Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Flubendazole and water clarity

Sansai

Flubendazole and water clarity

Hi ,

Did any one of you who have used flubendazole based medication for fluke treatment of their ponds , notice any dramatic change in water clarity for the better. Why i ask this, is because i used a suspension of this medication sourced from U.K, both in our ponds as well as the QT , 4 days ago . Yesterday night i noticed a startling frozen crystal like clarity to the water in the pond ( my family though say that the clarity most times has been like this , i dont agree , since i spend the most time in noticing things happening in and around the pond ). My doubt was confirmed when i looked into the QT and saw and felt the same clarity that our pond has been having since adding the medication.

Any inputs is most appreciated .

Best regards,
    Sanjay

Hi Sanjay, just got out of hospital ( just in case some thought it was prison !) complete with a bit of scarp iron (hope not ).
    Glad to hear you have got the Flubendazole. The clarity will be because it has killed more than just the flukes.
    You may need to clean out filters more for a few days, do it manually rather than flush to waste .
    Vacuum the pond remove any dead snail shells.
    NT s' chemicals are very good, they tend to sell all items as separate items where as some put together a remedy.
    Something to kill the parasite + something to help any wounds heal .
    Have you made that chart yet ?
    Brian

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
    Hi Sanjay, just got out of hospital ( just in case some thought it was prison !) complete with a bit of scarp iron (hope not ).
    Glad to hear you have got the Flubendazole. The clarity will be because it has killed more than just the flukes.
    You may need to clean out filters more for a few days, do it manually rather than flush to waste .
    Vacuum the pond remove any dead snail shells.
    NT s' chemicals are very good, they tend to sell all items as separate items where as some put together a remedy.
    Something to kill the parasite + something to help any wounds heal .
    Have you made that chart yet ?
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

Thanks very much , and wishing the best of health greets you very soon.

I did the second dose of Flukasol today ( reduced the water volume to 50% and then dosed ) , prior to which i manually cleaned the 2m3 settlement apart from the daily flush . Also purged , the two bottom drain lines . Could not find any snails in the settlement . The bakki does have little snails , but removing the media and cleaning will be too much . Since just about 3 months ago my little son and myself, as a team , laboriously emptied the 5 tiers and sun dried the BHM on the roof for a week. Doing it all over again , will set back the recently seeded bacteria , apart from the work of emptying the tiers and roping up buckets of BHM , laying them over the terrace , 200 kgs in all !!

When getting the medications i also bought sachets of Chloramine T , and B-D-S fluke treatment 1 litre bottle . Chloramine T , i understand is a general treatment in reducing parasites and bacterial count in pond , but is harmful to the filters . Any advice that you have on these medications, will be much appreciated .

Not formed a chart exactly , but the dosages have been recorded.

Thanks very much and best regards,
    Sanjay

HI Sanjay , glad to see that you took my advice and contacted NT Labs to acquire your meds.
    I hope that you noticed their LEARNING ZONE on their web site.
    B.D.S. IS VERY GOOD , can be used as a prophylactic ( used just in case without seeing any symptoms ) I never do prophylactic treatments, but in your case it may be worth thinking about IF you have the same problem each year at the same year on year. It may be worth thinking about hitting these flukes before they take hold ?
    Chloramine T IS MAINLY USED as an aid to kio in cold weather !!!! something you might be greatful of !!!! ha ha
    Never used it in warm weather ? (your winter !) Normally used when filters are working on very little waste in put ( no feeding )
    Their learning Zone is worth looking at for all , just to find out whats out there if nothing else !

Brian

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
    HI Sanjay , glad to see that you took my advice and contacted NT Labs to acquire your meds.
    I hope that you noticed their LEARNING ZONE on their web site.
    B.D.S. IS VERY GOOD , can be used as a prophylactic ( used just in case without seeing any symptoms ) I never do prophylactic treatments, but in your case it may be worth thinking about IF you have the same problem each year at the same year on year. It may be worth thinking about hitting these flukes before they take hold ?
    Chloramine T IS MAINLY USED as an aid to kio in cold weather !!!! something you might be greatful of !!!! ha ha
    Never used it in warm weather ? (your winter !) Normally used when filters are working on very little waste in put ( no feeding )
    Their learning Zone is worth looking at for all , just to find out whats out there if nothing else !

Brian
    Hi Brian,

Cool weather down this part of India , see the pond not going down lower that 60 F, for about two months . Probably will use Chloramine T , as an yearly clean up . Glad i bought the BDS.

Did check NT's learning zone . Always good to recap information.

Best regards,
    Sanjay