Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Momotaro food.

using momotaro food

hi everyone

Tewa here, momotaro dealer in aussie, received my shipment of all season momotaro koi food (hi growth plus spirulina). the packaging is great, aluminium bags that can be resealed to be airtight and sealed with nitrogen to ensure freshness. The food smells great. have been feeding it to my kois all the way down to 11 degrees no problems with indigestion. The waste that comes out is very soft and flaky if the water is disturbed it easily breaks apart. The fish are very hungry for it to the point of literally fighting, this could be a combination of soft water and bacteria house just added around the same time. I guess the flaky nature of the waste will ensure that they don't settle in the pipes on the way to the showers. I carried out ann experiment using the same weight of food of a different brand that I previously was feeding and was informed it was of good quality for one day than on another day i used the momotaro food. Besides the obvious difference in colour there was more visible waste that was rather solid in nature in comparison to the momotaro food. I was told by daisuke that the new all season food was great for hobbyist because the amount of spirulina ensured colour development without effecting the shiroji of the skin, great for hobbyist who want to show koi.

tewa

I heard that Momotaro food contains alot of chicken meal, is it true? There alot of good reviews for the food, so does the USDA and FDA think we are goin to eat the koi after we feed it such high protein food.

Also, I figure that if the USDA or FDA can't make some money off these products they just band it.

Jumbo
    Aquitori

Yes I've used it, not extensively nor exhaustively, but 4kg of whiteground which lasted 8 days which at a retail cost of 56 i couldn't really sustain as continued use.

Main observation really was that there was very very little waste product created and what there was was very fine. This compared with Medicarp and Nobori which i'm now mixing 50/50.

The fish took it quite readily, but they'll take anything with considerable relish anyway.

I'd like to conduct a more extensive trial and may well do so when i have less fish and less food requirement thus keeping the financial outlay reasonable.

Mark
    Mark Gardner

The problem I had with Yokozuna and Medicarp was the waste and the secondary hi it produced on my Shiros....Now I am using Hi-Silk and it is cleaning up the secondary hi on my Shiro, almost gone...But, my only worries are that If Momotaro can be band what about Hi-Silk.

hi aquitori

momotaro food doesn't contain chicken meal only fish meal and shrimp meal of the top of my head.

tewa

Really? What is the protein content of the White and the Red Label?

off the top of my head the white part was 52% and the colour up was 36% all season is 39% (tested on jumbo tosais and found to have no reduction in growth)

That is weird...I can get the Momotaro fish and you can't get them. I can't get the food, but you can....conspirecy theory? Well, would you mind sending some FedEx? I emailed Daisuke and he hasn't emailed me back...

Tony,

The Australian gov't bans the import of koi from foreign countries...period. They had some bad luck with import foreign species to kill off rodents, that then outperformed other native species. Seems like they've taken the mindset that importing any non-native species of animal is a bad thing.

I think that's the situation anyway. Can you confirm, Tewa?
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast