Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Just Learned: Brady Brandwood Has Stopped Breeding

Just Learned: Brady Brandwood Has Stopped Breeding

I was saddened to learn today that Brady Brandwood has closed down his breeding operation. A dozen years ago, when talk of an American-bred koi winning a show got going, Brady was always mentioned as one who might accomplish that goal. His was a small operation as koi breeding goes, but he consistently produced beautiful koi. Folks in the U.S. have been taught a lot by Brady. His Koi Fixx video magazine was an innovative step in bringing the whole koi scene to subscribers' living rooms. When my pond was built in 2005, he supplied me with an assortment of Showa, each with a different type of sumi, for me to study and learn from. And he selected well. I learned a great deal from those Showa, much of which I did not realize I had learned until much later. On the boards he would post progress shots of individual koi, teaching how pigments developed, how bodies developed and so much more. His breeding efforts were in the forefront of U.S. breeders seeking to produce high quality domestic-bred koi. Checking around the net, today I realized that I had not checked out Brady's Lotusland Koi site for some months. So, I visited and learned that he shut down his breeding this year and sold off stock back in June. I had not heard. So, I thought I'd post about it in case others were unaware.

Have fun with your videography, Brady! ...And, the canoeing, the kayak and all your adventures. You'll sure have more time for it all! ...And, I hope you'll still share your knowledge when the occasion arises.

Yes sadly mike I heard several months ago. I echo your sentiments about what a loss this is to american bred koi. I'd like to know who ended up with his breeding stock as he had some very good genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Yes sadly mike I heard several months ago. I echo your sentiments about what a loss this is to american bred koi. I'd like to know who ended up with his breeding stock as he had some very good genetics.
    He kept some stuff I believe.

Hi All, I have sold out of Koi at the farm,... and am taking a break from breeding for a while. I sold my stocks to a great guy in Waxhaw, NC though, so he's close to Charlotte, and there most every day. His name is Larry, phone # 704-256-4969. Thanks, Brady

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    He kept some stuff I believe.

Hi All, I have sold out of Koi at the farm,... and am taking a break from breeding for a while. I sold my stocks to a great guy in Waxhaw, NC though, so he's close to Charlotte, and there most every day. His name is Larry, phone # 704-256-4969. Thanks, Brady
    Always sad when a Koi farm closes down, but hope you noted 'break from breeding for a while ' SOUND LIKE HE IS LEAVING THE DOOR OPEN !

Good luck Brady, enjoy the time off then come back reinvigorate, your mates and customers will still be their for you.

Brian

Sad news! I always enjoyed Brady's posts on koi forums and the DVD series he made a few years ago. I visited his farm a few years ago and really enjoyed buying some koi from him.Our hobby is poorer for this loss. Brady I hope to see you at a koi event in the near future.

Koi breeding is a tough business. Lots of obstacles with all too often minimum (if any) return on investment. Most AMerican Koi farms are operated as part time businesses which the owner having a full time job in addition to koi breeding. Love for koi and a passion for breeding koi are usually more the motivation than expectation of a significant profit. The old joke about how to end up with a million dollars breeding koi is to start with 5 million is not far from the truth.

It is important to support American Koi breeders for lots of reasons not the least of which is the quality koi they produce. At the Dallas Koi show this past weekend a number of group awards up to Mature Champion and several Best in Size and best in Class were taken by koi bred at Purdin koi Farm and Razorback koi farm.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Ray, Kleinholz Koi Farm from Oklahoma also made the list as well with several awards including GC Longfin and best in variety in Hikari Moyo classes.