Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chlorine Gill Burn;What more can I do to help my 18 yr old KOI.. PLS HELP

Tosai

Chlorine Gill Burn;What more can I do to help my 18 yr old KOI.. PLS HELP

My carelessness has caused my 11 year old KOI to die literally in my hands as I was trying float her back and forth to pass water over her poor burned gills after I left the hose in my 1200 gallon pond for 4 hours.. a horrible, horrible mistake that has left me shaking with sorrow and grief. The 18 year old male and females spawned this Spring and from that a beautiful baby was born, who I was admiring this morning and that baby is now dead. The survivors the parents of the baby are still alive. The male is resting and will occasionally swim slowly around for a lap. The larger female continues to swim very slowly. Both have increased rapid open mouth breathing. As to what I have done thus far, I have added 16 oz of water conditioner that has a slim coat additive, i have added pond salt to support 600 gallons today and will add same dose tomorrow afternoon and i have added more aeration to the surface and the bottom in addition to the waterfall and secondary pump that passes thru the UV Sterilizer. i have been reading websites for advice and called the supplier of the water conditioner to come up with all that I've stated above. what more if anything can i do to ease the pain and suffering that my poor KOI are going through right now? Any advice from my fellow KOI lovers is deeply appreciated.

Sorry to Hear, I would add as much air to the water as possible. Don't feed and cause as little stress on the Koi at this point as possible. Good Luck

Tosai
    Thank you for your advice. When do you recommend that feeding should be reintroduced. Also, should more water conditioner be added? I heard that the water condition that adds slime coat could potentially cause the gill function to be further stressed. I am contemplating adding the product by REED called Chor-Am i believe. Again, many thanks for the help. They mean so much to me and i have so deeply sorry for what i have caused today to their lives.

Chlor Am X will cause no distress, and will also have the added benefit of taking care of any ambient ammonia that has been produced throughout all the stress. It is very hard to overdose. Consider a cheap hose timer to avoid any future issues of this nature.

Many of us have made this mistake at one time or another. As Troy mentioned, as much air as possible, good biological filtration, plenty of Chlor Am X, and time should help these fish. They will be more susceptible to chlorine poisonuing in the future, so I'd invest in the hose timer, and consider dechlorinating water before it is added in the future.
    Will Schultze
    (931) 338-6174

Tosai
    Thank you ever so much and I will heed your advice. The female has improved and male is poised at aeration. How long should i wait to I feed them?

I would hold off food only until they resume normal activities. If they are having trouble extracting O2 from water through burned gills, you don't want to introduce food, as it can be a bit of an irritant, and they need to use the oxygen they can get right now for recovery, not digestion. As soon as they are moving about with ease, I would try very small feedings, just to offer them calories to rebuild without letting them get too much. When I reintroduced food, I would use premoistened pellets, to ease consumption and digestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
    I have added 16 oz of water conditioner that has a slim coat additive.
    I guess everybody is assuming that the unnamed water conditioner removed the chlorine.

Richard, Chlor Am was named, I'm hoping it is Chlor Am X, as this will take care of several possible problems. I advise overdosing Chlor Am X, it will neutralize oxidants in the water to prevent further damage.

Shirl, like Ric, I'm assuming that when you said "I have added 16 oz of water conditioner that has a slim coat additive", that it was a chlorine neutralizer. If so, then at this point you just have to wait. Koi that survive 24 hours after the neutralizer was added are likely to recover. The gills re-grow, but may have permanent damage in the form of stunted membranes. The next risk is damage to the filtration bio-community can put your pond through a 6-8 week period of becoming re-established. 'New pond syndrome' can be really tough on the recovering koi. That is why adding an ammonia binder is good to consider. Keeping salt at 0.1% will help protect the koi from nitrite as things get re-established.

Good luck!

Sirl, don't beat your self up any more.
    It has happened move on, add some shade, dark helps to reduce stress and anything that makes life easier for the Koi.
    Just check that it is Chlorine gas, water falls or fountains will help.
    Lower the ph if possible, this will stop the NEW sections of gills being hard.

Loosing koi is NEVER nice, for all of us.add a safety system.( something for the future )
    Chin up, move on !

Brian

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast