Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Visiting Japan, for the first time . The dos and don'ts

Visiting Japan, for the first time . The dos and don'ts

Hi ALL, PEOPLE are mentioning trips to Japan, Are there any tips that you can pass on to ones who are planning a trip.
    things like costs ! of the Koi, vet fees, transportation, PAPERWORK !!!!!

I AM CERTAIN many of these are common to all of us, but somehow we manage to forget that the cost of the Koi is only the start of laying out our hard earned !!
    For a first time trip, I would recommend going with a guided group tour. Introduction to a breeder , by an established buyer /dealer can save many years and I do mean years of building trust, both ways.

The Koi breeders I have dealt with have all, without exception been 100% honest , truthful and upfront.
    Sadly Japanese Koi DEALERS ARE ANOTHER THING ALTOGETHER.

I WOULD ALWAYS , ask the breeder his opinion about how he thinks a Koi will grow.
    You will be very surprised at how honest and straight forward the reply is.

Honour and respect is VERY VERY IMPORTANT, no more than that, essential to fundamental Japanese life.
    By telling a breeder that you trust their guidance, you have placed them in a position where they can not mislead you .

The costs for a Koi, being transporting is normally not viable , hence groups buy and ship there Koi together, saving many $ .

Hope this helps to start

Brian

The best advice I can offer is NOT to go to japan with a set must have variety in mind! Like any vegetable or fruit crops, koi have good years and bad.
    Sometimes the numbers created are good and sometimes they are diminished, making selection and costs more limiting. Go with the idea that you want to find the best available gosanke or kawarigoi. this way you won't be disappointed.

Yes Dick I would go with that. Very much like shopping for food, go see what is good, then put together a meal.
    Come back with some Koi, that you can sell on or keep. Do not be rushed, take your time.
    Well known breeders koi will always ( normally ) sell. LESER breeders are good as keepers, as they tend to be cheaper.
    Work with others in your group to get prices down. Ask for prices for individual Koi, then 10, that you choose.

Smile and hand out compliments ,re his Koi.

Brian

Sansai
    We have visited Japan over the years and I would say the single most important advice is to create a relationship with the breeder you are visiting. This takes a little time but the rewards will be very helpful with choosing the koi of your liking. Most breeders will attempt to find you the best koi that your koi budget will allow. We have found breeders are very honest and hard working people that want their koi to go to good homes. Another bit of advice, bring all the stats of your pond with you, pictures and equipment, size of pond, etc. Once the breeder can see your ready for some nice koi the will offer you the best your budget can handle.

Let your Eyes adjust to the Quality, "Try" not to buy anything the first day or two of your visit.
    cencalkoi likes this.

Troy, good advice, but then I can attest in my early visits, there were times early on that I held off and did not buy what i wanted and when i went back they were gone. ( darned if you don't or do)

Also from simply a human person to person point of view, learn a few words in japanese. Anyone appreciates the effort that was made to do so.
    cencalkoi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Troy, good advice, but then I can attest in my early visits, there were times early on that I held off and did not buy what i wanted and when i went back they were gone. ( darned if you don't or do)

Also from simply a human person to person point of view, learn a few words in japanese. Anyone appreciates the effort that was made to do so.
    I would suggest this for the First Timer, as the Thread stated. Probably not as big a deal for the Repeater Hobbyist.

for example....ee-kura-deska? (how much does it cost) when told grab your purse or wallet and fake real pain while repeating in a loud voice
    EE-tie-yoh ( it hurts )
    cencalkoi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    for example....ee-kura-deska? (how much does it cost) when told grab your purse or wallet and fake real pain while repeating in a loud voice
    EE-tie-yoh ( it hurts )
    Dick , they must love you in Japan ! Bet they think you are a MOVIE STAR !!!
    Do agree with the learn some Japanese, this is the same for every where you travel .
    Explain that your Japanese is limited , I am the buy the koi when you see it, pay too much, but get the koi !!

Brian

Having lived in Japan for several years, it is very important to not be over eager or want to rush through everything as fast as you can because you want to visit as many places while you are there. Suggest to pick 2-3 farms to spend the whole day at and START to establish a relationship with. Take omiyage (small gift from your hometown) to each of the places you visit. They will appreciate that you took time to think about them before making your journey to Japan. Talk normally and softly, don't be too loud and limit heavy body movements when conversing, they find it strange. The Japanese people (especially in the country) are very mild mannered, humble and deliberate in their daily routines. They work hard for their customers and have the generations to prove their undying sacrifice and commitment to their craft (ANY craft). Japan is rich in its culture and still very old-fashioned in doing business. Although I have not dealt with koi breeders themselves, I would think that their are similarities with other business folks, farmers, and service oriented trades. The Japanese take a lot of pride in what they do. They will never admit it, but they really try to do the best at everything they do. Even when it comes to pricing, they take great pride in offering their products at what they feel is a fair price. The Japanese become uncomfortable when going against "their grain". As a whole, the Japanese are very conforming and polite to the extent that it IS uncomfortable for all. Listen to the silence...(if no eye contact) it means they are uncomfortable

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast