Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Culling koi at my house

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Her body looked terrible before. I am glad to see the improvement. Good job!
    I actually liked the shape of its body in the beginning. 9-10 people, including me, picked thru all the boxes one night. Then when I came back a week later for some more pickings, I found this fish that every one thought was defective. It was shaped like a tuna, with a pointy mouth and wide mid section. It is not the biggest of this gosanke group now though. The #8 fish (tancho sanke) is the biggest of the bunch. MikeM was right. That guy is pretty good! #8 is a monster in just 2 seasons. It is only a tiny bit less bulky than the Ogon. Wait till you see it.

Here's one more try at this video

Quote Originally Posted by Si Van Nguyen View Post
    Actually you guessed pretty good. The Shiro is the second smallest overall. It is only slightly longer than #7 and slightly bulkier at this point. One more growing season and the shiro will be the smallest for sure. It showed the least appetite of all. I switched to a different food this year and it seemed to be eating better but still the slowest.

Is this your experience with Shiros? Is this slow development typical of ginrin Shiros? This one is a ginrin shiro. I have 2 other regular non-ginrin Shiro Utsuri that have great appetite and grew very fast.
    My limited experience with tosai Utsuri has been that small tosai (smaller than their siblings) can end up staying very small. I once had a Hi Utsuri that was the slowest grower of all the koi I'd ever kept, so I re-homed her. Her new owner kept her a year and also re-homed her. I saw her in her third home pond when she was gosai... and less than 12 inches long. She was female, and naturally 'bonsai'. I've seen other Utsuri exhibit similar tendencies to stay small. These seem to have small heads and an overall small-boned look to them. I have not seen Sanke stay as small as some Utsuri do. I think it is difficult to find a female Sanke that will not reach 24 inches if given the opportunity. If I was going to produce a line of dwarf koi... 'toy koi' (like toy poodles)... I'd try with Utsuri first.

I am very intrigued with the idea of dwarfed koi (I like your 'toy koi' name !) for a few years now. I want to make a miniature Japanese garden and pond, (kind of like a Vietnamese hon non bo but Japanese style) in order to display some tiny bonsai trees. If I could keep the koi really small, like around 6 inches, then they would fit perfectly into the miniature pond. Can you imagine a koi show where people can bring a whole Japanese garden and pond in on a tray?

At fingerling size, the Utsuri is the most eye-catching of the bunch, because their sumi is nice and dark already. So yeah, start with them first. I am sure the Japanese breeders could breed a new line of dwarf koi very quickly if they set their mind to it. I have thought about keeping only males and starve them at baby size for a few years to permanently stunt their growth and cull out the females that would grow too much, but that's easier said than done.

Can somebody here help me post a YouTube video to this thread? Please. It is titled as "#6 kohaku" by Si Nguyen on YouTube. Thanks in advance. I can not figure out what I am doing wrong. This thread is no good without all the videos that I am planning on adding.

Let me give it a try with your video...hope it works. :-)

Cheers,
    Sunny

Alright! Thanks Sunny!

You are welcome, Si! Look forward to seeing the rest of them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123