Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeM

Thread: My first shimi!

My first shimi!

When catching koi today to put in my stock tank, I saw a shimi on one of my best kohaku. My first shimi. I know its small and not at all noticeable in the pond, but it bugged me. Are they permanent? I may cut it off after the show. I read they are very shallow and don't even require the removal of the whole scale. It may be a bit anal of me but it really bugged me...lol

Shimmi come in many forms from very superficial on top of the scale and easy to remove to very deep and located in the scale and deep within the skin layer underneath. They can also go away if you are very lucky. Many a good kohaku has be made worse by removing shimmi on the red pattern leaving a scar worse than the shimmi. I suggest unless very superficial on top of the scale and easy to remove you wait until next summer to see if anymore pop up or it goes away on it's own.

I would consider removal if you were taking it to a show. Otherwise, you do not notice it in the pond, so do not take a risk of injury.

I have pretty much given up on Kohaku. They all seem to end up with shimmies in my pond. I have one sansai Kohaku with no shimmies that I've raised from tosai. We'll see how long she can go before a black speck shows up. My largest Kohaku (Maruyama-bred) has had awful brown blotches develop on her face and black shimmies elsewhere. These prevented her from ever being shown. She has now passed her peak. This summer, the blemishes have largely gone away. Just a couple of specks remain. If all cleared up, she might compete for jumbo, although her figure is not what it once was. In the past I said I'd not get any more Kohaku. I gave in to temptation when I got the tosai Kohaku two seasons ago. I almost gave in again when I saw some of the nice Kohaku that came out of the mud at Quality Koi/Nisei Koi Farm last weekend. But, I made myself focus on only Showa, Sanke and Utsuri. There is nothing like Kohaku, however, to brighten a pond. And, Kohaku gives a leg up in the show ring, too.
    ricshaw likes this.

This is a Maruyama male kohaku and is quite nice. The only flaw is the beni on his back goes all the way up through his dorsal fin. The shimi wasn't there at the Dallas show. I took it to the show this weekend anyhow. I have a nice gin ring kohaku that got a cut on his head somehow. It's still healing. I think a bird tried to get it. I also have two Purdin tosai kohaku. I have high hopes for at least one of the Purdin.
    I'll look at it closer after the show. I'm not scared to try to shave it a bit, but I wouldn't try anything more harsh than that.

I've read up on this more. Apparently, if it's shallow and in the center of a scale you can use a dental scraper on it. It'll grow back merely a slightly lighter shade of red. If you lose the edge of the scale, the whole scale or scrape too deep, it's likely to turn white. For one or two shimis on a nice, show worthy, kohaku, I think it's worth a try. The trick seems to be, is to know when to stop. I ordered a dental sceaper for $6.00.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I would consider removal if you were taking it to a show. Otherwise, you do not notice it in the pond, so do not take a risk of injury.

I have pretty much given up on Kohaku. They all seem to end up with shimmies in my pond. I have one sansai Kohaku with no shimmies that I've raised from tosai. We'll see how long she can go before a black speck shows up. My largest Kohaku (Maruyama-bred) has had awful brown blotches develop on her face and black shimmies elsewhere. These prevented her from ever being shown. She has now passed her peak. This summer, the blemishes have largely gone away. Just a couple of specks remain. If all cleared up, she might compete for jumbo, although her figure is not what it once was. In the past I said I'd not get any more Kohaku. I gave in to temptation when I got the tosai Kohaku two seasons ago. I almost gave in again when I saw some of the nice Kohaku that came out of the mud at Quality Koi/Nisei Koi Farm last weekend. But, I made myself focus on only Showa, Sanke and Utsuri. There is nothing like Kohaku, however, to brighten a pond. And, Kohaku gives a leg up in the show ring, too.
    I pretty much agree with Mike. I do much better now by mostly getting sanke and showa. Shimmy removal can be very simple or very complicated. It all depends on the age and benni type of the kohaku. I found that by taking all the oyster shells out of my pond and using an artifcial ph buffer I've significantly reduced the risks of getting shimmies. But this is only season two on this therory and of course I need to test it over a longer period. The other issue I've found is that sanke and kohaku are being cross bred a lot these days. So often my question is...is it a shimmy or actual sumi comming up?

I had Andy Moo look at it today. He said it looks shallow and should be an easy fix. I'm fairly certain that it is right at one year old. I have a certificate for it... I need to look. Anyway, I'm waiting until spring. It'll have a better chance of fighting off any bad bugs.