Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: show questions... first time taking fish to show,, not just buying and entering

Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    That's a good idea.. I bet I can fabricate one out of pvc and nylon netting...
    probably not in time for this show... I am having surgery on tuesday and will be fairly worthless for a couple weeks. Ill put that on my "to do" list though.
    thanks for the idea.
    Joe
    Mine is prefab and made out of the same soft netting as a seine.

I got it here: Knotless Holding Box

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Mine is prefab and made out of the same soft netting as a seine.

I got it here: Knotless Holding Box
    That's awesome! What size did you get!

That's awesome! What size did you get!

Too DEEP!! I think 4' x 6' x 4' deep. It is put away in a box in the garage.

I might add, with no cover, fish sometimes jump out.

I do not have any direct experience using these floating holding baskets. I would worry that the koi would rub their noses, fins and tails or even jump out of the basket trying to get back to their school mates in the pond. Commercial food fish farms use these baskets to hold fish to be ready to sell. However, with koi and especially show koi we care about any scratches or dings. I would not use one of these baskets myself but not criticizing those that do. Keep it simple is my mantra keeping and showing koi.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    I do not have any direct experience using these floating holding baskets. I would worry that the koi would rub their noses, fins and tails or even jump out of the basket trying to get back to their school mates in the pond. Commercial food fish farms use these baskets to hold fish to be easy to sell. However, with koi and especially show koi were care about any scratches or dings. I would not use one of these baskets myself. Keep it simple is a mantra with keeping and showing koi.

Holding baskets sure can help when you are over 60, its 5AM and dark, and you have to catch and bag your fish by yourself.

I ordered an oxygen tank off of ebay
    20 CF Welding Cylinder Tank Bottle Oxygen Brand New | eBay
    Now I just need bags.. where can I buy a box with about 50 bags in it.. all the online places seem to have boxes of 500+ for $100 or so. ? I don't need that many right now...lol

FYI: My wife rented a vendor booth and will be selling handmade candles and bathcrafts. She just started a new business called "A Water Flower" and this will be her first time setting up a booth at a show or festival. Look for her and help support her new company. She's worked really hard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show questions... first time taking fish to show,, not just buying and entering-img20130804_234348.jpg  

Ordered some bags from koi acres... 48"x20"... my largest fish is 22"... they should be big enough. Seemed a bit pricey at @$70 for 25 including shipping, but cutting corners on fish safety isn't an option.

Sansai
    Wow , great koi. Especially like the Kujaku and Asagi ( and to think i am mostly a gosanke fan ) . We have the two in our pond . Nowhere as near .Wonderful even reticulation , with the Kujaku having a pattern that is hard to come by .

I ordered an oxygen tank off of ebay
    20 CF Welding Cylinder Tank Bottle Oxygen Brand New | eBay
    Now I just need bags.. where can I buy a box with about 50 bags in it.. all the online places seem to have boxes of 500+ for $100 or so. ? I don't need that many right now...lol

FYI: My wife rented a vendor booth and will be selling handmade candles and bathcrafts. She just started a new business called "A Water Flower" and this will be her first time setting up a booth at a show or festival. Look for her and help support her new company. She's worked really hard.
    Just saw this post. Our club, Texas Koi & Fancy Goldfish Society - ZNA, buys fish bags for our shows, auctions, etc. We have several sizes from 12X30 to 24X60 cost to our members varies from 2 bags for $1 to 1 bag for $2. Can be bought at shows, sales, and through prior arrangement at meetings. Another benefit of joining a koi club.

Nisai
    I do have some experience with a "koi cage" in a pond. My pond is a re-purposed in-ground concrete and gunnite swimming pool, 32 feet long by 18 feet wide by 10 feet (originally) deep. When I first began to entertain the idea of showing my koi, I tried to rethink the “no feeding for a week before the show” procedure, without subjecting what I thought were the best fish in the pond to a much, much smaller hunk of water in a quarantine tank. I constructed a floating cage made out of very soft mosquito netting – ten feet long by 5 feet wide by 4 feet deep, with a full removable floating cover. With volunteer help, we caught and put the selected show attendees in the cage for seven days, prior to the morning of the show. Ray is right! By the second or third day, all of the fish inside the cage had “sandpapered” their noses by constant rubbing back and forth against the netting. Several of them were so injured that I could not take them to that show. All of the fish recovered, eventually, but I never tried using the net cage for my koi, again. Maybe using such a net cage for just overnight before the show would work, without much damage.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345