Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Koi Breeding Project

Nisai
    Hi guys. starting to get very busy with the project now...

I've run some test spawnings ( I've run some test spawnings - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist , Fertilised shiro eggs - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist , Shiro babies! - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist) - two shiro spawnings.and one turned out quite good. ended up with loads of hatchlings, and we performed kuroku:

Shiro utsuri kuroku - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

they're doing ok now outside in their fry pond; there's been a massive daphnia bloom, which could have been a bit later but I'll certainly take it now rather than not at all.

I've started to think about exhibiting at the South Downs show, near Worthing , UK in around a month's time - and did a measure up on a few fish this weekend.

Good news, and bad news; plus a measure up in advance of the South Downs show - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

plus - I've kicked off another kohaku spawning.

last year - I only managed to fill one of the fry pond fully, once. Looks like the shiro spawning has got me roughly there this year - and now it's whether I can achieve another decent spawning in May, I really hope so - but so many things can easily go against me. like, one of the males jumping out of the spawning tank this evening!

Nisai
    High Tangles; I've missed the thread - what picture are you thinking of?

Well, Adam, good luck with the Shiros. If you figure out how to cull them after getting rid of deformities and ones that develop Hi, be sure to share what you learn!

Nisai
    Hi MikeM - will do, and it's interesting to see the sample of shiro's we put to one side; most are developing white, but there's the odd black one in there. We'll have a proper count up when we harvest the pond.

Further updates: spawnings have gone much better this year than ever before; I reckon I've hatched more koi fry in the last month that the sum of all the hatchlings to date on the project. here's an update:

Spawnings are going much better this year compared to last year - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

kohaku spawnings went well, and I got a bumper hatch from the re-run of the July 14 parent set:

Spawnings update - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

kohaku fry doing well in their fry pond. shiro's - not well; I'm going to sample the pond this weekend, but expect to be emptying it and starting again. interestingly, the sample of shiros that are in their own pool are doing ok. So I will at least have the chance to learn from that little experiment...

Mid May, and 2 good spawnings out in the fry ponds - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

Nisai
    Hi,

After almost 3 years of hard work, taking risks and spening a lot (!), I had a major success at the 2nd South of England Koi show last weekend.

I took 10 of my home bred koi - 8 kohaku, and 2 tancho. And they performed amazingly well.

I won the Baby Champion award!

Plus - the breadth of awards was a long way beyond expectations:

I locked out size 2 kohaku show class, winning 1st, 2nd and 3rd – and that was out of 10 koi
    I almost locked out size 3 kohaku show class winning 1st and 3rd – and that was also out of 10 koi
    I almost locked out size 2 irrespective of variety, winning 1st and 3rd - and that was out of 36 koi
    And I also won 3rd in size 3 irrespective of variety too - and that was out of 39 koi
    I came 1st out of 2 koi in Tancho size 2, and 2nd out of 7 koi in kohaku size 1.
    And to top it all off – two of my size 2 kohaku’s were in contention for Baby Champion, and one of them took the coveted prize. There were 80 fish competing for this prize.

Just writing that list out, and - reminding myself this was achieved with my home bred koi - it's taking some time to sink in.

I would have been happy with a placing in size 2 kohaku! And, it turned out so much better than that.

Full write up and pics here:

Baby Champion! Project objective achieved. - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

Mark Gardener took pics of all the major winners, which includes my Baby Champ :-) It's the best pic of my Baby Champ, and you kind find those here:

2nd South Downs Koi Show - Major Winners | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com

Having a pic of one of my home bred koi on Mark's blog page is a privaledge. I'm so chuffed.

Thank you to the South Downs Koi Club + the other local clubs involved, all the exhibitors, and everyone else involved in running the show, for putting on such a great show! A big thank you also to Mike Michael Snaden for supplying wonderful brood fish - and for his advice and guidance on all things koi, in particular kohaku selection. If it wasnt for Mike's tip on using the same female twice in one season - I wouldnt have the spawning which delivered the baby champ.... Thanks also to Mark Davis for his help in getting my prioject going and teaching me how to breed fish and also so much about koi husbandry, and to Allan Bennett (koi hobbyist from Australia) for being generally awesome support in all aspects of my project - sharing information, and helping me through the highs and lows behind the scene. And to Amanda Byer for being an amazing wife - and allowing me to use a large part of the garden for fish
    :-) And, for putting up with a husband who spends most of the time at work - and then when he gets home, turns the lights on outside and heads into his "man shed" (ie, the polytunnel) to do fish stuff.

Mark Gardener took a few more pics of my fish at the show, which you can find here:

https://www.facebook.com/niigatanishikigoi

you have to scroll down the page a bit - look for his post on June 7th at 5:55pm.

the whole thing has been so mind blowing - in celebratory mood, and with a planned pond visit at ours on Wednesday evening this week for Kangei Koi Club - Amanda and I decided to donate 4 of our home bred tosai to a charity auction. And we raised £400 in total, with £360 on the fish. Not bad considering the auction was impromptu. We'll have a better go at it next year :-) We were joined by a large proportion of the club, including members Mark Davis and Gary Prtichard. And Kevin Ellis joined us too - and I hope you'll get to see some of the event on his next vid.

Happy koi keeping!

Congratulations! Good to have such recognition of what you are accomplishing..... Now you have to get back to work to get the Size 3 award!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213