Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 21st Annual Texas Koi & Fancy Goldfish Society - ZNA Show - October 12-13, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by azngopher View Post
    If you purchased in July 2012, that was its nisai year. Your koi is now considered sansai or having had 3 summers.

Good growth! Keep up the good work. We need more hobbyist like you.
    If it was 6" in July 2012, when eould it have been born?

Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    If it was 6" in July 2012, when eould it have been born?
    Late spawn in 2011 or regular spawn in May/June and just wasn't given the opportunity to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by azngopher View Post
    Late spawn in 2011 or regular spawn in May/June and just wasn't given the opportunity to grow.
    Ok... for some reason, I thought it would have been younger at 6". Anyhow, she shows no sign of letting up on growth. She was dull at first and for a while, but really shines now. This one is definitely improving all the time, as are most of my fish. Skin quality really "popped" just in time for this show. They weren't quite as good in dallas, for some reason. Only difference has been much cooler water.

Good job Ryan! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    Only difference has been much cooler water.
    That can make a big difference.

Great show as always, but it looks like less hobbyists are showing koi now. What a bummer.

Between the weather, tx-ou and ACL, I think a few people had other things to do. Also, I think this show and most shows need more public awareness. Maybe some advertising outside the koi community to bolster awareness. I'm sure if more people had access to view quality, large koi, more people would get interested in the hobby. Interest begins with exposure. I'd love to see a show in austin with appropriate marketing and in a central location, like Zilker Park. I'm sure it would go a long way towards motivating people here to get into koi. Austin has the money just not the exposure. Water Garden Gems is a great place, but it is not conducive for a potential new hobbyist to get exposure. It's a little too far away. It's always nice to have shows where people can accidentally happen upon them. It's also nice to have a shows close enough to where people live that a family can hear about it and spontaneously decide to go despite having never been to a show before. I'm not saying don't do the show at water garden gems. I'm thinking central texas needs one more or more than one more, show.
    I think one option would be "reach out" shows. An actual koi show held in a city center with the idea and purpose of exposing the general public to high quality koi. Sort of a traveling show. Have it in various locations. Maybe take out an ad in a local alternative paper, like our Austin Chronicle and also do a flyer campaign of sorts. Put out an open invitation for people to bring their favorite koi and goldfish.
    Had I been exposed earlier I would have gotten into koi many years ago. It would also go a long way toward showing folks, due to fish size, why a 300gallon water garden isn't conducive to raising koi. This would prevent heartache and a loss of interest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234