Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By semi skilled keeper

Thread: Lessons Learnt

Sansai

Lessons Learnt

Hi ,

Please add to this thread , any pointers that makes this hobby all the more worth while . A few from our own experience , is as under .

• Repair plumbing in the evening or night , can prove to be costly .

This is more so when a pond has a submersible pump ( gravity fed is the safest and best option ) . Once when our two barrel filters clogged slightly , there was a spill over of water from one barrel . We increased the return back to the pond , by having another return outlet . After observing and ascertaining for an hour that there was no longer any spill over , we left home , and returned back late at night. Our then 2000 litre pond was near empty , with our 8 koi thrashing on the pond floor .Fortunately we didnt loose any koi , and they got along fine.

In such predicaments , its best to switch of the circulatory pump and let aeration be the life support . Pump plumbing is always better and safer to be done in the mornings , and then observe the working through the day. Going out soon after a repair or alteration can be risky.

• When softening pond water , aeration levels need to be adequately compensated . The more acidic the water , lesser the oxygen content . KH needs monitoring when going the soft way, to keep the PH in balance.

When embarking the soft route , and gradually bringing down our pond TDS from 800 ppm to 90 ppm , over a week , i noticed our koi being nearer to the returns and mouthing gently for more air . The areration that the pond hand when the water had high alkalinity , was no longer adeqaute when the water was slowly made acidic . By increasing the aeration , the koi were back to very good health and the soft water helped very much in the long term ( increased length of the koi with its pigmentation becoming nice and soft ).

• QT drains or outlets need necessarily to have a dome fixed over the hole with a quarter inch gap around the circumfrence of the plate . Slotted pipe with end cap , also works fine ( for side drain outlets )

We lost two of our small koi that got stuck in the bottom returns of the QT . Heart wrenching . Placing a mesh bag of heavy pebbles is not a good option, koi are inquisitive and hungry , they will nose the bag , and buoyancy will do the rest of shifting the meshed bag away from the hole.

• When cleaning skimmers , please anticiapte a welcome from snakes , they like to nestle in the skimmer basket .

I remove off the skimmer lid by a snap of the finger , and use a stick to prod the leaves in the basket . Any snakes coiled in , shoot out through the mouth of the skimmer .

• During spawning , its best to reduce the water level of the pond , so that koi don' t jump or hurt itself on any over hanging ledges that may be present around the pond. Also , please dont add any new introduction ( especially tosai ) to your pond , when koi are in this mood.

• If pond volume is relatively large vis a vis the medication available, its best to reduce down the volume of the pond and then dose . In this case however, there needs to be a pre-determined marker indicating the decreased level, and thus determining the volume that the pond would now hold . I use this method in Q tanks also , so that medication need not be wasted .

• Should a battalion of frogs take over your pond and croak their way through the nights in their amorous ventures. Please look around the pond floor , and skimmer baskets . In fighting is common in frogs , and dead frogs can give rise to bacterial infections , if left alone on the floor , or any other place.

Thanks . Any inputs is welcome , will help me learn and become a little bit wiser.

Hi Sanjay, we only have Two Snakes in the U.K. the Adder and the Grass snake. Grass snakes eat small fish and invertebrates.
    They will live in compost heaps so keep an eye out for them if you have small Koi.
    Teaching is the best way of relearning things you already know.
    You have to think about the way you should be doing thing and NOT the way you now do them.
    Sanjay you are teaching as well as learning, your insight into hot weather Koi keeping WILL help many people.
    Keep it coming !
    Brian

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
    Hi Sanjay, we only have Two Snakes in the U.K. the Adder and the Grass snake. Grass snakes eat small fish and invertebrates.
    They will live in compost heaps so keep an eye out for them if you have small Koi.
    Teaching is the best way of relearning things you already know.
    You have to think about the way you should be doing thing and NOT the way you now do them.
    Sanjay you are teaching as well as learning, your insight into hot weather Koi keeping WILL help many people.
    Keep it coming !
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

Hot weather can be best combated by having a large water body , with a minimum pond depth of 4 feet to 6 feet . The temperature becomes very stable , and no longer reaches the 86 F , that we used to often end up when we had a 2000 lts pond with a depth of 2 feet. I do believe that chillers can play a role in , but its running cost , due to the long extended summers can be discouraging.

