Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need help with water quality - new growing pond

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
    Stop your fish from partly suffocating.

The lifeblood of all koi ponds is lots and lots of AIR ,turn that bottom water on it's head to interface/ interact with the air above which

contains the oxygen needed for all healthy life and growth.

No flowers in the hospital ward after dark. For fear of CO2 being given off.

Garfield
    I understand the need for lots of O2 in the pond for the koi. My air stones and water inlets have always been vigorous 24/7. Interested to know the ill effects of green water/algae in my QT (Day and Night)?

It won't be much longer to get back my clear water. With the UV bulb change, there is already significant difference in the clarity. It will be clear again by the end of the week. Life back to normal.

MCA
    No plant including algae plays a vital role in nitrification or denitrification. Plants cycle between photosynthesis and reparation releasing alternatively O2 and CO2 into the water. That can cause a ping pong effect in pH unless there is enough KH to offset the acid (carbonic acid caused by CO2 dissolved into the water).

In a mud pond the koi skin is protected by the turbidity of the suspended mud particles.

Check the QT this morning. Its BACK! Crystal clear water. Amazing what the UV did in a week.

Where do all the dead algae go when they die (leaving gin clear water)? Are they laying on the bottom of my filter chambers or stuck in the media sponges?

So the past six months, my UV has been out of commission due to burnt transformer. The water was clear the whole time and then a month ago, I got a huge blume of algae. The water went green in a matter of a week. I wasn't worried as I still did my usual water changes and maintenance. However, a couple weeks later, I tested the water and to my shock, there were low levels of ammonia in the water. I increased my water changes to 20% 3 times a week, but in two weeks time, the ammonia levels were still detectable.

I'm really used to ZERO ammonia levels regularly. I continue to make the water changes and ammonia is low, but still there. I got my replacement UV transformer and got the UV back online to clear the water again. It will be another week to get my crystal water back. I did a light wash down cleaning of my filter chambers and J-Matt media to get rid of any debris and bad stuff and a good flush of my filter media. Hoping to get back to normal.

Question: Does the presence of increased levels of algae increase the chance of increased levels of ammonia?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456