Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Momotaro Auction November 19, 2013

Nisai
    Technically, I think you will find that Tosai translates from the Japanese language as meaning "in it`s first year".

We then have Nisai - in it`s second year, Sansai - in it`s third year, Yonsai - in it`s fourth year, and Gosai - in it`s fifth year. Timings all starting from the day of spawning.

Chris

Thanks. "2yr" means nisai because it's on its 2nd year, and not 2 years old (as in past its 2nd birthday).

More koi have been added to the auction, from the same female parents. The result is that the numbers have changed. I had taken a break Friday from studying the body forms of the Mako Showa compared to the Mako-Shiro Showa, came back today to find my notes are useless.

The Tancho Showa added are nice.

I find the male kois seriously impressive in this batch and I particularly like No.8

Sansai
    WOW, those fish are amazingly gorgeous!!! THanks for sharing Mike!
    Question though.... sorry if it's a dumb question. But in all the pictures the fish look like backyard koi, then in the video their orange color (in the picture) is vibrant red? And the white, OH and the BLACK! My girlfriend and I were looking around in those videos... I told her get a GOOD loook as we will NEVER have any fish that nice in our pond haha But My question would be why do they look so much better and colorful in the videos VS. the pictures off to the left?
    -Mike

I have spent far too much time studying the range of body forms to be found among the Mako Showa and Shiro Showa x Mako Showa nisai. (I got diverted by the wide range of pectoral fin types along the way. A couple of wonderful Showa are ruined in my eyes by their pectorals.) I am really impressed by the direction Maeda is going with the Shiro x Mako group. These are overall smaller than the Mako group, but I do not know if they were an early or late spawning. The Mako group is likely from the second round of 2012 spawnings, which I believe took place in May, 2012. The Shiro x Mako group might be from as late as a July 2012 spawning. The body forms in each group vary. The trending seems to be for the Shiro x Mako group to have a more Sanke-like body, more reminiscent of Matsunosuke Sanke than traditional Showa. Traditionalists will not be happy. I find it exciting.

If you are interested in such things, check out the Shiro x Mako Showa numbers 93, 94, 96 and 100. Then look at #95 and how her height creates a hump impression on a long, narrow body (compared to traditional Showa). I also get the sense that the movement of these Showa in the bowl has a 'stiffness' similar to how Sanke with a strong dose of Matsunosuke tend to move. ...I know, 'stiffness' is not a good term to use, but it is the only word that comes to mind in trying to voice what I see.

Too 'koi nerd' for most folks, but all can enjoy the beautiful shiroji these Showa have.

Once again, I find myself wishing there was a way to track these koi and see their progress over a period of years. Buying even one at the auction would be a budget buster, I'm sure. Getting 5 would be pure day dream. (Besides, I've no room for more koi.)

BTW, if you study the 5 Shiro x Mako Showa I mentioned, note that the Beni of #95 is wholly different from what we normally see in Maeda's Showa.

...It reminds me of the Beni on a Nisei Koi Farm Sanke that was traded back after the Beni kept spreading. Not as intense as the NKF had, perhaps, but similar appearance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12