Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: 5th Grand Champion title at Koi Society of Australia held May 19th

5th Grand Champion title at Koi Society of Australia held May 19th

2013 KSA Grand Champion - photo courtesy of John Ling

Ming Vans' Kohaku won Grand Champion again this year. What a remarkable achievement, to have won a total of 5 KSA Grand Champion titles.

This male won in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and now in 2013. Perhaps an unequalled number of titles at one show?

I cannot say it is an unequaled record, but I doubt anyone can say it is not. There aren't many koi that have won 5 GCs. And there are aren't many males that hold up so well for so long.

Query: Has he been bred? Good show males generally do not make good breeders, but maybe he is an exception.

Whenever I review the photos of entries in KSA shows I am reminded of how much our Aussie hobbyists overcome to make the hobby. There are no more true kichi anywhere in the world.

I am reluctant to compare culled outcomes directly with commercial breeding as the volumes are so different. Some manage to raise as few as a couple of hundred fry and others manage maybe 10,000 up to a meaningful culling stage.

Brings up the interesting situation of allowing a koi to be entered year after year in a national or major show. Roland, skipped a year in japan and then came back to win again.

I think there are good arguments both pro and con for either practice.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Brings up the interesting situation of allowing a koi to be entered year after year in a national or major show. Roland, skipped a year in japan and then came back to win again.

I think there are good arguments both pro and con for either practice.
    Yes, and repeat entries can cause issues, particularly if the owner is an 'outsider' who is perceived as just showing up with a ringer to grab a prize and not otherwise contributing to the show or sponsoring organization. My opinion, however, differs according to the scope of the show. If it is a major show that really encourages entries from far and wide, I favor having past winners re-entered. If they are still worthy of claiming top honors, they should be so recognized. And, if they are beaten, it makes the win all the more special. There will be some grumbles about re-entering in back-to-back shows, but the overall effect is to build up the competition. That is what major shows are about. On the other hand, when it is a small show primarily composed of local area hobbyists, I think it is better form for a person not to re-enter the prior year's GC, and particularly so if the person is not one of the workers involved in putting on the show. Having someone claim GC repeatedly without having worked in the trenches to put on the show can cause a loss of the energy needed to keep the show going.