Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best and worst marketed and/or customary pond treatments

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    You can make a paste with any bottled bio, PP, Sludge Remover and barley extract. It will not only grow hair on concrete but your head too! Have read some good things about EA's Pure Pond kinda help clear/polish your water but never used it myself.
    I would like to see the manufacturers test their products with measurable/verifiable outcomes and publish it through something like videos. Of course it would be easy for them to cheat.
    Dan
    University of Nevada FritzZyme Study <-- click on link

"The University of Nevada, Las Vegas recently conducted a study to determine the species and viability of the nitrifying bacteria in Fritz’s freshwater nitrifying bacteria product. They confirmed the activity of nitrifying bacteria based on ammonia and nitrite oxidation. Sequencing data showed the presence of Ammonia-oxidizing and Nitrite-Oxidizing bacteria in FritzzymeA study by the University of Nevada, Las Vegas recently conducted a study to determine the species and viability of the nitrifying bacteria in Fritz’s freshwater nitrifying bacteria product. They confirmed the activity of nitrifying bacteria based on ammonia and nitrite oxidation. Sequencing data showed the presence of Ammonia-oxidizing and Nitrite-Oxidizing bacteria in Fritzzyme"

[QUOTE ricshaw;210564]University of Nevada FritzZyme Study <-- click on link

"The University of Nevada, Las Vegas recently conducted a study to determine the species and viability of the nitrifying bacteria in Fritz’s freshwater nitrifying bacteria product. They confirmed the activity of nitrifying bacteria based on ammonia and nitrite oxidation. Sequencing data showed the presence of Ammonia-oxidizing and Nitrite-Oxidizing bacteria in FritzzymeA study by the University of Nevada, Las Vegas recently conducted a study to determine the species and viability of the nitrifying bacteria in Fritz’s freshwater nitrifying bacteria product. They confirmed the activity of nitrifying bacteria based on ammonia and nitrite oxidation. Sequencing data showed the presence of Ammonia-oxidizing and Nitrite-Oxidizing bacteria in Fritzzyme"
    [/QUOTE]
    Is this the product that has to be refrigerated? I read somewhere, there was only one legitimate bottled bio and it came packed in ice packs.
    *edit addition* one gallon($49.99) treats 640 gallons... @ nine gallons needed for a 6000 gallon pond... roughly $450.00 for my pond... if the stuff works it would be worth it in the event of a total loss of bio... chloram-x, Hikari Ultimate or Fritz ACCR would cost a lot more if you relied on one, solely, while your filter cycled and you were stuck with a pond full of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    Is this the product that has to be refrigerated? I read somewhere, there was only one legitimate bottled bio and it came packed in ice packs.
    Yes. I have heard of two "legitimate" products. Can't remember the other's name.

Direct Link to Fritz-Zyme Independent Studies.

The synopsis on the Texas study states "there was a significant reduction in ammonia and nitrite, allowing for increased production with less water exchange"
    Interesting. But, so many variables come to mind when considering their studies and what impact the product would have in a typical Koi pond.

Reading through the website I found a long article at the end by Dr. Erik Johnson about how to use the product. $300 for a gallon (5,000gal of water) would be Cost prohibitive for most.

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    The synopsis on the Texas study states "there was a significant reduction in ammonia and nitrite, allowing for increased production with less water exchange"
    Interesting. But, so many variables come to mind when considering their studies and what impact the product would have in a typical Koi pond.

Reading through the website I found a long article at the end by Dr. Erik Johnson about how to use the product. $300 for a gallon (5,000gal of water) would be Cost prohibitive for most.

Most people don't have $300 worth of fish in their pond let alone a pond full of single fish worth over $300. Benefit begins to outweigh the negative when a single loss outweighs the cost of a treatment that will actually prevent that loss, if and when a loss is highly likely.

That's the normal thought process needed to filter through advertising and make an informed decision ... First, is it either common sense or at least plausible? Are there believable reviews? Are there scientific studies to back up claims? Lastly does the benefit to cost to immediacy of necessity, three way analysis, allow for it?

I agree with the reasoning. It would be an easy decision money wise if it were a typical aquarium. In my case, when I was cycling my pond (6 years ago), it would have cost $1000 for the treatment. Not something I would consider. I have never lost a fish when cycling the old fashioned way. Just try to manage the process the best I can.

Dan

Nisai
    If a pond is well set up, good filtration & aeration and water monitored; all you really need is water conditioner if you have chlorine/chloramines in your water, good food, regular maintenance and for emergencies, have salt on hand. I maintain ponds and use no algaecides or chems aside from those above. Fish should be properly quarantined prior to being introduced in a pond and the rest should take care of itself. As far as bacteria, I use Fritz turbo when starting up a system which is mixed with buttermilk. I cycle a pond in less than 2 weeks that way and have had no issues when introducing fish into the pond.
    I have had my fish for 30 + yrs and keep it simple. I have no UV on my pond or any clients, I think it is the worst invention ever as it is obvious to me that makers & sellers of such product have never looked at a drop of water under microscope and have no idea that the essential micro-organisms are being nuked, as a result; the pond balance is never right regardless of filter type. My 2 cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12