Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: what do y'all think of these two fish?

what do y'all think of these two fish?

The white one is an older pic... he's probably 6" longer now... his shiro is super bright in person
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what do y'all think of these two fish?-attachment.jpg   what do y'all think of these two fish?-attachment-1.jpg   what do y'all think of these two fish?-attachment-2.jpeg   what do y'all think of these two fish?-attachment-3.jpeg  

Hi Loco , The Ogon or Hikarimuji ( not so sure ) reminds me of one of my very first Koi, kept her in an in door tank for 2 years, had her from 1 in long !
    Then built my first Koi ponds ( for her and her mates ) She grew to over 2 feet !She loved swimming up the waterfall.
    Does yours have a black edge to the tail? or is it just the pic ?
    Yours has a good clean head,well defined 'yoak' formed by the skull and operculum, with a nice 'matt' finish.
    Will get better with age, the bigger they get the more imposing the look.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
    Hi Loco , The Ogon or Hikarimuji ( not so sure ) reminds me of one of my very first Koi, kept her in an in door tank for 2 years, had her from 1 in long !
    Then built my first Koi ponds ( for her and her mates ) She grew to over 2 feet !She loved swimming up the waterfall.
    Does yours have a black edge to the tail? or is it just the pic ?
    Yours has a good clean head,well defined 'yoak' formed by the skull and operculum, with a nice 'matt' finish.
    Will get better with age, the bigger they get the more imposing the look.

Brian
    It's just the pic,, she has a real clean, even coloring

Sansai
    Yamabukki is especially nice . Should be looking really pristine , once jumbo , with the yellow and scales doing all speaking for itself .

Ah ! i feel so downright sad Lost a 6 inch ginrin kigoi yesterday. I was looking so much forward to raise to a jumbo. She was exceptional .

The Doitsu is a pretty pond koi, but a poor example of Doitsu Hariwake, particularly due to the scattered scales of varying size and the inadequate patterning. However, I can readily imagine that this one gets attention in the pond.

The Yamabuki is still developing pigment. The current look of buttered popcorn is typical. Whether the pigment will fully develop cannot be determined. One has to wait and see. Unfortunately, there are spots where it seems there are either missing scales or misaligned scales, and areas on the head where the coloration is uneven. These are not good signs for a future in the show ring, but may not detract from enjoying the koi as it swims in the pond. In the 3 of 4 photo, it looks as if the rear third of the body is disproportionate to the front of the body, although the tail tube seems suitably thick. This may just be photo angles playing tricks, or it may indicate that the koi has an oversized abdomen or a temporary egg issue. Yamabuki can be prone to having 'hanging bellies', which detract from the overall body form (without regard to whether eggs are being carried). This possible disproportion is something that has to be evaluated in person. I often say that Yamabuki is the most beautiful of all koi. People who have not been taught koi appreciation always say so when they visit a pond. So, enjoy this koi and let your friends and family enjoy the living gold of Yamabuki. A bit of uneven coloration matters not at all outside the show ring, unless you let yourself obsess on a shortcoming rather than enjoying the fish as a whole. If you do that, you will never be happy with koi, as there is no perfect koi.

Hi MikeM you have just shown the difference between a Koi keeper and a Koi shower ! DETAIL !
    You are spot on re scales missing and the fact that they do tend to retain eggs.
    I like the Ogons and Chagoi because I THINK they are nearer to the wild koi ,than some of the others.
    Could be they are a bit like me , simple and forgiving !

Brian

I'm expecting that when you ask what folks think of one's fish, your expecting a viewpoint from a show perspective? Mike's done a pretty good job of answering that. And having helpful comments to learn from is a definete benefit for learning. But when I read such a question, I find myself asking, what do YOU think of your fish? Is there room in a pond to have something you just like, that does not match a standard? there must have been something that made you drawn to these koi. I have a hi asagi, that i personally enjoy seeing each feeding time. She didn't start as a show fish. she was born red at the start and should have been culled the first sembetsu. So no excuse to say I fell in love with her as a tategoi and for some reason as she aged she turned red. Others who come, comment on what a nice aka matsuba she is. Good intense reddish orange, blackish pine cone pattern, nice body.I named her grace, I like the fact that while she doesn't measure up to the world's standard, she carries herself with dignity and has found a little wiggle-room in my heart.
    So if the truth was known, what do you think of your fish that reside in your pond. is there room for something that brings you joy, tho not a poster child for that color variety standard?
    Tora Bora likes this.
    Dick Benbow

[QUOTE semi skilled keeper;208056]Hi MikeM you have just shown the difference between a Koi keeper and a Koi shower ! DETAIL !
    You are spot on re scales missing and the fact that they do tend to retain eggs.
    I like the Ogons and Chagoi because I THINK they are nearer to the wild koi ,than some of the others.
    Could be they are a bit like me , simple and forgiving !

Brian[/QUOTE]
    The missing scales came from her/him taking a flying leap out of the pond when trying to catch her.... I asked about these fish because I'm thinning my herd trying to determine what to keep. I have three solid yellow fish (wife's favorite color) and this is definitely the lesser of the three... I may give her another year... what about the shusui... the pattern has cleaned up a lot since the pic,, which was taken very early spring. The shiroji is a lot brighter and the beni is contained... I.e. not bleeding color to other scales.. this fish has a unique look in the pond,,, but is a pattern like this ever seen in a show?
    Fyi.... my ultimate goal is 10-12 "potential" show fish in my 6000 gallon pond... there are only two muts with sentimental value... the two my kid picked out early on... I have at least five to rehome

Fyi,, If you know someone in the austin area that would like a few koi, hit me up

I personally think you need to be a cold hearted _________ , not have the odd MUT kept just for the joy it brings.
    When I see other peoples' fish the first thing I think is do they look healthy,happy then I think have they got a good blend of fish.
    By that I mean different sizes, colors scale types.
    I MAY THEN think about show standards. As you may gather I'm NOT UP ON SHOW STANDARDS. I JUST KNOW WHAT I LIKE!
    I NEVER leave thinking 'there was some rubbish standard fish in that pond' I have thought those fish do not look either healthy or happy !
    Please your self first , then think about shows !
    Brian

Following up on Dick's comment....

Nobody can answer the question of whether a koi is worth its space in the pond except the pond owner. The worst koi in my pond is an aged Hariwake that hatched in a lily pond I had. That was 20 years ago. She was never a great koi. She ranked as a 'pretty pond fish' at her best, which was many years ago. She has been a not so pretty pond fish for many years. But, if I could only have one koi, it would be her. She survived my learning curve. My daughter loved her when she was a hatchling. I know her every move. And, I think, she knows mine. She reminds me of my failures and successes. And, she reminds me that in the post World War II period in Japan, she would have been considered a grand jumbo koi at 80cm. Koi have greatly improved over those years, but each is magnificent in their own right. Each deserves the best care the koikeeper can provide.
    Tora Bora likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast