Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The bugs are bad this year

The bugs are bad this year

The last month has been rough for at least 10 koi keepers I know from different parts of the country. New imports have been sent out with parasites, and they seem especially tough to get rid of this year. Everyone that I have spoken with reports having to go above and beyond typical treatment protocols. After all else failed, 6ppm Pot Perm finally terminated the problem in at least 4 cases.

What's going on out there? What is working and what is not, surely there are more stories.

Quote Originally Posted by mtsklar View Post
    The last month has been rough for at least 10 koi keepers I know from different parts of the country. New imports have been sent out with parasites, and they seem especially tough to get rid of this year. Everyone that I have spoken with reports having to go above and beyond typical treatment protocols. After all else failed, 6ppm Pot Perm finally terminated the problem in at least 4 cases.

What's going on out there? What is working and what is not, surely there are more stories.
    It's the dawning of the super bug.

Anyone try using a microscope?

Nisai
    One instance that I know of. Japanese import, renowned breeder, proper QT protocols for 6+ weeks by someone w/20++ years of experience, placed in pond, sure enough, the other fish showed initial signs of bacterial infection. Took a PP treatment to remedy the situation. Microscope? doubt it as I did not ask for specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Anyone try using a microscope?
    Yes Mike,

Trichodina, and flukes...confirmed by vets in two different states. Apparently Trichodina isn't just one parasite but a family of parasites.

In one of these cases a friend received a couple of sansai for 5k each...and month and a half worth of vet visits and injectables for another 3k.

There was a type of trichodina going back 15+ years that people would say could only be tackled with PP. I don't think it was ever identified, but folks said it was tough to defeat. Perhaps there really is such a super-strain and it is back. There are also reports of a particularly tough strain of costia popping up from time to time. I have not had to deal with such super-strains. Sometimes I wonder if these reports really concern super-strains, or a really heavy infestation that requires more effort. It really does not matter. Whatever it is, when parasites attack, it is important to get on top of the situation quickly. It's good for folks to be on alert. Trich, costia and flukes all can lead to bacterial infections.

With high-priced koi, the exporters usually check out the fish rather thoroughly before shipping. It would be good to privately communicate back up the chain so those involved know and can take steps to prevent a recurrence, assuming it was not something already in the pond taking advantage of fish weakened by shipment.

It is amazing to me that koi keepers will spend thousands of dollars for a koi and then fail to run their koi through a appropriate quarantine. It is important to check for parasites at the first sign of an issue during the quarantine and all koi should be checked prior to release in the pond regardless. Get someone to teach you how to properly scrape and scope your fish. One of the new digital microscopes with a led screen costs less than $200. They are super easy to use and teach someone how to check for parasites. Depending on the size and construction of a Quarantine system they can be built for as little as $1,000 for 1,000 gallons.

It is my experience that parasite infections are the real issue less than half the time. Stress and poor water quality are the more common culprits. Regardless, you should be able to scrape and scope your fish whenever a issue occurs. Also after treating your koi for the specific type of parasite you have identified you need to scrape and scope again to be sure they have been eradicated.
    thefishlady likes this.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    It is amazing to me that koi keepers will spend thousands of dollars for a koi and then fail to run their koi through a appropriate quarantine. It is important to check for parasites at the first sign of an issue during the quarantine and all koi should be checked prior to release in the pond regardless. Get someone to teach you how to properly scrape and scope your fish. One of the new digital microscopes with a led screen costs less than $200. They are super easy to use and teach someone how to check for parasites. Depending on the size and construction of a Quarantine system they can be built for as little as $1,000 for 1,000 gallons.

It is my experience that parasite infections are the real issue less than half the time. Stress and poor water quality are the more common culprits. Regardless, you should be able to scrape and scope your fish whenever a issue occurs. Also after treating your koi for the specific type of parasite you have identified you need to scrape and scope again to be sure they have been eradicated.
    Ray,

I assure you that the fish related to this thread where in QT, and under the care of very skilled water keepers. When parasites where found traditional treatment methods where used and failed.

Ray,

I assure you that the fish related to this thread where in QT, and under the care of very skilled water keepers. When parasites where found traditional treatment methods where used and failed.
    Good to hear they were in quarantine but sorry to know that the treatments failed. What parasites were identified and what treatments failed?

So dealers are doing a bad job at QT'ing this year? Or are all these folks maybe buying from the same dealer? The koi dealer is responsible for QT'ing and eradicating any bugs on the koi they are selling no matter where they come from. Some of the problems could also be coincidence. Parasite infestations sometimes take a while to really ramp up and last month was still fairly early in the season and still in the danger zone for many areas so if they just happened to add a koi while parasites were still building up...
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast