Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anoxic Filters: Updates from anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    Are you implying hikui was caused by warm water and sun and not at all caused by your addition of anoxic filter perhaps? Are you sure its hikui?
    No, I stated it very explicitly.

Are you implying hikui was caused by warm water and sun and not at all caused by your addition of anoxic filter perhaps? Are you sure its hikui?
    Maybe it's not hikui, but it's not argulus either. It's on the same location all the time. Near the dorsal ridge by the front shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Maybe it's not hikui, but it's not argulus either. It's on the same location all the time. Near the dorsal ridge by the front shoulder.
    I really mixed things up. I meant shimi, not hikui.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    I really mixed things up. I meant shimi, not hikui.
    So shimi was caused by warm water and sunlight ?

So shimi was caused by warm water and sunlight ?
    If you can add 1+1, you must know to substitute.

I now think we can move this discussion to the other thread entitled " Filter Walls..."

Eight months into my move into anoxic filtration, I'd like to share my experience in using it.

My pond is roughly 5000 gallons or 20,000 liter in capacity, with a 2,000 liter sized multi-chamber filter. Counting 4 chambers, first is a radial flow chamber, which acts as a settlement chamber. At its end is a cubic foot of k1 media forming a static bed, serving as a mechanical filter, before effluent moves to the second chamber, which is mainly a mini-raceway about 1 meter long. At its end, a 500-micron net filters particles that don't settle. The third and fourth chambers are biofilter chambers. The third chamber contains 4 planted bcb's (biocenosis baskets) while the fourth chamber has 4 non-planted bcb's. Each bcb measures 7x7x11" and contains bentonite cat litter and laterite. The fourth chamber also contains a small section of jap mats at its rear end.

The flow rate is 10,000 lph or 2500gph, for a turnover rate of 2 hours. A centrifugal pump draws water daily from the third chamber, after mechanical filtration, and this constitutes a 3% daily water change rate after pond is replenished with mains water treated with sodium thiosulfate.

Since my filter design is flawed in that it doesn't allow for any chamber to drain to waste, I have opted to use siphoning to suck waste from all my chamber bottom or flooring. This has worked satisfactorily, since waste removal is effected without the need to flush whole chambers of water. Since my pond and filter is a mixed grade design (meaning having bottoms that are below ground level and water surface being above ground), siphoning is more easily accomplished (most ponds are below grade, making it difficult to siphon water).

Fines getting past into the anoxic filter chambers will eventually require some maintenance. Not doing enough maintenance will result in thick layers of debris on the filter bottoms, leading to bacterial problems such as ulcer at a late stage or some reddening of veins in koi at an early stage. It can also lead to reverse nitrification, and can be detected by a rise in nitrite levels as one indicator.

Siphoning the biofilter bottom flooring is much more difficult than siphoning the mechanical filter chamber. The reason is that the bcb's obstruct some sections of the floor. Skipping on siphoning these sections is the result. It takes more work to move the bcb's around. When more effort is involved, it can easily be pushed into a later time, and repeatedly doing so spells danger to pond health. I will need to redesign how the bcb's are placed in the chamber, so that it will be convenient to clean.

The bcb's themselves get covered by debris as well, but that is a simple matter of siphoning off the debris covering the bcb. But along with the debris, cat litter gets siphoned as well, and since I don't want those thrown away, I siphon them into a tub or bucket, for later retrieval. Cleaning the bcb in situ is a must, as lifting the bcb out from being submerged will change the anoxic condition in the basket, or temporarily upset or change the bcb's biofiltering operation. If ever there is a need to remove a bcb for cleaning, it must not be done wholesale,, all the bcb's together. Taking all the bcb's out together will risk upsetting their entire biofiltering capability. How long before it gets restored I don't know nor would I want to find out the hard way.

Fry
    If your water quality is good, then your filtration sounds fine. Can you let us know what your latest ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, Kh and ORP are in the pond? What is your fish load? The maintenance is really a function of your water quality and water temperatures.

I have a similar system, but now have over 20 baskets. The fines are filtered by a Zakki Sieve. Mechanical filtration is via an Ultima II 10,000. I only have 15 Kg of fish. I keep the fish load low because of cold winters. Also, if the power goes out there is enough biofiltration in the 15 yr old pond to keep them happy for weeks at a time.

I think what is most important is that your significant other is happy. Happy koi and happy wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgeyer View Post
    If your water quality is good, then your filtration sounds fine. Can you let us know what your latest ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, Kh and ORP are in the pond? What is your fish load? The maintenance is really a function of your water quality and water temperatures.

I have a similar system, but now have over 20 baskets. The fines are filtered by a Zakki Sieve. Mechanical filtration is via an Ultima II 10,000. I only have 15 Kg of fish. I keep the fish load low because of cold winters. Also, if the power goes out there is enough biofiltration in the 15 yr old pond to keep them happy for weeks at a time.

I think what is most important is that your significant other is happy. Happy koi and happy wife.
    My 7 koi altogether weigh 33 kg. Ammonia and nitrite 0. Nitrate at 10ppm. dkH at 1 or 14ppm. pH at 7. Total TDS at 130. Relative TDS at 55. I haven't taken ORP readings lately as I find it irrelevant in my pond. I use em1 effective microorganisms and it skews ORP readings to the low side and does not reflect the overall state of my pond's health.

Visual indicators I use are the water bubbles from aeration, water turbidity, presence of red veins on shiroji, water feel "itchy or not" to indicate pathogenic bacterial levels, koi appetite and activity levels.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516