Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What koi shows really need......

What koi shows really need......

...is more volunteers.
    cencalkoi likes this.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Ok Jim, I'll bite. How do you get more volunteers?

One of the ideas I thought was neat at the recent Washington Koi and watergarden show clean up crew after, was to treat them to supper .
    A chance to unwind and socialize over a meal...I'm used to seeing a welcoming barbeque on friday night for the set up crew.....
    I also noticed the head judge because of his connecting flight didn't leave till monday morning, great opportunity to have a name drawn to spend some time sunday evening and talk koi.

I think the resources are there it's just a matter of recognizing them.

At Louisville we are playing around with the idea of "Vendor Bucks". For each hour you help setup the Show you get a X amount of Vendor Bucks to spend with a Vendor during the Show. They could be handed out on Friday evening at the Welcome Dinner, I believe the Vendors love the idea.
    cencalkoi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Ok Jim, I'll bite. How do you get more volunteers?
    I wish I knew. I see all these good ideas of things that people want to do at koi shows that will bring more people in to the show itself but then I realize they can't be done because you can't even get enough volunteers to do the normal stuff let alone anything extra. So sadly I think the focus on growing a show should change to growing the volunteer base or growing the coffers to pay for hired help. I think growing the volunteer base is more beneficial to the hobby though.
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Troy, I really like the vendor bucks idea. Thanks for sharing....

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    At Louisville we are playing around with the idea of "Vendor Bucks". For each hour you help setup the Show you get a X amount of Vendor Bucks to spend with a Vendor during the Show. They could be handed out on Friday evening at the Welcome Dinner, I believe the Vendors love the idea.
    What about tear down? Thats our biggest issue.

edit-keeping in mind our teardown is on Monday
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    I wish I knew. I see all these good ideas of things that people want to do at koi shows that will bring more people in to the show itself but then I realize they can't be done because you can't even get enough volunteers to do the normal stuff let alone anything extra. So sadly I think the focus on growing a show should change to growing the volunteer base or growing the coffers to pay for hired help. I think growing the volunteer base is more beneficial to the hobby though.
    Jim, I feel that the show scene needs to be looked at to fit today's climate. The economy is down. The dollar is weak. The koi community his aging and there are more leaving than coming in. In short, the whole dynamic of the koi hobby and koi shows has changed. Look at the technology change. Man, it's a different world than what it was twenty years ago. Yet we still have the same koi show format. What was done in the past worked, but this is no longer true. At this point I'd explore every opportunity to gain momentum and much needed funds. We need to reconsider a change in format. IMO the show scene can do better that what we have. Don't get me wrong, I'm at the shows, everyone here should know that I love the shows.

One of the issues is that we are relying on a volunteer network. Expecting volunteers to run a business is going to end in disappointment. And for those that don't think that the koi show is a business they are wrong. Licenses, insurance, banking, tax paperwork, vendors, sponsors, rentals, rented venue- sure sounds like a business to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Expecting volunteers to run a business is going to end in disappointment. And for those that don't think that the koi show is a business they are wrong. Licenses, insurance, banking, tax paperwork, vendors, sponsors, rentals, rented venue- sure sounds like a business to me!
    Yes, but it is business that does not make a profit.... just some surplus funds on occasion that calculate out to be less than minimum wage for the volunteer hours put in. Outside the U.S., breeders and dealers are much more supportive of shows, recognizing that shows grow their market. And, exhibitors elsewhere are not so sensitive to entry fees. We get by, but could never imagine routinely giving away flat screen TVs, motorcycles, boats and other costly items as prizes. The hobby in the U.S. is not based on owners stabling their koi with dealers and breeders who perform the role of a trainer in horseracing. There is however, 'profit' of a different sort in joining together with others to make a show a success.

My club hires temps to assist in setup and breakdown. It's cheaper than buying dinners at the end when everyone's beat and eager to get home, anyway.

Mike, can we help vendors here to recognize that the shows are how to expand their customer bases? What do we need to change in the format to become more welcoming to vendor support? I think that the time to act is now, before we lose any more ground. Sure, changes will not be instantly successful. Perseverance can pay large dividends, though.

How much is the success of this hobby worth to you? To any of us? We spend a lot of money on our own ponds and fish, but perhaps we should first consider securing shows as lasting ways to expand the hobby before we consider getting the next exciting new thing. Is buying and carefully raising high quality koi reward enough if the shows fail? If we need the shows, and I think we do, we need to worry more about building the hobby and shows so that they are here for the next generation than obtaining and keeping beautiful fish that no one will ever see.

I've been adopting this attitude. My pond is a QT, and will stay that way for a while yet. My meager money is going to attend and volunteer at shows, to help other koi keepers to get to shows, whatever I can do to build the hobby and shows. To me, there's no reason to buy and maintain a Mercedes if the roads suck. Gotta fix the roads first.
    Will Schultze
    (931) 338-6174

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast