Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What koi shows really need......

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    What koi shows really need........?

Is a savior....Hahaahahahahaha
    It's a bird, its a plane...no its Chuppaman!!
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I am the protector of all Chuppas...hahahahahahaha.....

To be honest with you guys, you should probably ask ZNA SoCal how they have been doing it for the last 40 years...

Tosai
    I believe that a strong volunteer base can only be developed and maintained at a personal level. By this I mean that each volunteer has a motive for helping beyond the simple fact of supporting the club. We have a faithful base of about 25 volunteers who will spend anywhere from 10 to 30 hours helping with our show. We feel blessed, but it doesn't just happen. As show chair for 15 years now (how do I get out of this??) I can say that if the volunteer experience isn't a positive one, consider that volunteer gone next year. It's like a restaurant. I'll try it once, but if it's not good, that's the last time. So we go out of our way to make the experience a pleasant one - give them a special T-shirt, provide plenty of good food, get to know them personally - not just their names, but what they do for a living, where they live. It's much like running a business - if the employees aren't happy, they won't produce for you. They have to LIKE you! (or at the very least, respect you) Beyond that, we have tried to ease the burden of hard labor (i.e. assembling and dis-assembling/cleaning 50 show vats) by hiring 3 temps, whose sole job is the vats. As I know many other clubs do, we end our year with a well-attended volunteer dinner, for all those who have contributed a certain number of hours helping with our various club events. Bryan Bateman

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    So whats your plan? All I need for my show are more volunteers but lets hear your ideas.
    Well Jim since you asked. First thing I'd do is post pictures of the event and winners list. I noticed in your Potomac show thread you had one pic of the trees. No koi, no event pics and no winners list. Seems to me that if you can post a thread promoting the show, you would at least follow up with some pics and winners list at minimum. Maybe a little recognition of the participants and show volunteers. A little recognition goes a long way. It's free, it promotes the show, it builds comradery. Such a little chore can go a long way.

What koi shows really need......

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    ...is more volunteers.
    Not every Koi hobbyist or Koi club is interested in showing Koi.

Some new clubs are very interested in putting on a Koi show.

Some older clubs are interested in maintaining their tradition of having a Koi show.

And some older clubs (one which I am a member) could care less about showing Koi and the club stopped having a Koi show.

I want CFKS to have a volunteer like Dinh to undertake publicity.
    ricshaw likes this.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by bryzkoi View Post
    I believe that a strong volunteer base can only be developed and maintained at a personal level. By this I mean that each volunteer has a motive for helping beyond the simple fact of supporting the club. We have a faithful base of about 25 volunteers who will spend anywhere from 10 to 30 hours helping with our show. We feel blessed, but it doesn't just happen. As show chair for 15 years now (how do I get out of this??) I can say that if the volunteer experience isn't a positive one, consider that volunteer gone next year. It's like a restaurant. I'll try it once, but if it's not good, that's the last time. So we go out of our way to make the experience a pleasant one - give them a special T-shirt, provide plenty of good food, get to know them personally - not just their names, but what they do for a living, where they live. It's much like running a business - if the employees aren't happy, they won't produce for you. They have to LIKE you! (or at the very least, respect you) Beyond that, we have tried to ease the burden of hard labor (i.e. assembling and dis-assembling/cleaning 50 show vats) by hiring 3 temps, whose sole job is the vats. As I know many other clubs do, we end our year with a well-attended volunteer dinner, for all those who have contributed a certain number of hours helping with our various club events. Bryan Bateman
    Excellent post

I also agree with what Bryan has suggested. many times we'll hire high school types raising funds for a trip or good cause to be paid for their efforts. It has helped us with our image in the community to do so.

Bryan's such an enjoyable personality, that I could see how he could EASILY pull off his suggestions. As someone also heavily into theor bonsai club, the same suggestions about really knowing your members and personally asking them to get involved has also been the key, so it's basic to human types

Good thread! This problem of getting more volunteers is not limited to only koi clubs. I help organize health fairs every year and we sometimes have a shortage of people too.

One suggestion for koi shows: Have better foods during the show. Nowaday there are all kinds of food trucks, from sushi to korean tacos to ramen noodles. They would be happy to show up at the event. Call them up. The trucks could even call up their own followers. Volunteers can be given vouchers to eat from the trucks. Show attendees and vendors can also eat there and not have to leave the show. I always bring my wife and kids to the shows but we always have to go out for lunch and then go home afterward. I could never go back to the show after lunch for a second look. The organizers need to examine every aspects of the show and try to improve them. They have to do something different, because it is getting old and tiresome , and it is not attracting new people.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast