Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By RayJordan

Thread: Koi Pond Bonuses

Koi Pond Bonuses

We live in S. Texas and while we really enjoy the mild winters we do not look forward to the hot summers. We enjoy our koi pond even in the summer by using a fan and a misting system that I installed on the pergola over the pond. We have found that we can grow orchids, bromeliads, and even plumeria over and next to the pond due to the higher humidity and cooling effects of the pond. This week we are near record high air temperatures well over 100 F however the pond is much cooler at about 80F. This cooler and more humid micro climate created by the pond is a great extra benefit of having a koi pond.Koi Pond Bonuses-dscn0731.jpgKoi Pond Bonuses-dscn0737.jpgKoi Pond Bonuses-dscn0732.jpgKoi Pond Bonuses-dscn0733.jpgKoi Pond Bonuses-dscn0734.jpgKoi Pond Bonuses-dscn0736.jpg
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

MCA
    Ray,

Is the mister on a regular timer or does it operate in response to ambient temps at the pergola? Those plants are very nice indeed!

BTW, this unusual summer in Atlanta has been about like a winter in Plano. We are having double the typical rain. It has only hit 92 a couple of times.

Hi Michael,

I have the miser on a timer to run about 3 hours in the hottest part of the day during the hottest part of the summer. It uses a minimal amount of water something like 3-4 gallons per hour. Enjoy your rain and cooler temps.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Ray,

Is the mister on a regular timer or does it operate in response to ambient temps at the pergola? Those plants are very nice indeed!

BTW, this unusual summer in Atlanta has been about like a winter in Plano. We are having double the typical rain. It has only hit 92 a couple of times.

What happens in the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    What happens in the winter?
    We enjoy winters a lot more than summers!! No need to water your grass, cut the lawn, do yard work and the maintenance on the pond drops to 2-3 times a month. We fast our koi for 6 weeks beginning about Jan 1.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    We enjoy winters a lot more than summers!! No need to water your grass, cut the lawn, do yard work and the maintenance on the pond drops to 2-3 times a month. We fast our koi for 6 weeks beginning about Jan 1.

What about the orchids, bromeliads, and plumeria, any problems?

The reason I ask is I have (or had) orchids, bromeliads, and plumeria, but not as nice as yours!

Beautiful, Ray. I like those Tillandsias.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    What about the orchids, bromeliads, and plumeria, any problems?

The reason I ask is I have (or had) orchids, bromeliads, and plumeria, but not as nice as yours!
    Sorry I thought you were asking about the pond. We have a atrium with a small goldfish pond that is enclosed but has a open roof. I cover the roof with clear plastic and make the area into a greenhouse for the winter. Many years the tropical plants would be fine next to the koi pond but it is easier to just move them at our leisure usually in December to the "greenhouse" where they stay until about March!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Beautiful, Ray. I like those Tillandsias.
    Thanks Mike, The tillandisias you gave us are doing well just not blooming right now.

Meg
    beautiful plumeria Ray, I have not seen that color before. I love their aroma!