Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: the turning of a sanke to a showa

Sansai

the turning of a sanke to a showa

It was in December 2008 we bought home 6 koi from a dealer who had imported koi from Singapore, from Nippon Nishikigoi Farms . Koi keeping back then was new to us , and was very very rudimentary . Their home was a 600 gallon pond with some basic filtration of about 50 gallons . In that lot , there was a Sanke , considered as a give away, and we didnt expect much from this koi, or for that matter any of the koi , since we had no inkling about what finishing and koi keeping was all about . A snap of this " Sanke " is enclosed , as taken in Dec. 2011.

In 2013, our 600 gallon pond was demolished and we expanded the pond to the present 13,000 gallons. Our koi were introduced back in their renovated home, and after about 4 months , our family was surprised to see changes happening in the sanke. The sanke was turrning into a kage showa in its 5th. year ( the now sanke turned showa picture is enclosed ).

This Kage Showa went on to become an oyagoi , a male parent , with the female parent being another showa , whom we had named as " VV" .VV was considered as a ugly duckling whom the dealer happily gave it away. A most imperfect showa, since her right flank , is completely devoid of any kind of sumi . Yet VV kept on maturing its beauty with time , and today we consider VV as the Tategoi of our pond. Her pictures are enclosed . Its with great grace, ease and confidence she comes to handfeed , and every time i hand feed her , I am left with this feeling , that we may well never find any koi like VV however hard we try.......

VV though has gifted us with one of her off-springs , which has a story behind it . It was in the March of this year , that we got to witness for the first time the spawning of our koi. The Kage showa revealed itself as the chaser, a male, and gave a torrid time to VV and one of our sandan kohaku . It was also during this time , that there was a very heavy fluke outbreak in our pond , timed with a battalion of frogs hijacking the pond . All together, it became too much to handle and on top of it , there were a dozen tosai that we found ourselves taking care of, in a hastily put up QT ( a koi dealer hand carried the tosais from Bangkok , without any prior notice to us ). All in all , in the middle of the mayhem of our troubles , we didnt give much thought to the spawning , and all our energies were devoted in fighting out the heavy infestation of flukes and the concomitant ulcers that come along with it . One day i found three tiny little fishes swimming in our pond. My instant thought was that our children had played a prank and put in a guppy and mollies in the koi pond . They vehemently denied the accusation, leaving me puzzled all the more. I managed to catch the "guppy" and put it along with other guppies that were there in a lily tub on our terrace . The "mollies" evaded capture. After a month , i was surprised to find changes in the "mollies", while the "guppy" in the nano mud pond lily tub was nowhere to be located . By then i equated the chasing around , and the new 3 additions , as the fruits of the labour of our koi ! I am sure there must have been a natural senbetsu , by the snakes , medication and the frogs . Unfortunately the 2 "mollies" also vanished away from the main pond . It was disappointing , and life went on......... One day , while showering the lily tub with a showering can , out peeped , the big " guppy " transformed ( picture enclosed) ............This time around , i won , and he/she was promptly cupped away into a 300 gallon holding tank , residing alone for about 3 months ( his or her picture just after the 3 months residence in the holding tank is also enclosed ) . Tora Bora , the little showa survivor from the mayhem of it all, is now back with her ( or his ) parents in the main pond , and growing fast with no snakes or frogs troubling her ( has out grown the vulnerable size ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the turning of a sanke to a showa-tora-bora-3-half-months-old.jpg   the turning of a sanke to a showa-sanke-turned-showa.jpg   the turning of a sanke to a showa-oyagoi-2013.jpg   the turning of a sanke to a showa-oyagoi-2.jpg   the turning of a sanke to a showa-tora-bora-1-month-old.jpg  

the turning of a sanke to a showa-tora-bora-2-half-months-old.jpg   the turning of a sanke to a showa-sanke-2011.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tora Bora View Post
    It was in December 2008 we bought home 6 koi from a dealer that had imported koi from Singapore from Nippon Nishikigoi Farms . Koi keeping back then was new to us , and was very very rudimentary . Their home was a 600 gallon pond with some basic filtration of about 50 gallons . In that lot , there was a Sanke , that was considered as a give away, and we didnt expect much from this koi, or for that matter any of the koi , since we had no inkling about what finishing and koi keeping was all about . A snap of this " Sanke " is enclosed , taken in Dec. 2011.
    Your Showa was misidentified as a Sanke when tosai.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Your Showa was misidentified as a Sanke when tosai.
    Very true . But this showa that you have pictured is the tosai that was born this year in April , and we have named him or her Tora Bora. Her parents are the Kage Showa ( misidentified sanke , being the male ) and the showa having a prominent kata zumi ( sumi on the gill plates ) , being the mother . I am sorry the photographs are jumbled in its sequence, all though i tried twice in attaching the photographs as in the happenings.

Very true . But this showa that you have pictured is the tosai that was born this year in April , and we have named him or her Tora Bora. Her parents are the Kage Showa ( misidentified sanke , being the male ) and the showa having a prominent kata zumi ( sumi on the gill plates ) , being the mother . I am sorry the photographs are jumbled in its sequence, all though i tried twice in attaching the photographs as in the happenings.
    When Koi are small , it can be very difficult to tell if it it BLACK WITH WHITE MARKINGS or WHITE WITH BLACK MARKINGS.
    Yes we know that the black should show on the pectoral fins of the black fish ( showa ) but some times this comes later.
    These things can and do happen.
    Nice fish now !

Hi Tora, just had an other look at the Showa /Sanke you may have to think about calling it some thing different if there is YELLOW on its head and shoulders.
    Or is this just the orange that is turning red ?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
    Hi Tora, just had an other look at the Showa /Sanke you may have to think about calling it some thing different if there is YELLOW on its head and shoulders.
    Or is this just the orange that is turning red ?
    Its the streaming sunlight that makes the weak beni of this koi , make it look yellow.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
    When Koi are small , it can be very difficult to tell if it it BLACK WITH WHITE MARKINGS or WHITE WITH BLACK MARKINGS.
    Yes we know that the black should show on the pectoral fins of the black fish ( showa ) but some times this comes later.
    These things can and do happen.
    Nice fish now !
    " Nice fish now ! " Yes thats true. Things can change rapidly.

What would make it interesting is to observe the development of this little showa and whether it will be like its parents , blooming as the years go by ( its mother is really nice , short stocky body of 70 cms though, for a 5-6 year old ).

" Nice fish now ! " Yes thats true. Things can change rapidly.

What would make it interesting is to observe the development of this little showa and whether it will be like its parents , blooming as the years go by ( its mother is really nice , short stocky body of 70 cms though, for a 5-6 year old ).
    Don't give up on the older Showa as food minerals etc can help to deepen colors, the young was has strong markings to start with solid blocks,so as it grows you can only hope that as these split you will end up with a pleasing snake type path down the length of its body .
    WELL WE CAN ALL DREAM !

Sansai
    WELL WE CAN ALL DREAM !

Yup ! Life is a dream by itself . The more we cling , the more it takes shape and solidity, according to the nature of our clinging