Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: upgrading to Bakki House media

Nisai

upgrading to Bakki House media

After having a few problems with gill flukes this year ( all clear now I hope?) It has occurred to me that the koi may or may not be stressed in some way which has caused these outbreaks. I have posted on here regarding my concerns about a p.H swing of more than 0.4.Some may say this is of no concern. I also wonder if I have sufficient air going into the pond, as I have several very large koi. I have therefore decided to increase my shower by another 2 trays ( total 4) and double the current flow rate with another 16000 ltr pumps. I now have a 20000ltr and a 16000 ltre pump supplied fro 2 skimmers. I realize there will be a considerable head loss as these are eco pumps and are not designed to pump against any head. I have also increased the size of the pipework to 2" and will be adding a couple of layers of jap matting for further mechanical pre-filtration.
    I have also heard claims that such media as cristal bio are better at reducing nitrate than bhm. so I will be adding some of that too ( alredy in my shower) My hopes in upgrading are two fold. By increasing the available oxygen in the water, it will drive out any CO2 as it is produced by photosythisis as well as koi and filters and therefore help to reduce the p.H swings. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Best REgards Dave

MCA
    measure the DO level with at test kit. You want DO as close as possible to saturation for the temperature and altitude. Both temp and altitude impact DO levels. Lower, colder means higher potential DO maximum while higher, hotter means lower potential DO maximum. Personally I would not put matting in a shower if you can use BH media. My 2'x3' trays only have BH media.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    measure the DO level with at test kit. You want DO as close as possible to saturation for the temperature and altitude. Both temp and altitude impact DO levels. Lower, colder means higher potential DO maximum while higher, hotter means lower potential DO maximum. Personally I would not put matting in a shower if you can use BH media. My 2'x3' trays only have BH media.
    MCA Thanks for your reply. My DO levels are always at saturation, however the koi always look a bit lathargic at higher temperatures especially in the morning. and go mad in the evening. ( increased oxygen through photosythisis)Once temperatures go down to 22 degC and below, the koi are much more active. Regards the Jap mat. Just notice that it tends to trap small particals of blanket weed and wonder whether or not this would eventully foul the BHM as this would be difficult to break up. No?
    Best REgards Dave

I use mats to cover the BH media in the top tray of my Bakki in order to capture the algae pieces and debris that makes it through the preceding steps of the run. Before doing so, the BH on top would capture algae glarf that would rot. It was very difficult to clean out. Now, I just remove the mats and clean them, getting rid of the glarf. Less work and better results. If the pre-filtration is fully efficient in capturing debris, then I'd do without the mats.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I use mats to cover the BH media in the top tray of my Bakki in order to capture the algae pieces and debris that makes it through the preceding steps of the run. Before doing so, the BH on top would capture algae glarf that would rot. It was very difficult to clean out. Now, I just remove the mats and clean them, getting rid of the glarf. Less work and better results. If the pre-filtration is fully efficient in capturing debris, then I'd do without the mats.
    Me too Thanks for your input Best Regards Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    MCA Thanks for your reply. My DO levels are always at saturation, however the koi always look a bit lathargic at higher temperatures especially in the morning. and go mad in the evening. ( increased oxygen through photosythisis)Once temperatures go down to 22 degC and below, the koi are much more active. Regards the Jap mat. Just notice that it tends to trap small particals of blanket weed and wonder whether or not this would eventully foul the BHM as this would be difficult to break up. No?
    Best REgards Dave

Hi Daveb , hope you don't think that O2 at saturation means that plenty of Oxygen is available to your Koi.
    Have a look at this chart Missouri Department of Natural Resources MAXIMUM Dissolved Oxygen Chart
    DO Saturation Table

Hope that shows you what I mean.

I would go for some type of mat or sponge pre showers, much easier to clean. Stops pores in materials getting blocked and reducing surface areas.

Brian
    Last edited by semi skilled keeper; 09-02-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: could not post site