Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hydroponics and koi ponds - Who is doing this!!

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    How is the setup for the 300gal QT? Submersible pump from QT to filter (mechanical+bio) to grow bed and back to QT using a bell siphon?
    I have the QT piped to the bottom portion of a trashcan that is set up to separate the heavy debris. Three layers of J-Mat at mid-level, first stage biological section. Submersible pump right above the J-Mat pulling water through the J-Mat and then pumped into second stage biological filter. This is where I have retrofitted a hand-me-down filter box that was lying around my dad's place (Biotech4). I filled it with ceramic media and oyster shells with the filter sponges. Water flows through and back to the QT. Set up working really well. I had a problem with algae for a little while because I didn't use a UV clarifier. I broke down and added one to the system because I couldn't see the koi. 8 days after hooking up the UV, I got my clear water back.

The second stage filtration is where I was thinking of placing the grow beds (instead of the filter box), but I have a feeling once I take down the UV clarifier from the system, I'll get green water again...we'll see. I'm still in need of a QT before switching over to a full aquaponics system.

I get it now Akai-san. That filter setup is very compact and practical. You said earlier that you're testing 0,0,0 ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. But I don't understand how you manage to get zero nitrate. You have a nitrification cycle going which is producing nitrates as a by-product. Where are your nitrates going?

p.s. Is your pre-filter like this:

Anoxic Filtration System: An Effective Homemade Pre-filter That’s Easy To Make.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    I get it now Akai-san. That filter setup is very compact and practical. You said earlier that you're testing 0,0,0 ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. But I don't understand how you manage to get zero nitrate. You have a nitrification cycle going which is producing nitrates as a by-product. Where are your nitrates going?

p.s. Is your pre-filter like this:

Anoxic Filtration System: An Effective Homemade Pre-filter That’s Easy To Make.
    I still do water changes on the QT, so I guess that is where the nitrates might go...back to my lawn. That is the very reason I was thinking to get those leafy vegetables involved. Then I was hoping that the water changes would happen much less than once a week. I'm not sure why my nitrates are pumping in at ZERO. Having a lot of OR just enough biological media for the setup is something that I feel is the difference between failure and success.

My trashcan pre-filter is much less sophisticated then what you have in the link. I literally have a large rubber 44 gallon trashcan with 2" bulkheads drilled through the trashcan at the vertical/bottom half of the can to accommodate the first stage pre-filter intake from the pond. The J-Mat is used midway of the trashcan just to separate the solids and water pumped from the top of the can. I still have to drain the bottom of the trashcan to get rid of the heavy debris. It was really easy to throw together. I actually just built another one because I had an extra trashcan and J-Mat/Matala mats lying around the yard. Ready for my next QT!

Check out the Flatrock koi website for contact info. Vicki has a good growing system in their greenhouse. Gene G.

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    I still do water changes on the QT, so I guess that is where the nitrates might go...back to my lawn. That is the very reason I was thinking to get those leafy vegetables involved. Then I was hoping that the water changes would happen much less than once a week. I'm not sure why my nitrates are pumping in at ZERO. Having a lot of OR just enough biological media for the setup is something that I feel is the difference between failure and success.

My trashcan pre-filter is much less sophisticated then what you have in the link. I literally have a large rubber 44 gallon trashcan with 2" bulkheads drilled through the trashcan at the vertical/bottom half of the can to accommodate the first stage pre-filter intake from the pond. The J-Mat is used midway of the trashcan just to separate the solids and water pumped from the top of the can. I still have to drain the bottom of the trashcan to get rid of the heavy debris. It was really easy to throw together. I actually just built another one because I had an extra trashcan and J-Mat/Matala mats lying around the yard. Ready for my next QT!
    Maybe you are showering/trickling water into the ceramic media which gasses off the nitrate. If you replace the bio filter with a grow bed, you will need to cycle up the grow bed first. May have to cycle up offline with ammonia before using the grow bed in your QT. And once running, test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and adjust your setup. If nitrate is high, you can either add an anoxic RSG filter (using laterite etc etc). As for algae, I would recommend using beneficial/effective microorganisms such as EM-1 to control it, although it is said that an anoxic filter would take care of both phosphate and nitrate. It's all a matter of testing all these ideas to find one setup that works. OTOH, I may go totally anoxic and still have some plants growing, although I don't know if an anoxic filter is as useful as a grow bed as far as variety of plants to be grown. Exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by holsteinkoi View Post
    Check out the Flatrock koi website for contact info. Vicki has a good growing system in their greenhouse. Gene G.
    It's an aquaponic system she has?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12