best koi food for growth". If you feed a lower quality food the FCR could be 3 or even worse. So you can take the price you paid per pound and multiply it by 3 and this becomes the cost to grow a pound of koi.

So if you bought a $4 feed and the FCR was 3, the cost to grow a pound of koi is $12.
    But if you bought an $8 feed and the FCR was 1, the cost to grow a pound of koi is $8.

So when you ask for the best and throw the budget in there be careful what you buy.
    Thank you for this. Itry to buy in bulk i dont like to use last years food either. I want to be able to fee them the best that I could afford for them. Their a lot of brands that i dont even considere because i think there junk, just didnt know if their is anything new or what you guys are using. LIke i said i use Zeigler last year and it was good. just curious of everyone elses

I'm very happy with kenzen

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    For me the best compromise between quality and cost is Blackwater Creek Gold-N. For top quality look at Kenzen or the Saki Hikari line.
    TOMiGai is good too.

Sansai
    Ricshaw did you try FD food yet? Where do you buy FD in south California?

Quote Originally Posted by nguyen4 View Post
    Ricshaw did you try FD food yet? Where do you buy FD in south California?
    I found it in Northern California at GENKI.

It is too expensive for my needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast