Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: introduction to airlift pump

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Now that we got the hole size, how many holes? Got to get that right since it would be hard to add more holes. Glued in by then with PVC cement.
    Top video says 3 or 4 lines. Not sure why you couldn't test run it before you glued it up solid.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Top video says 3 or 4 lines. Not sure why you couldn't test run it before you glued it up solid.
    Maybe I could. But there could be leaks. I guess putting some Teflon should take care of that. I suppose the spacing is as close as possible without being too close for comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Now that we got the hole size, how many holes? Got to get that right since it would be hard to add more holes. Glued in by then with PVC cement.
    I think you are over thinking this and if you really plan on building an air lift pump like this you need to experiment.

I have pictures of this type of air lift with 3 rows of holes, 4 rows, and many rows of drilled holes.

Small leaks from non-glued fittings is not a big problem.

we see with the experiment with transparent pipes that 3 lines of holes is good because an 4 line do no work with the good air pump, don't forget, the challenge is to use so less possible the consumption

Quote Originally Posted by aquatechnobel View Post
    we see with the experiment with transparent pipes that 3 lines of holes is good because an 4 line do no work with the good air pump, don't forget, the challenge is to use so less possible the consumption
    Is it the number of lines of holes or the total number of holes that is important?

introduction to airlift pump-airlift_video2a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Is it the number of lines of holes or the total number of holes that is important?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airlift_video2a.jpg 
Views:	1327 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	38576
    Good question.

Am finding that if you want to just build an airlift that works to your satisfaction, we go on an existing blueprint and not alter it. We don't know how these holes are spec'd to a tee, so it's a fair ask. So far, what's shown has been based on a 1.65 m height for the 110mm o.d. collecter, with no lift above surface, with two tees to release air and to skim protein before water gets released. I think the air pump is a good quality such as Hi-Blow rated at 20w, which gives a flow rate of somewhere around 10,000 lt/hr. (have to check as Patrick answered that somewhere).

Any change in specs and all bets are off since I'm finding out that the airlift is very sensitive to change in parameter. One minute you have a terrific flow, and the next it becomes a trickle because someone changed something.

I couldn't follow the 1.65m height for practical considerations, so my only option left is, as Rick said, to do trial and error.

I only have a 1.1m height to work with. Just have to figure out where to begin tinkering.

Good question.

Am finding that if you want to just build an airlift that works to your satisfaction, we go on an existing blueprint and not alter it. We don't know how these holes are spec'd to a tee, so it's a fair ask. So far, what's shown has been based on a 1.65 m height for the 110mm o.d. collecter, with no lift above surface, with two tees to release air and to skim protein before water gets released. I think the air pump is a good quality such as Hi-Blow rated at 20w, which gives a flow rate of somewhere around 10,000 lt/hr. (have to check as Patrick answered that somewhere).

yes that's it

Any change in specs and all bets are off since I'm finding out that the airlift is very sensitive to change in parameter. One minute you have a terrific flow, and the next it becomes a trickle because someone changed something.

I couldn't follow the 1.65m height for practical considerations, so my only option left is, as Rick said, to do trial and error.

I only have a 1.1m height to work with. Just have to figure out where to begin tinkering.

No prob with 1.1m you lost some flow, with all ok maybe you will run with 8.000L/h of flow

The best for the compression part is to make holes of .05mm in tree lines with the holes that shift, look good the picture with the paper on it

Thanks Patrick. I feel a lot more at ease now getting a better grasp of the likelihood of success making an airlift and using it on my pond.

Just to clarify, did you mean .5mm holes instead of .05 mm? So I would make 3 rows of such holes that are staggered, pardon my rephrasing.

I took some baby steps this week making an airlift for my 75 gallon aquarium. Used a 1 1/4" diameter pressure PVC pipe of 1.5 ft height. Had three rows of holes spaced about 1/8" apart using #78 drill bits to bore the tiny holes, which are roughly about 0.4mm.

It was a good learning experience. It turned out easier than I thought, improvising as I went along the process. I drew the 3 rows around the circumference with a sharp pick and dug a groove for each row with a small file, to use as guide. Using a masking tape wrapped around the pipe with 1/8" gradations to serve again as guide, I punched the surface of each hole-to-be. The punch made it easy to drill each hole. Since I didn't have a drill press nor a handy dremel, I had to use my electric drill. A collet had to be fastened to hold on to the small drill bit. And I had to break off part of the drill stem, to keep the bit from wobbling and breaking off.

It was almost perfect. I say almost because Imade a mistake in aligning the pipe to the rings that seal off the pressure chamber, and 1 row of holes got sealed off. Still, there was good flow, although I imagine it would have been a stronger flow had I ended up with three rows instead of just two.

Next is to see what I can do on my pond with an airlift. No. 1 on my list is to test replacing my bottom Matala diffuser, which sits not on the pond bottom center but on the bottom side. A benefit I could see is that I could direct the flow to help the directioinal of flow of my tpr, improving circulation. Secondly, it would increase the visibility of my koi, as the radial ripple from the diffuser would be eliminated. Since the height is limited to 4 feet (1.2m), I'm thinking if I could compensate for the lack of depth with an additional row, using 4 instead of 3, in the pressure chamber. While using a 4" diameter sanitary PVC pipe. What do you think, Patrick, Rick, Tim?

yes why not, all the test are welcome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast