Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The bugs are bad this year

Hoping to get back on subject. Effective treatment requires using the correct product at the proper dose for the proper length of time and then rechecking the koi for parasites and retreating again if necessary. All to often I hear about failed treatments that were lacking identification of the specific parasite/s. Then using either a product that is poor choice or at the wrong concentration or length of time. I am not saying this happened with the hobbyists that had problems mentioned in this thread but I have yet to read which parasites were identified and what treatments failed.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

MCA
    If I were to pick a shotgun treatment without knowing specific parasites, I would do multiday FMG followed by praziquantel. That protocol set hits the widest range of parasites and does not require filter bypass.

But as Ray points out, nothing beats knowing which parasite(s) is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Hoping to get back on subject. Effective treatment requires using the correct product at the proper dose for the proper length of time and then rechecking the koi for parasites and retreating again if necessary. All to often I hear about failed treatments that were lacking identification of the specific parasite/s. Then using either a product that is poor choice or at the wrong concentration or length of time. I am not saying this happened with the hobbyists that had problems mentioned in this thread but I have yet to read which parasites were identified and what treatments failed.
    Ray you must have missed post #5.
    Yes Mike,

Trichodina, and flukes...confirmed by vets in two different states. Apparently Trichodina isn't just one parasite but a family of parasites.

In one of these cases a friend received a couple of sansai for 5k each...and month and a half worth of vet visits and injectables for another 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Ray you must have missed post #5.
    Yes, sorry I did miss the id of flukes & Trichodina. I still do no see what treatment/s utilized that failed and what eventually worked.

Nisai
    Haven't had issues with my fish for years simply because I haven't added any to my collection. Oh well & darn, I lost 3 Koi this year; first in years and it was mainly bad cases of Hikkui on 20 + yrs old females Kohakus. So, stupid me couldn't resist and added 2 fish to my pond. A superb & perfect yellow/lemon ogon female and a very nice Kinkikuryu. All good and 4-5 days later, hell broke loose. Mind you, the 2 Koi had been in Q tanks for 6 months, treated & re-retreated to be sure & safe. I immediately added 150 Lbs of salt which brought it to 3 PPM, monitored my fish closely and confirmed I had a good case of Costia developing. Started last Saturday to treat with MinnFinn, have been treating daily and will probably do a few more treatments. Happy to report that the fish are much better, white coating slothing off and eyes less cloudy. They are back to eating.
    Had it not been for MinnFinn, I would have lost my fish who have been with me for over 30 yrs. To see my Chagoi of 36" in distress was very upsetting. Lesson learned: no more fish, not worth the risk and it was a close call regardless of the fact that I took every darn precaution possible.
    * scoped, did all that is required to ID them bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by thefishlady View Post
    Haven't had issues with my fish for years simply because I haven't added any to my collection. Oh well & darn, I lost 3 Koi this year; first in years and it was mainly bad cases of Hikkui on 20 + yrs old females Kohakus. So, stupid me couldn't resist and added 2 fish to my pond. A superb & perfect yellow/lemon ogon female and a very nice Kinkikuryu. All good and 4-5 days later, hell broke loose. Mind you, the 2 Koi had been in Q tanks for 6 months, treated & re-retreated to be sure & safe. I immediately added 150 Lbs of salt which brought it to 3 PPM, monitored my fish closely and confirmed I had a good case of Costia developing. Started last Saturday to treat with MinnFinn, have been treating daily and will probably do a few more treatments. Happy to report that the fish are much better, white coating slothing off and eyes less cloudy. They are back to eating.
    Had it not been for MinnFinn, I would have lost my fish who have been with me for over 30 yrs. To see my Chagoi of 36" in distress was very upsetting. Lesson learned: no more fish, not worth the risk and it was a close call regardless of the fact that I took every darn precaution possible.
    * scoped, did all that is required to ID them bugs.
    Some Koi hobbyist refer to that as the boy in the bubble syndrome. The thinking is that Koi that are isolated from new Koi for many years do not have the immune system to fight off new evolved diseases.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Some Koi hobbyist refer to that as the boy in the bubble syndrome. The thinking is that Koi that are isolated from new Koi for many years do not have the immune system to fight off new evolved diseases.
    Yes, I know. I do add a fish or two every few years but my fear like everyone else, is KHV.
    I can "lick" parasites, have not had any bacterial infections and if my fish bruise themselves and have open wounds, I do nothing & let them heal on their own which they do. I've got tough fish to a point, Costia on the other hand is no laughing matter regardless of how strong a fish is.
    Mine have all pulled through, no casualties and now healing. A few still appear to have a coating over their eyes and that too shall pass.
    I have a high number of fish, always have and have done great for the 30 yrs that I have had my 55 + koi in 8,000 gls pond with massive filtration & aeration and no UV.

Quote Originally Posted by thefishlady View Post
    Yes, I know. I do add a fish or two every few years but my fear like everyone else, is KHV.
    I can "lick" parasites, have not had any bacterial infections and if my fish bruise themselves and have open wounds, I do nothing & let them heal on their own which they do. I've got tough fish to a point, Costia on the other hand is no laughing matter regardless of how strong a fish is.
    Mine have all pulled through, no casualties and now healing. A few still appear to have a coating over their eyes and that too shall pass.
    I have a high number of fish, always have and have done great for the 30 yrs that I have had my 55 + koi in 8,000 gls pond with massive filtration & aeration and no UV.

I recently have been hearing "Costia" a lot. Sounds like Costia has reared its ugly head.

A diagnosis at more than one location

At least two parties that have been working through the problem this season have sent fish to UC Davis. Tissue from the kidney where cultured.

The staff at Davis have returned a diagnosis of an antibiotic resistant bacteria. As it turns out the costia and flukes were secondary to the bacterial infection.

Which means that once the costia and flukes where cleared it was the bacterial infection that continued to kill koi, sometimes with dropsy like symptoms.

oxytetracycline does not kill this bacteria. Contact UC Davis if you are having trouble like this. The problem is not localized to one area.
    Matt Sklar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123