Yes , another point of mentioning the learning lessons is to learn from others , who may point out that i am not actually doing the right thing , when all along i think , i have sorted the problem and now doing the right thing !

I did forget the mention of power back up . Once one of our koi jumped when there was an extended power outage , luckily , it was on a holiday , and we were anticipating stress in the koi . The ready solution in hand was to provide mechanical agitation by way of using showering cans , till the power returned . Hands were tired , but all in the family took turns.

Next day, we went and bought an invertrer and all was well for a couple of years, until a day came , when a cyclone hit our city very badly and the inverter completely drained itself in 10 hrs. time. It was a stressful situation , there were no generators availaible on hire owing to the heavy rains , and we didnt have any hydrogen peroxide in hand , nor any oxygen cylinder (resorting to bagging the koi, in oxygenated bags ) . When things were looking extremely bleak , and we had almost had to accept the reality that the 8 of our koi , which gave us so much happiness for the last 4 years , would soon die , our house maids husband came to the rescue ! Both of us managed to go in the drenching rain and motivate a shop keeper to open his shop and give us his kerosene fired portable genset. I timed my alarm at 3 am in the morning , when the genset was expected to run out of gas , so that i could refill .

Soon after this incident , we have bought a small 1 kw petrol fired genset , which backs up the inverter , should it discharge and become flat, in the event of extended power break downs . Good to have reserve, fire proof cans of gasoline , just in case the genset , needs extended running . Its also a healthy practice to start the generator for a minute every day . A rusty generator , may well not arise to the ocassion when needed ( it happened to us ! )

Thanks,
    Sanjay

yes SANJAY, PLAN FOR THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST ! IF IT CAN HAPPEN IT WILL HAPPEN !
    In the U.K. and Europe (E.U ) All mechanical and electrical equipment has to by law have annual inspections. This is a pain but it ensure that when you need an item it works !
    A similar set up at home will help. A label on each item dated next maintenance day .
    Same with filters, next purge day, major clean day.

Brian
    Tora Bora likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tora Bora View Post
    Hi ,

• Should a battalion of frogs take over your pond and croak their way through the nights in their amorous ventures. Please look around the pond floor , and skimmer baskets . In fighting is common in frogs , and dead frogs can give rise to bacterial infections , if left alone on the floor , or any other place.
    I've been there for sure. There were 36 of them in the basket and 11 of them were dead.
    Lessons Learnt-home.jpg
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    I've been there for sure. There were 36 of them in the basket and 11 of them were dead.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	38280
    Thats more than a handful JN !

Nights can be difficult , when the croak non-stop !

Nisai
    I have told countless people repeatedly to never, ever, have their water pump(s) and air pump(s) on the same electrical circuit. While doing some remodeling/redesign, I relocated the air pumps to the circuit carrying the water pumps and everything was functioning perfectly for weeks while I performed said work. As it so happened at the beginning of June of this year, my wife and I took a 4 day trip to visit our new grandson, and sure enough as is typical in the Houston area, a storm rolled through, the GFIC breaker on the circuit tripped. Upon our return, I was almost in tears as the casualty rate was substantial and I spent considerable time scooping out many of my best fish who were no longer in need of oxygen or water. Absolutely heartbreaking and could have so easily preventable had I been thinking. Lessons Learnt-dsc01392.jpg
    Moto Kara Koi Kai ZNA

Lone Star Koi Club

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I have told countless people repeatedly to never, ever, have their water pump(s) and air pump(s) on the same electrical circuit. While doing some remodeling/redesign, I relocated the air pumps to the circuit carrying the water pumps and everything was functioning perfectly for weeks while I performed said work. As it so happened at the beginning of June of this year, my wife and I took a 4 day trip to visit our new grandson, and sure enough as is typical in the Houston area, a storm rolled through, the GFIC breaker on the circuit tripped. Upon our return, I was almost in tears as the casualty rate was substantial and I spent considerable time scooping out many of my best fish who were no longer in need of oxygen or water. Absolutely heartbreaking and could have so easily preventable had I been thinking. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01392.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	38282
    Hi Paulie ,

Thank you for sharing the heart wrenching pain of your loss. I have done the same mistake , and will be correcting it asap . A small oversight can cost us dearly.

Warm regards,
    Sanjay