Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: automatic feeders

I have wanted to use an auto-feeder. I haven't out of concern for attracting unwanted critters. Raccoons, squirrels and 'possums manage to get to bird feeders hanging in a tree in the backyard. I figure they would find a way to reach even a hanging auto-feeder. But, I've no doubt that it would be better if the allotted amount of food for a day was spread over multiple feedings.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I have wanted to use an auto-feeder. I haven't out of concern for attracting unwanted critters. Raccoons, squirrels and 'possums manage to get to bird feeders hanging in a tree in the backyard. I figure they would find a way to reach even a hanging auto-feeder. But, I've no doubt that it would be better if the allotted amount of food for a day was spread over multiple feedings.
    Lets discuss this in a another thread it could be interesting.

With the hours I work, there is not enough time to feed the koi so no choice to but to use a feeder. I looked at all the options for a feeder that's available here and tried a few but could not find one to my liking that will feed as much as I want each day and as many times as I wanted so I lugged one back from Japan a few years ago. This is the Fukushin feeder that the koi breeders use for their mudponds.

What do I think of it? I really like it, no way can I grow koi as large as I can without it. To keep the food fresh the max I'll put in is 2 days worth, so I do have to refill it often. One thing that bothers me is that the squirrels like the FD koi food too. The buggers can't open the self locking lid but they sure do try though, there are so many bite marks on the lid that I patch up frequently. I've also trapped over a dozen squirrels that I relocated to another hobbyist pond.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I've also trapped over a dozen squirrels that I relocated to another hobbyist pond.
    So that's where all the little bastards have been coming from. Thanks ol' buddy ol' pal!

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    With the hours I work, there is not enough time to feed the koi so no choice to but to use a feeder. I looked at all the options for a feeder that's available here and tried a few but could not find one to my liking that will feed as much as I want each day and as many times as I wanted so I lugged one back from Japan a few years ago. This is the Fukushin feeder that the koi breeders use for their mudponds.

What do I think of it? I really like it, no way can I grow koi as large as I can without it. To keep the food fresh the max I'll put in is 2 days worth, so I do have to refill it often. One thing that bothers me is that the squirrels like the FD koi food too. The buggers can't open the self locking lid but they sure do try though, there are so many bite marks on the lid that I patch up frequently. I've also trapped over a dozen squirrels that I relocated to another hobbyist pond.
    I've read about the fuquren. Have you ever seen it for sale in the United States?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12