Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: introduction to airlift pump

Alright, I just figured out how to show it to you, so you can see how it run with and without the airlift. I will need to lower my water level and dismantle the top portion of the standpipe then run the system with and without the air pump. Wait for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by aquatechnobel View Post
    yes why not, all the test are welcome
    I'll give it a try. May even make the pressure chamber a detachable part, so I can try different designs to arrive at a suitable one. Wish I have a Unimat lathe around:-)

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I think you need to post some pictures! Please.
    I'll get with it. I'll show it used it in the aquarium, with some lift to transport water to the trickle filter, and to my emptied plant filter, but water flowing out at surface level. Luckily, the same setup can be used in both instances, give or take a few attachments. I just had to charge my camera battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    I think Patrick sums it up best with testing. Airlift applications to ponds is still in it's infancy. Much less in aquaria. At this point I'd consider any success a victory and continue to make improvements with testing and just plain old trial and error. Post pics along the way. Gives a better visual and less typing! I like that you're keeping it small and using cheaper parts... It'll get you acquainted with the design and fundamentals necessary for larger scale projects.

Sorry I'm of no help... I haven't gained enough courage to try experimenting with airlifts. Plus I'm generally lazy and usually wait til others figure it out and I just copy them!

Good luck!
    Says the guy with the YouTube videos:-)

Airlift used in 75-gallon aquarium:

introduction to airlift pump-p1020727.jpgintroduction to airlift pump-p1020729.jpgintroduction to airlift pump-p1020723.jpgintroduction to airlift pump-p1020725.jpgintroduction to airlift pump-p1020726.jpgintroduction to airlift pump-p1020732.jpgintroduction to airlift pump-p1020733.jpg

Flow rate as measured is 600 liter/hour on 45 cm of head. I could not determine the amount of air nor wattage used, since I am pulling air from a shared air piping system supplied by a resun lp-100, which supplies air to my bio-filters and my pond. I can't show the holes I drilled for the pressure chamber. The pipe is a nominal 1 1/4" pvc pressure pipe (35mm). The pvc rings to seal off the pressure chamber are cut from 1 1/4" pvc coupling, and the outer housing for the chamber is nominal 1 1/2" coupling. In order for the rings to slip inside the housing, I had to use a sander to sand off the outer surface of the rings to fit inside the housing. Using a lathe to shave off some thickness would make a better fit though.

Thanks!

Cool colored PVC in Philippines.

Same airlift used in the small veggie filter (no veggies though) beside the main pond:

introduction to airlift pump-p1020731.jpgintroduction to airlift pump-p1020711.jpgintroduction to airlift pump-p1020708.jpgintroduction to airlift pump-p1020717.jpg

First pics shows the pond using an airstone. Note the ripples. Next pic shows the airlift installed with no ripple seen anymore. Third pic is a close-up view, showing the foam in the air outlet. I only installed one, although I frequently see two installed. Last pic shows water flowing out at around surface level. Would like to make a similar but larger lift on the main pond to improve visibility, although I would miss the ripples if I should use an airlift to replace my Matala air diffuser on the main pond. Have heard of an instance when the air was turned off to view the koi and not turned back on due to forgetfulness, and many koi died as a result. With an airlift, air need not be turned off to better view the koi.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Thanks!

Cool colored PVC in Philippines.
    Interesting how colors vary from one country to another. I'd prefer black but I'm not complaining. PVC pipes are like Lego.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience here Aquatechnobel, and thanks to everyone else too. Your post is very helpful. I see that I could tweak my little airlift design a little. Here's what I have been doing in my pond.
    I am using air-lift inside my stand pipes inside my settlement chamber in order to scrub the water and to aerate the water for the filtration tanks. The stand pipes are built using standard material from any hardware store. Just some pvc pipes and glue. I recommend this DIY stand pipe+air lift thing for any ponder with a typical settlement chamber.
    Hi Nguyen,

Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of using an airlift on my SC as well, and yours gives me encouragement. The one I'm planning on also is along the line of filtering solids in the sump. But I want to build a lift with the header at the bottom, with a submergence of 2 meters, and a lift of about 30 cm. Will build a pressure chamber instead of use an air stone, thinking it would be more efficient. And the outflow goes into a filter tray before flowing back into the sump. An added benefit is more aeration of water heading into the biofilters. What I lose is the boost to the flow from the BD to the SC.

I should draw it up and post it later to make it clearer.

Great thread..my new pond in progress will have airlifts from the raceway back to the pond..I have three three inch pipe returns through the raceway wall to attach them to. thay are below water level. I should have this all up and running in the spring. ( my pond is shot creted already but this is my busy season at work and time is an issue right now... but when I get the airlifts running I will post results) the raceway is six feet deep. I was going to try a different method but I am very impressed by this version so I'm going to go with it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234