Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ZNA shiro study at Quality Koi

Thanks for the tips, Dick. It sure helps to have them to increase my batting averages, if and when I should make another attempt at picking one from a pool of tosai. Still, the relative unpredictability of a shiro makes its development one where surprises lie in store. An unappreciated ugly duckling could blossom while a much admired shiro with strong expectations could shirk and sink hearts.

My one shiro started out bozu but now has sumi emerging at its nose at the lateral half where sumi is lacking and gives me much hope. But I am resigned to accepting that a red eye may never go away.

funny you'd mention red in the eye. the nicest patterned and quality fish I ever saw was an SU with red eyes. At the time i couldn't see past it and if i saw the same fish today I'd have to have it. back then I was more into pattern, today I'll take quality every time.

That gives me great comfort and encouragement Dick. Did the red eye add to the overall quality or was the SU so well developed and beautiful that the red eye hardly mattered?

I bought a 10" tosai Shiro from Eastern in May of 2013 and she is now (guessing) about 24". It's normal for them to grow that big in a short time and it's a sign that this one will get really big ?

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom View Post
    I bought a 10" tosai Shiro from Eastern in May of 2013 and she is now (guessing) about 24". It's normal for them to grow that big in a short time and it's a sign that this one will get really big ?
    Any koi growing from 10 inches (25cm) to 24 inches (60cm) in six months has to create an impression. I do not think it is normal. It is abnormally good growth. Whether it indicates continued growth to a 'really big' length, I can only guess. Few Shiros grow past 80cm. I've only seen 90cm Shiros in photos. So, the chances of getting a jumbo Shiro are not as good as with some other varieties.

I've had tosai of various types that were very strong growers their second season, but not particularly strong growers thereafter. Males can do extraordinary things growing from tosai to nisai, and then they are pretty much done. Females are an entirely different story. If they remain on the thin side from the growth, I think further significant growth is a real possibility. If they fatten up with eggs, growth slows down considerably. The largest koi I've raised from tosai were all females which initially were not the fastest growers. Males in the same batch of tosai most often faster at first, but as the long growing season in Orlando draws out, the males' growth would slow and the steady, constant growth of the females would result in them being longer.

I'll cross my fingers and hope you get a monster female Shiro.

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom View Post
    That's an incredible growth! Can we get a glimpse of her?

Regards,
    Sunny

what a great way to spend a day! 3 hours each way but well worth the drive to see friends, make new ones, see incredible koi, talk koi with fellow kichis and of course learn about some black and whites!

Mat, Jen and Joe are such great hosts, providing us with this opportunity to experience a pond pull, see how the koi have change from the pictures, selecting thru the variety of options available: sumi up, great body but not much sumi up, great sumi pattern but not the best body of the group. the first koi chosen was in the group of top 5 chosen by Art and Nicole, it was a stunner of a pattern that everyone was in awe with.

when it got down to my selection at 12, my top 5 koi were gone but was a bit surprised that this one wasn't gone yet. it was the last koi pulled after escaping the net on the first pass. while a tad smaller than her sisters, she has a eye catching shoulder with a good (not great) body. hope the sumi looks as nice as some of what i saw on her sisters.

Looks like the pic didn't take....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZNA shiro study at Quality Koi-image.jpg  

This SU highlights what I see as the importance of pattern in Shiro Utsuri. The body may be only 'good but not great'. The fish nonetheless makes an impression due to the pattern. There is something about the stark contrast of black and white seems to make pattern more important to enjoyment of the fish than in Kohaku.

It will be another year or more before we really know how the NKF Shiros develop. So far, I've been impressed by the purity of the shiroji and quality of the sumi. Body issues are common among Shiros. How they hold up as they mature and bulk up is the central question. I'm expecting we will see some very nice ones in U.S. shows in size 5 and smaller over the next couple of years. Sizes 6 and 7 will be more challenging and take longer to know the answer.

Mat posted this video

ZNA Shiro Utsuri 2 weeks after Harvest - YouTube

cant wait to see these again in the spring. They have already changed with more sumi up just 2 wks after the harvest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast