Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: show questions... first time taking fish to show,, not just buying and entering

Quote Originally Posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
    Love 1,8 and 9
    Good skins on all, scales well defined .
    I would take 9 any day of the week, must look extra special ( in the flesh ) silver edge to skales .
    How is it classed ?Hikarimuji or Yamabuki Ogon ?
    Very nice body shape.

I also like 6 the true painted effect of the scales on this fish are great !
    Seems like you have done your bits ! The rest is down to GENES !
    Yamabuki ogon

Hi loco, good luck at the show. Thanks for bringing this subject up - I need to do some prepping as well. And guys, thanks for sharing. Learning the hard is another option naah!

MCA
    I found Henry's old posted Elbagin protocol. I had said I use a pinch of Elbagin. Then Henry made the following response.

Elbagin for Transport

Henry Culpepper 4 March 2008
    I'm Getting Nervous. - Koi Chat - KoiShack

7 hours should be no problem. I assume you stopped feeding already, if not STOP!

I do not use the "pinch" of Elbagin measurement. I mix up 0.5 gram of Elbagin in 16oz of water then add 2oz of that solution to the smaller bags and 3oz for the big girls. In my experience, Elbagin does make a big difference on how calm they are during transport.

Also, once you have them bagged, put them in a box and close it up so that it is completely dark inside. That will help calm them down as well.

For the Atlanta show, my 83cm Showa and 75cm Kohaku were bagged up for close to 8 hours and they showed no sign of stress.

When you get to the show site, we will be there to help you unload if needed.

See you at the show, Henry
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

I wouldn't want to be the first to try it, but I wonder if low dose oil of clove and salt would serve the same purpose for a lot less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    I wouldn't want to be the first to try it, but I wonder if low dose oil of clove and salt would serve the same purpose for a lot less money.
    I've seen folks kill a koi with an overdose of clove oil, and come to believe it's easy to do if you're not v-e-r-y careful with the stuff. If you are concerned about the price of Elbagin, a bag, which should run you about $45 or so with shipping, can be purchased from Eastern/Pacific Waterscapes (Elbagin - Elbagin). Using Henry's formula posted above (thanks, MCA!), a 200 g bag will make about 400 x 16 oz. doses. If you can go thru that much Elbagin in a hurry, then you've REALLY been bit by the show bug, Loco4Koi!

Now, lots of folks don't add anything but oxygen to their bag of water, and they do just fine. But judging from your fish photos, I think they're worth the investment.

Good luck at your show, and I'm going to go on record right now and bet that you will pick up at least a couple of awards with your fish.....

Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    Yamabuki ogon
    VERY VERY NICE FISH,
    As for Clove oil ! what is the strength ? Don't know? neither do I ! How do you know how much to use ?

Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    I've seen folks kill a koi with an overdose of clove oil, and come to believe it's easy to do if you're not v-e-r-y careful with the stuff. If you are concerned about the price of Elbagin, a bag, which should run you about $45 or so with shipping, can be purchased from Eastern/Pacific Waterscapes (Elbagin - Elbagin). Using Henry's formula posted above (thanks, MCA!), a 200 g bag will make about 400 x 16 oz. doses. If you can go thru that much Elbagin in a hurry, then you've REALLY been bit by the show bug, Loco4Koi!

Now, lots of folks don't add anything but oxygen to their bag of water, and they do just fine. But judging from your fish photos, I think they're worth the investment.

Good luck at your show, and I'm going to go on record right now and bet that you will pick up at least a couple of awards with your fish.....
    I like the fish too, but betting on a koi without seeing the opposition ! Sure you don't come from Vagas !

Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post

I appreciate the vote of confidence... but I'm not counting on winning anything,, I just want the experience of actually bringing fish that I raised and competing...the San Antonio show last year at Water Garden Gems was my first show. I bought the kujaku, the Asagi and a large goldfish. I got lucky and won best metallic, best fish by a newcomer and I won best fantail goldfish.. it was fun to win..but it doesn't mean as much as winning with fish that were raised in your pond... all but the kujaku and asagi were 6"-10" when I bought them for $50, or so, last year. To win with one of these fish would definitely make me proud, having raised them.

Oyagoi
    guess i am also with troy
    moving that many koi into 300 gallons could be adding stress to them something you do not want right before a show
    also guessing could be the 300 gallon rubbermaid and its not a prefect circle and have parts sticking out

I am a believer in keeping them in pod and what they are use to in order to keep stress down as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    guess i am also with troy
    moving that many koi into 300 gallons could be adding stress to them something you do not want right before a show
    also guessing could be the 300 gallon rubbermaid and its not a prefect circle and have parts sticking out

I am a believer in keeping them in pod and what they are use to in order to keep stress down as much as possible
    The problem with keeping them in the pond is them eating algae, snails etc. The only way I'd be able to legitimately fast them would be my Q-tank

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast