Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Koi shows

Koi shows

What is the largest koi show by numbers in the USA? I know the All Japan can go into the thousands, but is there a show in the US that gets close to 300-400? I saw the ZNA Potomac had 262 which is one of the bigger ones I've seen. How about the west coast?

ZNA SoCal, I think a few years back they did 401 koi, but I believe in the 70's and 80's they were pushing 1000+ fish entered at the show....

Southern California ZNA and the Koi Club of San Diego usually have 200 to 300 koi entered and go over 300 fairly often. Koi shows in America tend to be local club events plus a few entrants from neighboring clubs. Very few hobbyist transport koi for longer than 8 hours to a show. There are likely different opinions but my observation the past few year it seems the biggest shows currently in America are: Central Florida (Orlando), ZNA-Potomac (Virginia), Midwest Pond and Koi(Chicago), San Diego, ZNA-Southern California, and ZNA-Northern California. The numbers shift back and forth with no one show clearly dominating the largest number of koi year after year. There are about 35 koi shows annually with a few new shows emerging and a few shows dropping out of the mix. Most shows have between 100-150 koi and a few smaller shows have less that 100 koi entered. Even "smaller" shows can have fierce competition among some high quality koi for the top awards. While the total numbers of koi entered in shows might be a bit less than 10 years ago the overall quality across all shows has improved. To support their local show 10 years ago hobbyists would bring just about every koi they owned to a show. Today it is more common to see hobbyist bringing fewer but better higher quality koi to shows.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Those in Show Circles know about Louisville and that the Show is held at the Estate of Charles & Carolyn Phelps. We had 179 Last year and was just under that this year. The Phelps have decided that the 20th Show will be the last held at their Estate (). We are planning Big Things for that last Show and have already made contact with other Clubs to get the extra Show Tanks we hope we'll need. 300 to 350 Koi is what I'm hoping for.
    cencalkoi likes this.

I get the excitement over the total number of koi exhibited, but get more excited by the total number of exhibitors. For me a show of 300 koi and 30 exhibitors would be far more exciting than 300 koi and just 20 exhibitors.

At Central Florida Koi Show 2013 we had 31 individuals reserve tanks, and there were 6 or 7 tanks reserved by dealers which contained koi sold or delivered at the show before benching was concluded and entered in the show by their owners. These tanks might contain koi owned by a person who also reserved a tank, or by a person who had not; and might have several persons' new koi from the one dealer in the same tank. Without all the paperwork, I cannot say how many exhibitors there were. I would guess it was over 40, but cannot be sure.
    cencalkoi likes this.

Well our club is small and we are located in Central California, so most have not heard of the Central California Koi Society, but in 2012, we had 22 tanks and over 217 koi entered, not bad for a small club. But I have attended the San Diego Koi Show and the ZNA Norcal koi show, they have alot of koi entered but the focus on those shows are less koi in the tanks, which I have learned that a tank with 3 large beauties swimming around not mixed with smaller koi, makes the tank more eye appealing, so we take two tanks this year at our show and will keep the larger koi seperate from the smaller ones.
    Rosimeri Tran
    CENTRAL CALIFORNIA KOI SOCIETY
    cencalkoi.com

There is so much more to a koi show than just the number of koi exhibited. I have been to over twenty different koi shows in America and some of these many times. Also had opportunity to attend the national shows in Holland, S. Africa, and Brazil, and the Shinkokai and ZNA All Japan Shows 5 times. The most koi I saw at any show was the 2003 All Japan Show which had over 3,000 koi. We love to take the opportunity when going to a koi show where we don't show koi to add on some time to visit the area and get to know another part of America or the world. As time goes on friendships with other koi lovers becomes even more important than the koi. Smaller shows can be just as much fun as larger ones and sometimes even more fun. The Louisville show in the backyard of Charles and Carolyn Phelps feels much like a family reunion and is one of my favorite shows. The Southern California ZNA show will celebrate it's 40th Anniversary next March and has been held every year in the exact same location. Truly living koi show history. Check out some of the early Rinko Magazines and you can see black & white photos of Dr. Kuroke standing on the steps of the Gardena Community Center talking with club members that are still showing koi today. Shows like the Central Florida Koi Show are put together by several area clubs and held in a nice hotel venue near all the Orlando attractions and make for a great vacation for the entire family. The ZNA Potomac show held near our nations capital offers all the historical sights of Washington DC a few miles away. There are great shows in almost every part of America. Want to visit Northern or Central California or San Diego, or Portland, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, Tucson, Denver, Seattle, etc. etc. Almost every non-holiday weekend from late February to early November you can find a koi show somewhere in American. We are blessed with a wonderful hobby and many different location to enjoy koi, koi shows, and koi people. Koi shows are also held all over the world and everyone that I have every visited treated us like family. If you do not have plans ot visit a koi show, what are you waiting for..... GO!!

I think the ZNA SoCal show will have 55 show tanks.

They are expecting to run out before the show.

Participants should think about reserving tanks.

For more information contact:

Chai Taevanitcharoen - Show Chairman
    [email protected]

Judy Hoyer Walker– Club President
    [email protected]

cencalkoi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I think the ZNA SoCal show will have 55 show tanks.

They are expecting to run out before the show.

Participants should think about reserving tanks.

For more information contact:

Chai Taevanitcharoen - Show Chairman
    [email protected]

Judy Hoyer Walker– Club President
    [email protected]

Makes you wonder if they don't set a limit on tanks available how many exhibitors would come. I certainly understand the need to plan ahead and most exhibitors should easily be able to reserve in advance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast