Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese Filter Magnets?

I'm not altogether against the idea of magnets to improve health of living things human or koi or cats, dogs, and horses. Science doesn't provide all the answers. If I ate a piece or alien pie and I immediately turned blue, I don't need someone to do a double-blind study to tell me my experience and conclusion is valid. That said, we do have to take everything with a grain of salt, as different forms of snake oil are marketed. Some snake oils are even so entrenched they made an entire generation of humans obese. And these are even based on accepted conventional medical wisdom based on science. Less sophisticated snake oil scheme exist, but I'm not ready to throw magnets in the pile.

The use of magnets, if the technology used in the filter magnets is the same as the one I understand, isn't so much to improve oxygenation as much as to restructure water. Water restructured to a better form increases hydration to the cells. This means that more water gets to pass thru the cell membranes, and as more water is let in the cells, the cells benefit from receiving the oxygen dissolved in the water. So, yes, oxygenation/hydration of the fish is increased. But it isn't the water oxygenation that is increased, but the oxygenation/hydration of the koi.

I am familiar with this concept because I was thinking of buying a device that will make alkaline water. As I went thru researching it, I became skeptical of its claims and considered it to be snake oil. Alkaline water was developed and marketed to capitalize on the emerging awareness of health-conscious people that an alkaline blood is healthy while acidic blood isn't. It is a silver bullet solution for people who think they can just take one pill (in this case, the "pill" is water) and become healthy. But being healthy involves a lot more than that, as I'm sure all would agree.

I came across then articles concerning restructuring water, and found that while I was skeptical of its claims, it offered something reasonable in its science, as I explained above. You can Google "restructured water" and read up on it. I'm not here to debate the science or its validity. I'm drinking restructured water and I don't feel any different, if you ask me to prove its health benefits.

So uhmyrightok, what is the filter magnet and can you show me a link to it?

p.s. I'm using a Nikken Optimizer, in case you are wondering.

Here is a review from a true believer. Bob Goemans' Reviews I think Bob's reputation took a hit after he wrote the review. I saw pictures posted of the internal parts of Eco-aqualizer. Basically a PVC tube with round magnets taped together with black electrical tape. Skeptics were and are plentiful. Search inside picture of eco-aqualizer..........I think some of the pictures are still out there.

Yes, Dick. Nothing like a little science and a lot of the pitchman's zeal to get folks to part with their money. When the Bacteria House ceramic media came out, the same sorts of chatter went around about it re-making the water because the media emitted FIR rays.

A strong magnetic field may 'increase the reactivity' of water by 'loosening' the hydrogen bonds, but as soon as the water gets past the magnetic field, guess what? The natural bond is restored. But, doesn't everyone want a cheap silver bullet solution? ...Then there was the one about putting a copper penny in the filter and your aquarium fish would never get sick, because copper salts would be continually released killing all the 'bad guys'. That only cost one cent! But, there was no money to be made selling pennies, so ....

Here's that photo I promised;
    Japanese Filter Magnets?-japmagnets_72dpi_30-sml.jpg

Sorry it's late. I also found this old thread regarding Japanese Filter Magnets.

As you can see, the product I came across is slightly different from the product linked by another poster earlier in this thread. These are designed to be placed inside the actual filter unit (in large quantities). In this particular installation, they are inside the first chamber of a multi-chamber gravity filter. The water flows gently through the filter. I can't say for sure whether or not they are performing the advertised function-perhaps if they were removed, although it would be difficult to scientifically observe the effects of removing/installing the magnets. It's also not my filter and I'm sure (she) would not want me to go around messing with her filter system for an experiment.

Maybe I'll try them out when I upgrade my filter system this fall.

Yes, it's way different from what Dizzyfish linked to (thanks by the way). These look mean like they're eggs of alien predators.

Is there a product page/write-up? What are its claimed benefits?

yerrag, I did some searching and I found the OEM's site as well a site that details different filter materials/media (Japanese) in Japan (they are similar and/or identical to what's available here).

I first found the site detailing the different filter media-it's interesting that the magnets are listed among them.

Unfortunately, the original manufacturer's site is in Japanese as well but you could use Google Translate to view the site in English, although I'm sure the automatic translation is rudimentary at best.

I hope that helps!

uhmyearightok, thanks for the links. can pick up bits and pieces off google translate. it says don't use near iron/product, guess that was what dick benbow on the old thread you linked to - "one does not want them anywhere around their pump or other electrical equipment"

when you get to try it, please update. hopefully sooner than later!

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    uhmyearightok, thanks for the links. can pick up bits and pieces off google translate. it says don't use near iron/product, guess that was what dick benbow on the old thread you linked to - "one does not want them anywhere around their pump or other electrical equipment"

when you get to try it, please update. hopefully sooner than later!

yerrag,

I definitely will. My current setup is a 2" bottom drain > approx. 10,000gph Sequence pump (w/leaf basket) > original GCTek AquaBead bead filter > waterfall/stream (which returns to pond).

I will be adding a BioClean; Kodama modular filter unit (it comes with the filter magnets and custom Japanese filter mats mfg in Japan for Kodama). I believe the new filter system is multi-segment as well and is a gravity filter (rather than pressure like my current setup). Although I haven't decided yet I may decide to install a brush-based filter system as well (or instead). Either way I will be taking advantage of the gravity-fed nature of the bottom drain and using a pump to return as my current setup basically mashes up the fish waste and other particulates.

I just hope I can figure out a way to do it without replacing my currently-installed 2" bottom drain as that was only just installed last year when I re-did my pond (made it deeper and taller, about 7' depth altogether now).

I'm also planning on adding a vortex/settlement chamber pre-filter regardless of the filter system/combination I go with. I'll also be keeping the AquaBead as well, but I haven't decided whether or not to install another pump and put it on a different circuit or add it at the end/middle of the other filters.

Do you guys have any suggestions/thoughts regarding this?

I don't know much about pond design but it seems that a 2" bottom drain might have trouble coping with a 10,000 gph flow rate on a gravity-based system. I have a 4" bottom drain and two 3" surface skimmers on a gravity system flowing into the filter area. At 5000 gph it is just balanced, meaning that there is just enough water flowing into the filter to prevent the pump from running out of water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12