Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ORP Baseline

MCA
    Clearly define harsh environment. Is the source non potable! Is the air temp over 105f like is was when we kept koi in Dallas Texas? Such high temp areas are perfect locations for showers. Also have a deep pond to max ground contact and minimize rapid temp changes. Put a pergola or other cover over the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Clearly define harsh environment. Is the source non potable! Is the air temp over 105f like is was when we kept koi in Dallas Texas? Such high temp areas are perfect locations for showers. Also have a deep pond to max ground contact and minimize rapid temp changes. Put a pergola or other cover over the pond.
    A harsh envrionment - high temperatures, low DO even at saturation, low rH. Doesn't have to be non-potable source. 105 f is definitely harsh.

Deep pond - Mine is five feet. That counts as "check?"

Pergola or shade - Have to add one for summer noons. Though my pond was shielded enough by being bounded by the perimeter wall surrounded by vines and palm trees, and three sides of a cove jutting into the house. But the sun gets to it by just being overhead on long stretches of summer days.

Mists/showers - how is this done? If you have shade already, will it still be useful?

I am scrounging for more ideas:

- a current post mentions filter magnets: better koi cellular hydration leading to better cellular oxygenation (controversial)

- enzymes to aid digestion (saving koi energy for growth and coloration, instead of having to produce digestive enzymes)

- providing more fats in the form of medium chain triglycerides (mct's)- (instant energy for koi - mct's as in coconut oil provide that instant energy in humans, as the mct's go straight to the liver and the liver converts it quickly to energy - just don't know if this mechanism exists in kois; while not proven, it also hasn't been disproved)

-

Shading of the pond from direct sun is very beneficial, especially in warm climates. Moderating water temperatures means more DO. I'd suggest that this be your first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Shading of the pond from direct sun is very beneficial, especially in warm climates. Moderating water temperatures means more DO. I'd suggest that this be your first priority.
    You're right. I found this at amazon:

Amazon.com: New Sand Color 16' Oversized Sun Shade Sail Shade Canopy Sun Shelter Heavy Duty: Home & Kitchen

Has anyone used something like this? Reviews I've read at amazon give five stars but don't have information on whether it will last long.

I lost sight of my original question- regarding finding a good basis for comparing my pond's ORP values to. I mentioned the use of dechlorinated mains water and giving it a good amount of aeration, getting its ORP afterwards, and comparing my pond's ORP to it. If say the mains water's ORP is 190, and my pond's ORP is 180, is it reasnable to think that I should not be concerned even if the pond ORP is below 200?

Mains water is clean, even close enough to potable (for people with a healthy gut). And ORP readings are taken at same temperature.

That is what I meant with baseline.

MCA
    We are lucky in the States. Most folks only need to declor their source water down from something like 650mV (due to chlorine or chloramin) down to 300mV to avoid burning the fish. In some locations the public water may come for aquifers that add in lots of minerals to create hard water. When we lived in the Dallas Texas area almost everyone had a water softener to remove the huge amount of lime in the water.

I'm now answering my own question, and the answer is "no." Went to Kois and Pond and tested their water and it reads 233 for ORP at pretty much same ph and temperature as my pond. My pond read 175 and dechlorinated aerated mains water read 191.

So I need to review my water husbandry procedures. I may have to change my pond turnover from 2 hours to 1 hour. And I would have to change frequency of cleaning my brush filter chamber from once a month to once a week. And cleaning my biofilter chamber every 3 months instead of every year.

Without the ORP meter, I would have been content with tds, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, kH, gH all making the grade and not know my water is not clean enough. Now I know better.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    I'm now answering my own question, and the answer is "no." Went to Kois and Pond and tested their water and it reads 233 for ORP at pretty much same ph and temperature as my pond. My pond read 175 and dechlorinated aerated mains water read 191. So I need to review my water husbandry procedures. I may have to change my pond turnover from 2 hours to 1 hour. And I would have to change frequency of cleaning my brush filter chamber from once a month to once a week. And cleaning my biofilter chamber every 3 months instead of every year.Without the ORP meter, I would have been content with tds, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, kH, gH all making the grade and not know my water is not clean enough. Now I know better.
    What particular pond in KNP did you test? They have like several ponds over there.

It's the pond to the left of the entrance as you walk in, which currently holds tosai kohakus from Kentaro Sakai. No salt added.

Hi Glad to see you and Sacicu have places in common !
    Hope you asked if you could test the water at the dealers. I would not be happy with any dealership that allowed people to put things in their water !
    As others have said ORP is way down on the list of what you need to spend time and money on.
    Reflective sails or thick cotton or wool ones that can have water sprayed on them will help cool the area, how much they effect the pond I don't know !
    ANY shade directly over the pond will help. A deeper pond would help or think about adding a deep sealed sump on the clean side of your filters.
    Any form of evaporation has a cooling effect on the underside of the cloth or porous material ( all to do with latent heat.energy required for water in this case to change forms from liquid to gas )
    So spend time on the important things !
    Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast