Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Culling koi at my house

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Si, how'd the utsuris turn out??? Thanks
    Thanks for asking. The 3 utsuris turned out OK. About 17-18 inch and decent conformation. The shiro utsuri (#4) is the smallest and thinnest of the 3 and a bit yellow and maybe a male. One of them turned out to be a Hi Showa. That was a disappointment. Can you pick out which one? I will submit their pics later this weekend. We could not catch them last time. We only tried to catch the ones we wanted to throw out first. I will submit a few more pics and videos of some other fish in this batch tonight.

Here's #6 (kohaku). It came in at 19 inch (48cm).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Culling koi at my house-image.jpg   Culling koi at my house-image.jpg   Culling koi at my house-image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Si Van Nguyen View Post
    You guys are all very good!!! The #1 ogon is the biggest. It measured at 21 inch (53 cm). It turns out to be a mukashi ogon. That's the same bucket used in the baby picture.
    Wow!!! That's 16in growth in one year...very impressive! Good job! What's in your water? :-) She is going be a monster. Mukashi are considered to be the original ogon. If they are as friendly as chaigoi, I would definitely want to have one for my pond. The matsuba like scales on it's body is very appealing.

Sunny

Here's #6 (kohaku). It came in 19 inch.
    Her body looked terrible before. I am glad to see the improvement. Good job!

Here's the YouTube clip on #6 kohaku. Turn the volume off.

(Sorry people. My YouTube link is not working somehow. I will submit it later.)

One of them turned out to be a Hi Showa. That was a disappointment. Can you pick out which one?
    #3 is the Hi Showa...??? Looks like lighter color on left side belly....????

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Wow!!! That's 16in growth in one year...very impressive! Good job! What's in your water? :-) She is going be a monster. Mukashi are considered to be the original ogon. If they are as friendly as chaigoi, I would definitely want to have one for my pond. The matsuba like scales on it's body is very appealing.

Sunny
    Actually 2 summers of growth, 2012 and 2013. It didn't seem to take off until this summer. The mukashi is very friendly, just like a chagoi. I have 2 of these and they change colors. In the summer, this one takes on a grayish tint. Then in the colder temps, it takes on a more greenish-yellowish tint. Pretty interesting. You should get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    #3 is the Hi Showa...??? Looks like lighter color on left side belly....????
    YUP! It lost most of its sumi on the fins and the belly. The showa pattern is still ok though. I wanted to throw it out but I couldn't catch it.

#7 ( tancho sanke) is the smallest. It came in at 16 in (40cm) . It is a male and it has very poor conformation. The white is very good on it though.
    So, I guessed wrong on which would be the smallest. The Shiro was the smallest of the Utsuri. Was it the second smallest overall?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    So, I guessed wrong on which would be the smallest. The Shiro was the smallest of the Utsuri. Was it the second smallest overall?
    Actually you guessed pretty good. The Shiro is the second smallest overall. It is only slightly longer than #7 and slightly bulkier at this point. One more growing season and the shiro will be the smallest for sure. It showed the least appetite of all. I switched to a different food this year and it seemed to be eating better but still the slowest.

Is this your experience with Shiros? Is this slow development typical of ginrin Shiros? This one is a ginrin shiro. I have 2 other regular non-ginrin Shiro Utsuri that have great appetite and grew very fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast