Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine Gill Burn;What more can I do to help my 18 yr old KOI.. PLS HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
    ChlorAM-X was not available at 3 different pond stores I am ordering in now on-line. At the recommendation of one store, I purchased AmQuel Plus which removes Chlorine, Chloramines, Ammonia, reduces Nitrates and Nitrites. However, it also says is may lower the Oxygen levels. The pond is very well aerated, waterfall and 2 auxillory pumps moving 700 gallons an hour. My question is it's been 18 hours since the toxins went into the water, should I still dose the AmQuel Plus or just let the gases dissipate and stop adding all of these chemicals?
    Use the Amquel Plus to be certain all chlorine is gone. And, it will help control ammonia.

While chlorine will gas off eventually, the rate depends on water alkalinity/hardness and other factors. Better to use the Amquel Plus and be sure.

Tosai
    Done! Many thanks Ricshaw.

Tosai
    Just treated with the Amquel Plus. Many thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
    Thank you Ricshaw. I just printed out the Water Quality Results and yes my tap water contains Chloramines. 1.79 ppm. Therefore, inasmuch as all I was able to find today was the AmQuel which reduces the Chloramine, and I DO NOT have ChlorAm X yet, you are recommending that I use the AmQuel to reduce the Chloramine right now. I tested the Nitrate and Ammonia levels and the are within the safe range right now.
    Hi Shirl, Welcome to KoiBito! Sorry to hear about your fish. This type of accident is very common. Please do not beat yourself up. It happened to best of us. Half of my koi met the same fate under my watch. The survivors did recover fully with without any noticeable effects. Hope your fish will do the same. There is a recent discussion on this board related to this topic. It has lots of good ideas on how to safeguard your pond agaist this type of tragedy. Please read it when you get a chance. You should be testing for nitrIte and ammonia. They are much more toxic to fish than nitrAte. Good luck!

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Hi Shirl, Welcome to KoiBito! Sorry to hear about your fish. This type of accident is very common. Please do not beat yourself up. It happened to best of us. Half of my koi met the same fate under my watch. The survivors did recover fully with without any noticeable effects. Hope your fish will do the same. There is a recent discussion on this board related to this topic. It has lots of good ideas on how to safeguard your pond agaist this type of tragedy. Please read it when you get a chance. You should be testing for nitrIte and ammonia. They are much more toxic to fish than nitrAte. Good luck!
    Thank you Sunny for your compassion and advice. Yes I have been studying the related posts and builidng a "to do" list. I am a KOI novice of 18 years and thought that had taken precautions, boy was I mistaken. I fully intend to create a "safer" environment that will hopefully stave off both human and mechanical failures which may result in the loss of these precious creatures.

I believe now with the help of so many from this KOI-Bito network, that at this point I have done all that I can do to ease the pain and suffering that she is enduring at this time. However much I want to just be with her to be a calming force for her, she needs rest and calm; so I am limiting my presence near the pond only to check on her through the day. She continues to be a strong girl and swim slowly along the shape of the pond occassionally stopping at where the water is being aerated across the surface.

It's so true, the largest sufferred the most and have died; along with a 2 month old baby, who is the one that I have shed the most tears for over the past 2 days. The mom is the lone survivor and so I wanted to ensure that I was doing all that is possible to save her life after what she has been through with losing her mate and her off spring.

Thank you again to you and everyone who has posted on this thread with such good advice and compassion.

2 other products that work well are Prime and Ultimate, usually available at any aquarium store or big box pet store. Good things to have on hand just in case.

Hi Shirl, once again sorry to hear about your losses, You have not said what part of the world you are from ?
    There my be a Koi club near to you ! They will have all in info you need to build in some safety devices.
    They will also be of great help WHEN you are able to restock.

Take your time with this as adding new fish may stress your fish. Then either replace like for like or go for totally different.
    Restocking will come after the changes,and only when you are mentally heald .
    Goo luck
    Brian

Brian, it is only 1200g. Might want to consider a very low stocking level.

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisatpeace View Post
    Brian, it is only 1200g. Might want to consider a very low stocking level.
    Know were you are coming from, but until Shirls mistake, there were more fish doing fine !
    Replacing some might ease the pain and fill the void (so to speak )

OK, I'm with you on that. Shirl, please read up on proper quarantine procedure before you consider restocking.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast