Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dick benbow

Thread: The one vs the many

The one vs the many

In the beginning we saw a pond filled with many beautiful fish....and it was amazing. So as the beginner learns about koi one of the many common ideas is the need to own one of each variety. Then as we progress through the hobby we invariably learn that one of each looks pretty crappy in your pond as we view it in its entirety. So then we start to narrow our focus. Many will hone in on the gosankes and from there maybe pick kohaku as a favorite. The focus then becomes the individual koi instead of just the variety. Who bred it, who were the parents, when will it be ready for show etc. At some point when you look at your pond what you see is not a bunch of fish but a collection of koi each with a deep and rich history. Each koi having its own unique back story of how it journeyed to your pond, how its grown, how its developed, the awards it may have won along the way. Can we then ever step back and a view a pond the way we once did as an overall appearance? Or will we always focus on each individual koi?

Or maybe none of you do this at all and I'm just odd....

For me I cannot look at the overall appearance of MY pond. Can't do it. All I see is each koi. When I visit someone elses pond I see the overall effect for only moments before I start zeroing in on the individual koi. The only time I don't zero in on each individual koi is when its a photo of a pond (Thank you Nichrin for that one "Glory Pond" photo in every issue ).
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I'm aware of the overall look of a pond and it tells me a lot about the owner. many is the time I walk into a gosanke pond and get left wanting to see
    something yellow or gold and something blue to balance the present red,white and black colors. But really, it's the owner's call on what they like and makes them happy.

Another thing I notice in a gosanke pond that leaves me cold is numbers of the same color variety with the same number of steps. My personal thought is if you like kohaku, have different patterns not all the same 3 steps.

A "look" of a pond is always better with close to the same sized koi as opposed to a pond with mixed sizes of one thru 7. mature koi in a matured landscape pond has a certain ambience that puts the "glory" in it.....
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    A "look" of a pond is always better with close to the same sized koi as opposed to a pond with mixed sizes of one thru 7. mature koi in a matured landscape pond has a certain ambience that puts the "glory" in it.....
    *ditto*
    Thinking back on ponds I've seen, it's that balance of size and types that I've liked most. Not all of one type, but a variety with a leaning towards the favorite. The favorite standing out aside other varieties that behave like artistic accents. I can picture four kohaku, two very different showa, a couple sanke, maybe one a tancho sanke in a tank with one each of a few different other varieties, for example.

What leaves me cold is seeing a Koi collection with no gosanke Koi.

The exception is a Koi collection with a theme like metallics only or all Gin Rin, butterfly, etc.

The look of a Koi collection is always better with a majority of gosanke.

It's always neat to see progression in any hobby. Koi is the same... We start of in wonder and curiosity and over time we gain a appetite that can't be satisfied... We continue to seek out other koi in attempt to quench a thirst... but it never gets quenched. Sometimes we even get more parched looking for it....

Think about this- every koi gets picked. Someone found something in each koi that made them want 'that' one. One of the beauties of this hobby is that there is no right or wrong way to select koi. It's whatever you like.

I tend to browse a new pond over looking at the koi. When I get tired I like filtration. Sometimes I get tired of the koi quickly and that indicates a low quality stocking of koi. I'm not a big fan of peripheral crap- like rock work, landscaping and lighting.... Sure I appreciate a good looking koi pond- but I like koi. The Koi is primary, the filtration secondary and the other stuff is just other stuff. I just assume stare at a quality plumbing and filtration set-up than look at rock work and landscaping...

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    It's always neat to see progression in any hobby. Koi is the same... We start of in wonder and curiosity and over time we gain a appetite that can't be satisfied... We continue to seek out other koi in attempt to quench a thirst... but it never gets quenched. Sometimes we even get more parched looking for it....

Think about this- every koi gets picked. Someone found something in each koi that made them want 'that' one. One of the beauties of this hobby is that there is no right or wrong way to select koi. It's whatever you like.

I tend to browse a new pond over looking at the koi. When I get tired I like filtration. Sometimes I get tired of the koi quickly and that indicates a low quality stocking of koi. I'm not a big fan of peripheral crap- like rock work, landscaping and lighting.... Sure I appreciate a good looking koi pond- but I like koi. The Koi is primary, the filtration secondary and the other stuff is just other stuff. I just assume stare at a quality plumbing and filtration set-up than look at rock work and landscaping...
    My plumbing is a functional mess! Enjoy my vinca after the koi bore you... trust me

Interesting perspective, Jim. I had not thought of it in quite that way, but your are correct. The koi are the center, not an addition to the scene. ...perhaps that's why I sometimes feel I'm keeping an 'old folks home' for koi.