Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sakai FF Auction

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Anyone up for a game? If you bought a tosai recently from SFF, and it's now nisai, post up its pic and let us know whom you think its mama is, judging from its similarity to a koi here.

definetely like sanke #100. Nice balanced sumi

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Your momontaro looked like that fish dick was talking to my dealer and wanted to bid on 116 and 73 but we figured they were going to go for we'll a lot need less to say I had to ask my self what my goals are and they weren't years out.so regroup pull my head out stay strong love that 116 it's soooo clean.im going over in nov I only need a tank buddy for my big kohaku,

Sansai
    We were figuring the low end of just a one in five chane of getting 73 after commission and boarding and all other costs. And my stomach was upset remember the follow your gut instinct .anyway headed out for Oregon koi show so happy bidding

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Looks really good Dick. Offsprings of Sapphire no doubt have broad shoulders. How would you describe the body, especially in terms of bloodline. Have heard you mention jinbei line describing sanke before, but jinbei doesn't fit these koi, right?

Sakai FF Auction-184njdsc_0840-55m.jpg#184 looks very interesting, seemingly having lost a lot of beni on head but on its body appears to be forming a striking balance of colors with large patterns. IF the sumi continues to work its way up and fills the void left by the receded beni, that would complete the balance. Somehow, though, it's lacking power, yet.

Will broader shoulders develop later? Perhaps not, imho. It seems to me that a powerful shoulder involves sizable height, which it lacks and cannot develop later on. Closer inspection needed.

Note also the beni edges right of the dorsal and left of shoulder, near the lateral line. They are white areas which seem to indicate beni breaking up.

What do you think?

SFF is certainly coming on strong with Sanke. The number of fine examples has increased. The predominance of Kohaku is to be expected. SFF dominates with Kohaku. The mere handful of Showa is surprising. There are more Tancho.

I do wish there were more videos, although in many the fish are so subdued I'm wondering if a sedative was administered.

With over 300 being auctioned, there must be quite a crowd of dealers anticipated. Does anyone know the number of dealers typically at SFF auctions?

I must say I do like 302. This koi exhibits a nice body line with out the extra fat that some of the other 3 year olds are showing. The pattern is dynamic with out being too wild.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    SFF is certainly coming on strong with Sanke. The number of fine examples has increased. The predominance of Kohaku is to be expected. SFF dominates with Kohaku. The mere handful of Showa is surprising. There are more Tancho.

I do wish there were more videos, although in many the fish are so subdued I'm wondering if a sedative was administered.

With over 300 being auctioned, there must be quite a crowd of dealers anticipated. Does anyone know the number of dealers typically at SFF auctions?
    Mike,

Typically the Sakai Auction is attended by about 80 or 90 dealers who come from all over the world. Attendance is by invitation only and is limited to koi breeders and dealers.

Because Sakai likes to let their nisai grow until the last minute, they do not post photos until just a few days before the auction, and you are right, all koi are slightly sedated before photographing. This makes them easier to handle and less likely to injure themselves with a sudden burst of energy.

Joel B.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast