Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeM

Thread: Momotaro: Volume Production

Momotaro: Volume Production

I have been catching up on the news at websites of some of my favorite breeders. This year Momotaro is putting 5 million black fry from its Mako Showa line in the growing ponds. Think about that. It is not unusual for leading Showa breeders to think several hundred thousand makes for very good chance of success. I'm thinking Momotaro is aiming right at Dainichi in the competition for producing top Showa.

That's competition that has to move Showa to an ever higher level of accomplishment.
    ricshaw likes this.

MCA
    And because the quality goes up at the elite level, there will be a eventual trickle down. Remember we all win with a healthy show scene that drives the production of better and better nishikigoi.

Definitely. There are a lot of 'nice but not great' koi in ponds all over the world that would have been considered among the best in the world 20 years ago.

Showa is my favorite variety. It will be exciting to see the supply side on this variety increase. Thanks Mike!

This could get interesting really quickly. Nothing like a good ol' rivalry to pique the interest...

This gets me wondering- why have waited for this long??? Was it just thought of now? Were they not prepared facility wise (enough space)? Not enough good oyagoi balance??? Or maybe just the stars and moons have lined up and hobbyist will reap the rewards???

Damn good strategy too by Momotaro- go after the top dog and the variety that is hot right now- Dainchi Showa. How does a breeder do that? How does he go after top dog??? Volume! Plain and simple. Increase production volume on that variety by a factor of 10. Genius!

Nice forethought Mike- thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    How does a breeder do that? How does he go after top dog??? Volume! Plain and simple.
    ... and excellent bloodline. If it was simple, others would have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    This year Momotaro is putting 5 million black fry from its Mako Showa line in the growing ponds.
    Sort of begs the question of how many female oyagoi will be needed to get that many black fry. Let's do some math. Assume 1,000,000 viable fry from each female.(or is it more?) Assume about half will not be black (could be wrong here). Well if assumptions are near correct it would take about 10 female oyagoi showa to produce 5,000,000 black fry. Do they artificially spawn their koi at Momotaro? I sure wouldn't want to be the one who had to count out 5,000,000 black fry. Also are they just going to cull much harder or are they going to be dumping a lot more second and third culling fry on the market? Seems it would tend to bring down prices at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I have been catching up on the news at websites of some of my favorite breeders. This year Momotaro is putting 5 million black fry from its Mako Showa line in the growing ponds. Think about that. It is not unusual for leading Showa breeders to think several hundred thousand makes for very good chance of success. I'm thinking Momotaro is aiming right at Dainichi in the competition for producing top Showa.

That's competition that has to move Showa to an ever higher level of accomplishment.
    Isa is another showa breeder coming on strong!! I am fairly certain that Dainichi produces way more than 5 million showa black fry each year. By contrast a smaller breeder with a single showa spawn might produce less than 50,000 showa black fry. It is also critical to keep the vast majority of these tiny black showa fry alive and growing because the best quality tends to be the weakest and first to die if any issues develop. It is not easy to produce great koi. It much much more difficult to produce great showa.