Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: how to manage a mud pond

Tim, Mat has said he can see how the smaller Koi are acting that tells him the pond needs to be walked. Years ago NKF had ladies that would walk around the mud ponds for exercise, they ended up walking the ponds for them I believe.

That's interesting indeed. Gonna digest this a while and think of both reasons to do so and what might be observed.

In reef aquaria I would occassionally advise a light surface stirring of the sand bed. While there was no 'test' for when or why to do such, an observation would lead me to advise it. Sometimes things can't be explained.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Tim, Mat has said he can see how the smaller Koi are acting that tells him the pond needs to be walked. Years ago NKF had ladies that would walk around the mud ponds for exercise, they ended up walking the ponds for them I believe.
    Troy, I'm not sure if you or Tim had a chance to read the quote from Mat's website I included in post 37. It sounds like they walk the ponds as a preventative and not based on fry behavior. It also sounds like the frequency and duration is evolving. I just don't understand how gases would be building up that quickly, that they would need to be walked weekly. I never walk my fry ponds and have never had a large fry die off, but I probably have far less density of fry. It almost sounds like a low oxygen problem and not a gas buildup. It's all based on fairly weak anecdotal evidence......... or so it sounds. ( Go to the Quality Koi web site and read the first part of the quote Quality Koi Company � Walking the Ponds � Nisei Koi Farm USA )At any rate I would think scrapping the sediment layer off the bottom of the ponds would help get rid of the obvious nasty stuff building up down there. Sure would be less labor intensive than all the pond walking.

I was up at NKF last fall for the AKJA Judging Seminar. During our walk around the farm Mat spoke about walking the ponds. Other then that I don't recall or know details.

Not sure why I haven't experienced similar problems, but maybe the snappers, heron, and otters are accomplishing the same thing. I knew they must have some purpose.

Quality Koi Company � Walking the Ponds � Nisei Koi Farm USA )At any rate I would think scrapping the sediment layer off the bottom of the ponds would help get rid of the obvious nasty stuff building up down there. Sure would be less labor intensive than all the pond walking.[/QUOTE]
    The soil is sandy so far more sediment build up as well as high water levels. You can bet that Matt does everything as economically as he can.
    At Momotaro the banks are lined with a fabric so a little erosion but they can drain all the water and then rototill
    When I dug my pond I went down over 20ft in one area so that the sediment would settle there. Even with clay sides in a matter of a 100 years the pond will fill itself.
    For breeding I have a small inlet which I can corden off and I stirr up the mud with a post dafnia come back every year there. Last year lost all fry to a sudden cold spell so bought some tosai from Matt that were over wintered. A lot lower cost than trying to raise them. Besides will be 77 this year and some health issues.
    Regards
    Eugene

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345