Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Koi Breeding Project

There is another positive. The Loch Ness Shiro looks pretty good from what I can see. Hope it turns out female.

A dose of lime to all the little puddles/footprints that form when you drain a mud pond will eliminate survivors. I always have lots of tadpoles and when the lime kills them, I know it will kill any fry hiding too. It's also good to raise ph and counter the effects of acid rain.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    There is another positive. The Loch Ness Shiro looks pretty good from what I can see. Hope it turns out female.
    yes, it's a bit of luck they actually look shiro-like. one has some red on the head, and there's also too much black on the head. but the other one isnt a complete write off. here's a video of them tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BBXR7em44

and another turn up this evening:

Koi Keeping - It's a funny old game - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    A dose of lime to all the little puddles/footprints that form when you drain a mud pond will eliminate survivors. I always have lots of tadpoles and when the lime kills them, I know it will kill any fry hiding too. It's also good to raise ph and counter the effects of acid rain.
    thanks for the tip.

Good job, Adam! Both fish look fantastic! What are their size and age? What do their parents look like?

Regards,
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by AdamByer View Post
    yes, it's a bit of luck they actually look shiro-like. one has some red on the head, and there's also too much black on the head. but the other one isnt a complete write off. here's a video of them tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BBXR7em44

and another turn up this evening:

Koi Keeping - It's a funny old game - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist
    Hi Adam, nice Fish, plenty of 'bulk ' to them, could be worth thinking about breeding 'fry' of any kind to feed your better Koi ?
    the Japanese feed their culls to their keepers after killing then boiling them, so feeding culls to larger koi, live not so much of a leap !

Brian

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Good job, Adam! Both fish look fantastic! What are their size and age? What do their parents look like?

Regards,
    Sunny
    Hi, the shiro spawning was early june so those two young koi are around 3.5 months old. I don't have a picture of the parents, but there's a short video of the actual spawning taking place here, and you get glimpses of the parent fish:

Another spawning this morning. - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

all 3 parent fish have good body shapes, but the mum in particular has a good body shape for a shiro. I'll try and get a picture when I next net her.

those two shiros are quite a bit larger then the next largest from that batch, or even the kohaku batch spawned at the same time. amazing, when you consider the story behind those shiro's - and shows what can be achieved with fry given the right temperature, space and food. we've had a good summer here in the uk (and in my area, than means over 20 degrees C during the day and in the low teen's at night) - and that must have helped.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
    Hi Adam, nice Fish, plenty of 'bulk ' to them, could be worth thinking about breeding 'fry' of any kind to feed your better Koi ?
    the Japanese feed their culls to their keepers after killing then boiling them, so feeding culls to larger koi, live not so much of a leap !

Brian
    thanks Brian. I've got some ideas for improving the way I feed the fry next year, but the approach you suggest the Japanese take isnt for me - although I've heard the same stories from other sources too. the shiro's have clearly benefited from a richer food source, so i need to find a way of doing that on a larger scale and economically - and without polluting the water.

Nisai
    Hi all,

It's been a while since I last updated you, and there have been some ups and downs

Basically - one piece of bad luck, and a particularly voracious costia outbreak put paid to my best tosai prospects from the project this year. The last couple of months have been fairly quiet on the project front; there are a few updates, which you can see on the blog.

Overall though, the good new is - all the fish are well, and new arrivals setting in like a treat. Just can't wait for the spring now, and the new breeding season.

Happy holidays to you all.

Adam

Nisai
    Hi,

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been walking from my winter koi hibernation and aches and pains are arising as I get back into some hard work.

I'll keep my blog site as up to date as possible. Just got in this evening after some good work with a head torch - adding aeration and fertiliser to the fry ponds. Adjusting temperatures in my QT to separate the showa female we imported some months ago from the males - in preparation for spawning which I hope will be ealier than last year - perhaps early May..

Is any one else out there going to have a go at breeding koi this year?

Adam.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast