Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Awards Systems: Shows Within Shows

Awards Systems: Shows Within Shows

A couple of years ago ZNA created new awards in an effort to encourage the showing of non-gosanke and thereby increase show participation and public appeal. So, we now have the Botan Prize, the Sakura Prize, the Tsubaki prize, etc. These new awards were designated as major and seem to have increased the number of non-gosanke photographs published in Nichirin. Whether they have yet increased the number of non-gosanke entries I cannot say. The proliferation of awards is something that has occurred throughout the history of the hobby. It usually involves giving recognition to koi that lack the refinement to compete against gosanke females. These are popular with koikeepers who do not show, and are an economic mainstay of many breeders. It has become common in the U.S. and other countries for there to be a Grand Champion A (gosanke) and Grand Champion B (non-gosanke). Only a couple of shows differentiate non-gosanke for special recognition other than for best in their variety (class) and Grand Champion B. The only other award non-gosanke have any real chance of winning is for Jumbo.

So, I finally got around to the June 2013 issue of Nichirin and in studying the photos of the ZNA Chugoku District Show I realized it truly involved two separate divisions at all levels. It was two shows in one. Division 1 was for gosanke. Division 2 was for non-gosanke. Both divisions had Grand Champion, Superior Champion,Mature, Adult, Young, Baby, Best in Sizes and...Jumbo. Yep. Can't let the Chagoi/Karashigoi have undue advantage over the gosanke in the jumbo competition, so there is even a Division 1 Jumbo Award and a Division 2 Jumbo Award. Truly two separate shows held simultaneously.

I doubt many U.S. shows will follow suit simply because the cost of awards would skyrocket and our entry fees are so low the cost would not be easily covered. It will be interesting, however, whether this approach is adopted in those countries where shows have the finances to cover the extra cost.

BTW, off-topic, but... if you have the June 2013 issue of Nichirin, check out the Best 45bu Division 1 winner at the Chugoku District Show... an interesting Sanke that looks like a Showa without sumi on its head and incomplete motoguro. The body, however, is Sanke. We often see koi benched as Showa that have a heavy dose of Sanke. It is less common to see one of these intermediates benched as Sanke. Just a curious thing to note.

Hi Mike,

A few years ago the Japanese Shinkokai (Association of Breeders and Dealers) add the non-gosanke group awards that you listed above to split the non-gosanke into three groups for their All Japan Shows based on their past ability to compete for top non-gosanke awards by size. I had not noticed until the June Nichirin magazine that any of the ZNA shows had followed this trend of adding awards for non gosanke. The Chugoku District show went one step further it seems and added "B" champion awards From Grand right down thru to Baby Champion. It will be interesting to see if this experiment speeds into a broader trend.

In many U.S. shows with approximately 100 koi and the majority being gosanke there could be some fairly ordinary koi win awards. This could be good for the professionals marketing koi and promotion of hobbyist bringing more koi to a show but counterproductive from a educational stand point. Will the lesson learned by a new hobbyist that a winner of a group "c" non-gosanke with minimal or no competition be worth the same value as the winner of a gosanke group award with lots of significant competition? Regardless every show has the right to set up their show groups and awards however they wish.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Hello Mike, They started to remove Grand Champion B and Jumbo Champion in SA in 2012 to be inline with ZNA thinking.

New Awards introduced ....

Superior Grand Champion ( size 8 & 9 )

Jumbo A Award (from Gosanke and Shiro Utsuri)

Jumbo B Award ( from all varieties other than Gosanke and Shiro Utsuri)

Best Non-Gosanke Award ( from all varieties other than Gosanke and Shiro Utsuri)

Running virtually two parallel shows simultaneously is an interesting idea, but I'm somewhat surprised this concept originated in Japan, given that nation's sensibilities about the preeminence of gosanke.

I seem to remember a discussion in the last year on this forum regarding whether to include a Grand Champion in both 'B' as well as 'A' categories. I don't recall the results, and would be interested in an informal 'roll call' of Club Shows and their position on this subject from around the country. I'll start with the First Coast Koi Club of Jacksonville that will be holding it's annual show the 2nd weekend of October. We only have one GC, and will have 2 Reserve winners, A and B.

In SA their is a group that is of the opinion that this is a further downscaling of the value of Non-Gosanke and driven by monetary value...

When you have a show that creates awards as Gosanke or Non-Gosanke, you are restricting any non-gosanke from winning anything but non-gosanke awards. In other words if the overall best koi in a show was say a Shiro Utsuri or a Gin Rin Showa it could only win a non-gosanke Champion B award.

Oyagoi
    Troy should be the one commenting as he is more knowledgeable but at louisville show they have a young B and a baby B award
    i would think it has brought out a few nice under 20 inch non gosankes to compete.
    if you had a REALLY nice 12 inch goshiki would you bring it to the show if there was not a baby B?
    after all it would have to compete against the 25+ inch goshiki for best in variety?
    and maybe this 12 inch koi is show ready now and would never hit 25 inches or would start going down hill say after 20 inches
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    When you have a show that creates awards as Gosanke or Non-Gosanke, you are restricting any non-gosanke from winning anything but non-gosanke awards. In other words if the overall best koi in a show was say a Shiro Utsuri or a Gin Rin Showa it could only win a non-gosanke Champion B award.

These are the only awards from size 7-9 available to Non Gosanke and Shiro Utsuri

Jumbo A Award (from Gosanke and Shiro Utsuri)

Jumbo B Award ( from all varieties other than Gosanke and Shiro Utsuri)

Best Non-Gosanke Award ( from all varieties other than Gosanke and Shiro Utsuri)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I doubt many U.S. shows will follow suit simply because the cost of awards would skyrocket and our entry fees are so low the cost would not be easily covered. It will be interesting, however, whether this approach is adopted in those countries where shows have the finances to cover the extra cost.
    We've been doing this exact thing at ZNA Potomac for 3 years. This will be the fourth year in a row. By the way we also switched from size 1, size 2 etc to 10bu, 20bu etc a couple years ago as well.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Our show has a GCA and GCB but the ZNA scroll goes to whichever one the judges think is best and well quite frankly call it A or B or Z if you want its the scroll that matters .
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast