Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Quick koi bagging question

Quick koi bagging question

When bagging koi for transport, is it better to use pond water,
    tap water that's been dechlorinated or RO water from the store?

RO water would be deadly to koi or any fish. RO water with near zero minerals and such would pour into the cells of a fish trying to equalize the higher mineral content found in tissues. This would result in severe edema and death in a short period of time.

For short trips where koi will be in the bag less that 4-5 hours I am very comfortable using my pond water as long as it is great quality and has minimal platonic algae (green water)

For longer trips or situations where pond water is green or having any issues like high organics I would use dechlorinated city water with the understanding that it be otherwise healthy water. With chlorinated city water add the appropriate amount of decholor agent and aeration for several hours then test the water for chlorine with a "pond water" chlorine test kit sensitive enough to measure 0.05 ppm chlorine. It is best to do this the evening before bagging your koi. Be aware that at any time city water can ramp up the chlorine levels to 50 ppm. A variety of other chemicals can be added due to water line breaks or routine culture tests showing high levels of bacteria, algae, insect larvae, or fungi. When this happens we are usually OK because we only use a small % at a time for water changes so the new water is greatly diluted in our ponds. If you use hyper treated city water to bag your koi it could result in a disaster.

Transporting koi from Austin is only about 3 hours or a bit more so definitely you want to use healthy pond water!!
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

If this is transport to a show, I use pond water. Bearing in mind that show prep means I am changing most of the pond water over in the weeks prior to the show.

Oyagoi
    GOOD LUCK getting them bagged tomorrow.
    stay CALM
    breathe deep in through nose out through mouth

do not be in hurry and get chasing them all over pond keep calm and they will cooperate so much better.
    since first time have bottle of water to take a drink before catching next one to help stay calm

I like to use Ultimate in my transport water. I also like to use Elbagin. But, clean pond water is all I've used, with success. Many might disagree with my use of Elbagin and/or Ultimate.

For years I used pond water plus oxygen, then I was told fresh tap water treated with ClorAm-X (plus oxygen) was better.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    For years I used pond water plus oxygen, then I was told fresh tap water treated with ClorAm-X (plus oxygen) was better.
    Thanks guys.. I've been doing a 20% a day trickle through for over a week and was averaging 10% a day prior to that. I should be good... I do have some ultimate on hand. Ill have to contemplate using it or not. What would be the down side of accidentally using too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    Thanks guys.. I've been doing a 20% a day trickle through for over a week and was averaging 10% a day prior to that. I should be good... I do have some ultimate on hand. Ill have to contemplate using it or not. What would be the down side of accidentally using too much?
    Hi Loco, as with any drug , if you are not 100% confident that you have worked out the doseage do not use it ! full stop !!!!!
    You can and will kill a koi with wrong dose .

If In doubt work out your dose and post it . Someone will put you right ( not your competitors !!! ) ​ONLY JOKING ! ( I think ?)
    A point I picked up on this site about transport, place the Koi across the car and not in line .

Good luck to all who enter , but the Koi you showed us in an earlier thread looked good .

Brian