Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Optimal Feeding Frequency

I have experimented before feeding multiple times. In fact i have experimented feeding 12x in 24 hours every 2 hours. In the said experiment with tosais I concluded the following:
    1. Some koi tend to over eat and therefore become big quicker.
    2. Some koi that grew faster needed two to three weeks of no feeding to maintain a better conformation.
    3. Some koi that were timid eater grew much less.
    4. Koi sometimes loose their appetite
    5. Waste was more and therefore i suppose there were much higher incidence of undigested feed.
    6. Some koi that lost conformation needed to be fasted.

I have now shifted my feeding technique to just 2 to 4x with more quantity per feed. I find this technique more equitable to all koi and is more safer to older koi.

I currently feed just less than 0.5 percent based on body weight and i dont have problems with growth and conformation now.

I feed a little more than sacicu, at 1%. Have no complaints about growth nor with color degrading. Feed 6x a day, and this frequency helps with preventing ammonia and nitrate spikes, something I read that would affect sumi and shiroji.

I notice male koi eat less and don't grow as fast. And females eat more, especially with floating pellets. Sinking food helps the males eat more. But drop bellies and poor conformation happen, but I accept that as a matter of genes and don't feel altering feeding regimen would serve the general koi population well. I will accept one koi developing a drop belly over compromising the development of the rest.

When I see one koi growing fast with great color development, I feel I'm doing something right as long as the rest of the population are doing okay.

As far as timid koi goes, I have started to isolate in an aquarium to see how I could treat it so its behavior returns to the norm.

Lastly, I will try a low-carb regimen for my drop belly koi soon and see how that goes. I have a gnawing suspicion all those carbs cause some fish to become fat.

Interesting insights into each person's belief and experience.

I'm of an opinion that the first two years of mixed sex propects for growth, should be fed small amounts more frequency.

Regarding females once they reach sexual maturity ( in the 3 year old timeframe) one has to be careful or the protein goes into developing eggs and not body growth.

In japan most hobbists practice the skip a day routine as an opportunity to be able to feed more during each feeding as opposed to a regular and consistent amount each day.

In the past I've learned the value of allowing koi to experience winter to see the benefit over those that were protected with heat and feed year round. In the long run the Koi that went thru winter which included periods of no feed always seemed to grow the best. What that told me was that
    there is a time to feed and a time to lay off. It was during these years that I subscribed to the lowering of protein % food down to wheatgerm before discontinuing feeding.

In the present I have worked more with sinking food which seems to provide adequate amounts to both aggressive and timid eaters. I'm also continuing to feed in lower temperatures during winter. Not allowing the koi to go into stupor but keeping their guts open and working. In my observations I see fish coming out of winter with less issues then in the past. It means feeding less frequently and less amounts, but I like what I'm learning after doing this for two going on three winters. I use the same % of feed year round (49%)

While I can appreciate the story about Steve C. as shared by the Appliance Guy, I do think that in the broader scale of things, fish do better carrying more weight going into winter because it's a natural thing to prepare for . Most major shows in Japan are in the fall and winter.
    In our own country, depending on location, shows come at different times during the growth cycle of spring and summer. I think this puts our Koi at a definite disadvantage to seasonal development which in the long run can cause health issues.

like most things Koi, the more you learn, the more you realize there is to learn. No two ponds are alike and certainly no two regions in this large nation have many similarities. I think each region needs to have it's own understanding. I think to aquire proper knowledge is to
    respect what others are sharing but to find a mentor eho is sucessful in your own "neck of the woods" and emulate what they do.

As I look back over the decades I've see constant progress in the koi themselves, the methods of filtration and it seems all parts of the hobby. Nothing stays the same. Everything is constantly being challenged. Like the little steam engine that could in children's stories, you can find a siding to pull off to when you think you've "arrived" or you can continue to huff and puff with advancement.
    Dick Benbow

One feature I wish feeders would have is a "random" feature.It makes sense to me that offering random amounts at random times, but having the same amount fed each day, would be beneficial. It would more closely mimic a wild fish's natural manner of foraging. It would also keep the fish from "food boredom" and maybe help smaller, more timid eaters get a chance to eat more. It just seems better to me, more natural.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12