Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

Is that program about gobblers, or bottles?

Gobblers Mike - the feathered kind. But I got to tell ya, that after a long day of trapping an relocating these guys, generally a toast with "Wild Turkey" was appropriate. It was kinda like getting two birds with one stone.

Trapping & relocating wild turkeys? I am not a hunter myself, but a few of my clients are. We are at the end of our spring gobbler season. Couple of weeks ago I visited a property a client is having some governmental problems with. ... many miles from the nearest tract home, a hard thing to find in central Florida. As we bumped along over palmettos heading into a oak hammock area, a flock of well over a dozen went racing across our path. It was a beautiful sight. Usually only see a few at a time. Client was very upset that no gun had been brought along. We have stringent regulations protecting a multitude of species, but so far turkeys are no where close to being a concern. To the contrary, they seem to be multiplying as a result of feeding stations set up in no-hunting zones.

Jumbo
    In New Jersey, we're hitting them with cars- some things can't be helped! JR

Mike and JR - wild turkeys are doing extremely well in 49 states, including Hawaii. For years states raised and released game farm reared turkeys without success. The population explosion over the past 20 years is due primarily to the successful trapping and relocating of "wild birds" to areas where they once existed or into new areas with suitable habitat, even in states where they were not native. A really adaptable species. To hear the sound of a wild turkey gobble responding to your imitation of a hen call in the spring and then come to the gun is an experience unlike any other. About as close to nature as one gets.
    A funny story on myself - Over a period of 22 years while managing the wild turkey priogram here in Washington, I personally handled thousands of birds. This included routinely taking fecal samples and drawing blood for testing from most of these individual birds. not a big deal.
    When I got into this hobby and had to give my first injection to a smaller koi, I was shaking like a leaf, thought I was going to kill the poor thing - go figure. Twenty five pounds of gobbler vs. 4 or 5 ounces of koi - had a good laugh afterwards.

For you Peony fans. Approximately half in bloom, with 5 or 6 more ready to open. Kinda like an exotic shade tree for the young ones in the small pond.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12