Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Koi Breeding Project

Nisai

Koi Breeding Project

Hi,

I've started a koi breeding project, with the aim of breeding a koi that wins a prize at a koi show beating atleast one other koi in the process. This is a big challenge!

I've been working on it since winter 2012 / spring 2013 and I started a blog about the project earlier this year. I've been keeping the blog up to date and sharing as much as I can.

Here's my project plan:

My project plan - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

Here's the overall blog, which shows the latest blog / diary items:

Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

In summary, I've :

- built some ponds to rear koi fry
    - collected some koi to use as parent fish
    - done a bunch of spawnings

and:

- I'm almost ready to do second selection on kohaku I spawned earlier this year
    - I have shusui, showa and more kohaku spawned a couple of weeks ago growing on in the fry ponds.

This is much larger than my usual projects, and it is quite a bit to take on. It's been a mixed bag so far, but I'm learning a lot and I am starting to think about next year and how to build on the experience from this year.

I've gone about as large scale as I can, working within the usual constraints of time and budget. Nevertheless, I've got some decent kohaku from my early summer spawning which is promising.

I am based in the UK.

Happy koi keeping.

Adam
    Akai-San likes this.

Breeders have to start somewhere. Wish you the best of luck with it.

Welcome Adam! Wow!!! I am envious of the amount space you have for your breeding project. I am also a hobbyist/breeder but I only have a small backyard to work with. My goal is the same as yours, which is to raise koi that can complete in shows. So far, out the two spawns, I think I have a few fish that might be show worthy. I will find out from the judges this coming weekend at the Dallas Koi Kichi show. I hope they won't laugh at my koi. :-) Please keep us posted. Good luck and have fun!

Regards,
    Sunny

If a person lowered their sights, they'd do better competeing against gosanke bred by professionals. Kohaku is about the most competitive class that you could pick. Shusui,bekko, yamabuki, a little easier to place in. I got a Reserve GC with a 5 year effort of backyard breeding with my #2 home bred Kumonryu. I don't know who was more surprised, myself that the judge felt a doutsu deserved such a high placement or the judge when he found out it was American bred. It's a memory that I will long cherish. So i wish you both well in your efforts....
    Dick Benbow

Adam,
    May Lady Luck be on your side!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    If a person lowered their sights, they'd do better competeing against gosanke bred by professionals. Kohaku is about the most competitive class that you could pick. Shusui,bekko, yamabuki, a little easier to place in. I got a Reserve GC with a 5 year effort of backyard breeding with my #2 home bred Kumonryu. I don't know who was more surprised, myself that the judge felt a doutsu deserved such a high placement or the judge when he found out it was American bred. It's a memory that I will long cherish. So i wish you both well in your efforts....
    Yes, I good Ki Bekko... no gosanke!

Adam, a lot of love and dedication and effort going into it. Is it keeping you up nights?

Wondering about the filter changeover where you replaced the brush filters with K1 media. Not familiar with that media, what made you change to it?

Great project and a great job of documenting your efforts. Best of luck.
    Mitch

Koi are a joy I know, a journey I am told, Sanjay might even point to hints of enlightenment. So here’s the deal, the deal we made with carp: We will eat you and in return we will carry you around. More carp is the eaten than any other fish in aquaculture, carp are now in the rivers and lakes of every habitable continent. Then with koi we expanded the bargain and committed to make them beautiful as well, they in return bear the sembetsu.

As you say Koi farming is a numbers game so is Texas Hold Em. Hasegawa famed for kohaku says (in Koishi) that if the he lets 10% of a huge spawn die the whole effort is wasted since the best were in the weakest 10%. The trick apparently is not only in how many but in how few. You have heard it said, that he who chases after two hares catches neither. If I were to koi farm I would focus on neglected varieties and develop a name there first. Karashigoi, akame kigoi, hirenaga kinginrin kikokuryu are in demand but limited production. At koi shows there are more kohakus then you can shake a stick at, but a ki bekko, not a single one. Nice bekkos are beautiful, but are extraordinarily rare.
    ricshaw and Jake Levi like this.

Nisai
    Thanks Sunny, and really good luck for this weekend. I'll be interested to hear how you get on - and do you have any pictures of some of the better ones you've bred?

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Welcome Adam! Wow!!! I am envious of the amount space you have for your breeding project. I am also a hobbyist/breeder but I only have a small backyard to work with. My goal is the same as yours, which is to raise koi that can complete in shows. So far, out the two spawns, I think I have a few fish that might be show worthy. I will find out from the judges this coming weekend at the Dallas Koi Kichi show. I hope they won't laugh at my koi. :-) Please keep us posted. Good luck and have fun!

Regards,
    Sunny

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast