Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Filter Magnets?

Japanese Filter Magnets?

Have any of you heard of or use Japanese Filter Magnets? I have this product (they are circular magnets - almost look like bio-ball filter media, but they are not) they have ridges and a hole through the center. I'll take pictures tomorrow. They are supposed to be placed in the first chamber of your filter to allow all of your pond water to flow through them. As the water flows through the magnetic fields generated by the magnets, it aligns/realigns the molecules and greatly improves oxygenation rate (or capacity to hold dissolved oxygen). So as this magnetized water flows through the rest of your filter, it is beneficial to the bacteria that remove ammonia and nitrite as well as for you Koi.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this. Has anybody had any experience with these? Apparently, they are popular with Koi hobbyists in Japan.

MCA
    Magnetic snake oil.

For some reason I do not understand, the Japanese seem to get caught up in fads having to do with magnetism. There is some science behind the notion that magnetism affects water. It is used in certain industrial situations to reduce lime scale formation. There are different theories of just what occurs. A popular one is that calcium precipitates as granules that are not noticed rather than depositing on surfaces. It gets hawked as a way to soften water, but that has not stood up in studies. Perhaps in some situations it increases the rate of precipitation and thereby softens water to some degree. I am not aware of any reason to think it affects the oxygen level in water. Sort of reminds me of the bizarre touting of ceramic media as emitting infra-red rays that improve water quality. That faddish notion has died out. Guess it's time for new one to take its place.

Hi ALL , In the U.K. we had a fad of electric loops being placed around inlet pipes to soften water ! don't think it worked because you don't see them any more!
    In near by Derbyshire we have rivers that 'grow' Tufa rock , this is a lime stone made up from a precipitation of Carbonate minerals.
    It is sold and used in some fish tanks.
    It 'grows' best in places like waterfalls, some people make petrifying wells , were they place items in and in a short time they become covered in stone !

I am sceptical at best, AND WILL NOT BE SPENDING ANY OF MY HARND EARNED ON ONE !

I had a friend who believed that with filter magnets you could make our local tap water taste like bottled water.

I was very skeptical.

He brought me a gallon of his magnet treated tap water to taste.

It tasted just as bad as my tap water. I am a water snob and prefer the taste of bottled water over tap water.

I read, several years ago, of magnetic influence on water, in particular affecting single celled algae growth. To try it out a bit, I installed very powerful magnets at both the pond drain line and the pump outflow. Left them there for about a year. I noticed no alteration in algae growth or any other parameter over no magnetic influence. The continuing effect I witness is that with excessive biofiltration area and excessive flow, I have no algae. Nothing else but a UV makes such a difference.

In support of this, I recently built a 2000g QT. I use a rather unique DIY radial flow settler feeding two 55g S&G filters by gravity through 4" lines, then to a 4200 gph pump operating a shower filter with 1.5 cubic feet of Cermedia at negligible head pressure. So, I'm getting at least 1X every 30 minutes TOR. The system has not been shaded yet, and has risen to 88dF today, containg 10 koi 12-27". The system had algae from day 3 to day 7. Now, it is gin clear with no UV in full sun all day at mid 80s temp.
    Will Schultze
    (931) 338-6174

These have been around in the marine hobby for sometime. I'm surprised they are still in business.

ECO-Aqualizer Water Purification through Ionization - Aquatic Interiors Seacave

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    These have been around in the marine hobby for sometime. I'm surprised they are still in business.

Wow! Eliminates ammonia, prevents disease, reduces water changes, and so much more... without using any electricity! Goodness, these devices incorporate both infra-red and magnetism! Why doesn't everybody have these on all aquaria and ponds?

...Maybe because they don't work?

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post

I am sure it was something like this that convinced my friend to install magnets on his tap water for drinking.

For those that are interested, read the link ABOUT THE CHEMISTRY OF WATER ... H2O

LOL, pete and repete were sittin' on a fence, pete fell off and who was left....back in the day, magnets were all the rage for killing algea in the water column and also recently hatched paracites yet unattached. Then as mike explained, the scientific illussion that the water beadlets lined up a certain direction and helped do magical things including eliminate scale in the plumbing.<yahn> all credit to P.T barnum as truely each generation provides another fresh crop to exploit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast