Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New showa

Get the camera warmed up and share your good fortune!

I like your new Showa! Nice body confirmation, and looks female, though you never stated. Nice shiroji in the photo, but best of all, you clearly 'bought for the beni' and 'bet on the sumi'. I really like the amount of beni she (?) carries, and the way the sumi, when fully 'up', will nicely offset the beni pattern without too much overlap to 'muddy' the look. If that sumi comes up as expected, I think I would classify her as 'old school Showa', my favorite as opposed to kindai, so much in favor right now. Anyway you want to label it, she looks to be a show-stopper. Congratulations, and this fish, alone, may make me want to take a trip up to the Atlanta Show next year, just to see it live.

On a separate note, please tell us how you utilize QT starting in November. Even in Atlanta the temps will really get down there at times. Do you heat your QT at all, or just bring them into an indoor tank for the duration? I ask as I have experienced a few issues with 'new' fish in an outdoor QT environment, even in here in north Florida.

MCA
    The old style showa is a female. She has a hook pattern on her forehead. It is tempting to call her Captain Hook. Ha ha. I think it may be for her to be presented to the show circuit, say in Orlando. So much depends on how Hook grows and matures in 2014. I will only start to know by mid 2014.

When I purchase from Carl and Vicki I don't QT as there would not be any value added by me. Vicki is a microbiologist who tests and treats the fish for all pathogens in their climate controlled greenhouse. The only fish in the greenhouse are from the Friday shipment. So no mixing with any fish that were not part of the shipment. Their water is very similar to mine. If I tried to QT, all I would add is stress to the fish. That is why for years they at the only folks from which we purchase koi. We are lucky to have them nearby.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    The old style showa is a female. She has a hook pattern on her forehead. It is tempting to call her Captain Hook. Ha ha. I think it may be for her to be presented to the show circuit, say in Orlando. So much depends on how Hook grows and matures in 2014. I will only start to know by mid 2014.

When I purchase from Carl and Vicki I don't QT as there would not be any value added by me. Vicki is a microbiologist who tests and treats the fish for all pathogens in their climate controlled greenhouse. The only fish in the greenhouse are from the Friday shipment. So no mixing with any fish that were not part of the shipment. Their water is very similar to mine. If I tried to QT, all I would add is stress to the fish. That is why for years they at the only folks from which we purchase koi. We are lucky to have them nearby.
    Nice showa Michael..........I hope it develops into all you want it to be. You're really fortunate to have Vicki doing the quarantine for you under ideal circumstances..

Wow! I really like this Showa. It will be interesting to see it when the sumi finishes. Best of luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12