Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Pond depth/ Oxygen

Pond depth/ Oxygen

I am very interested to see what everyone thinks about Mike Snaden's article in the new Mark Gardener Digest, discussing issues with making a pond too deep and having too high oxygen saturation. This was written in relationship to growing jumbo koi.

Let the debate begin!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysuzanna View Post
    I am very interested to see what everyone thinks about Mike Snaden's article in the new Mark Gardener Digest, discussing issues with making a pond too deep and having too high oxygen saturation. This was written in relationship to growing jumbo koi.

Let the debate begin!
    NOT READ THAT FAR YET ! BOBBY SUZANNA

But will with interest ! Next year I am building ( or having built for me if I am not fit enough to do it )
    Playing with plans over winter, depth is one thing I can't seem to get consensus on !!
    Some say 2 meters deep is plenty others say they would go for 3 metres or more !

O2 SATURATION is one big subject with many writes and wrongs .
    The last part of this is costs !!!!! A, OF BUILDING B , OF RUNNING COSTS !!! THE BIG ONE

When I think I have the design sorted I will post it for input, I know that will just confuse me more , but you might just save me time and or money and heartbreak

Brian

I've maintains that the optimum depth is 1.5 meters and that genetics is the primary determinant of bulk and not exercise/depth. This would certainly go along with the pond that David Soon has which is only one meter deep. I dare say there are few koi keepers around that have as well developed koi as Brother David.
    I think when he speaks of over saturation with oxygen, he is comparing to air O2 content. It is known that ponds with high organic content which will have O2 saturation as high as 200% of the surrounding air and then drop dramatically at night with photosynthetic cycle.

http://www.ioos.noaa.gov/qartod/diss...saturation.pdf

Hi 1.5 m would not be deep enough for an English winter, without heating .This could well be deep enough in a mild winter area , with plenty of shade for summer .

Brian

MCA
    Koi as carp are riverine fish. In my part of the country, 1.5m of depth is a creek or stream...dang sure not a river. While Mike Snaden has a definite eye for picking tosai, no way would I follow his shallow pond advice. There must be strange things going on in UK ponds...like the need to heat the pond....in the summer.
    Flounder likes this.

Currently have a 1.5 meter pond, but needs shade in summer and to be enclosed in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysuzanna View Post
    I've maintains that the optimum depth is 1.5 meters and that genetics is the primary determinant of bulk and not exercise/depth. This would certainly go along with the pond that David Soon has which is only one meter deep. I dare say there are few koi keepers around that have as well developed koi as Brother David.
    Soooo....David's koi are better developed because of genetics and not conditions????

Fry
    Hi. Yes I think so, David's kois prices are wayyyy over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Koi as carp are riverine fish. In my part of the country, 1.5m of depth is a creek or stream...dang sure not a river. While Mike Snaden has a definite eye for picking tosai, no way would I follow his shallow pond advice. There must be strange things going on in UK ponds...like the need to heat the pond....in the summer.
    Yes not read the Heating ponds in our summer bit , but sounds a bit much to me , yes heat means growth to a point .
    Spot on re Mikes eye for Tosai, has a good video out at the moment. @ around $40
    Yes it is more about avoiding temp swings , depth means volume in most cases , the more you have the smaller the swings.
    Reducing temps also reduces spawnings / to a point .

Brian

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast