Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spartacus
  • 1 Post By MikeM

Thread: Newly Acquired Tosai

Tosai

Newly Acquired Tosai

Hi All, Just recently acquired a tosai sanke from Gonjiro. The mother is from Sakai. Please comment good and bad point of the tosai. The purpose is to learn more so that good points can be remembered and bad points can be avoided for future purchases. The shortcut is as per attached. Gonjiro Tosai Sanke 31 BU - YouTube
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

I love sanke, and appreciate the pattern on your koi. The shoulder sumi coming in on the opposite slant as all the others stripes of black will be it's highlight. Two red steps from the nose in and two at the tail section out. I've never owned a koi from that breeder, but think your going to enjoy your experience raising yours.

Looks male to me.

Picking up on Dick's comment about the sumi, I am wondering whether more sumi will come closer to the head. It looks to me that sumi is developing from the rear forward. I have a Momotaro Sanke that as nisai showed sumi only in the rear fourth of the body, in the area between the end of the dorsal and the caudal fins. Over the course of one year, sumi came in along the full length of the body up to the shoulder. Right now, I see 'him' as 'Setting Sun Reflected On The Water'. If the sumi progresses toward the head, I do not know if so poetic a name will fit.

I like the glistening in the shiroji.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    I love sanke, and appreciate the pattern on your koi. The shoulder sumi coming in on the opposite slant as all the others stripes of black will be it's highlight. Two red steps from the nose in and two at the tail section out. I've never owned a koi from that breeder, but think your going to enjoy your experience raising yours.
    Dick

Many thanks on your tips, especially the nose and the tail, will take note on that

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Looks male to me.

Picking up on Dick's comment about the sumi, I am wondering whether more sumi will come closer to the head. It looks to me that sumi is developing from the rear forward. I have a Momotaro Sanke that as nisai showed sumi only in the rear fourth of the body, in the area between the end of the dorsal and the caudal fins. Over the course of one year, sumi came in along the full length of the body up to the shoulder. Right now, I see 'him' as 'Setting Sun Reflected On The Water'. If the sumi progresses toward the head, I do not know if so poetic a name will fit.

I like the glistening in the shiroji.
    Mike,

let's see how this tosai progresses, i am also not familiar with Gonjiro , see how the sumi will progress later, will update,

As for the sex, the breeder sold it as a female guranteed, anyway even breeder can be wrong , by the way , mike, like to learn from you, how do you judge this tosai as male? Is it because the fish finishes too fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Mike,

let's see how this tosai progresses, i am also not familiar with Gonjiro , see how the sumi will progress later, will update,

As for the sex, the breeder sold it as a female guranteed, anyway even breeder can be wrong , by the way , mike, like to learn from you, how do you judge this tosai as male? Is it because the fish finishes too fast?
    Just because it looks male to me in the video does not mean it is male. Some of the very large mature females I really like had a 'male look' about them when around 12 inches. I get the impression of being male from the 'flatness' of the body line in the area where the head/gill plate joins the body. The yellowish tone in the pectorals adds to the impression (but not necessarily indicative of anything). Telling the sex of a tosai from a photo is not reliably possible. These are traits that would cause me to ask for a sex determination. Since the breeder says female, you really have it from the best authority on the fish. BTW, what I like about female tosai that have a 'male look' about them is that they seem to tend toward growing to good size and have a very strong swimming movement. They seem to end up holding their eggs well, with less of a tendency toward bulging. They may not get the 'blimp' physique of a SFF Kohaku, but even when full-bodied they are streamlined and glide through the water so gracefully.
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.